Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is It Really Worth Getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the MS20 stays on my list of gadgets that I want. It does seem like it would be a lot of fun the more I think about it. Of course with the huge backlog I think I will be lucky to find one before year end.

The lack of any ability to save presets bothered me at first and i still wish there had been some presets but I suppose I can adjust. Even though the Sub Phatty has presets I find that I'm often resetting the knobs to the preset positions to give me a starting point for tweaking during a performance so I guess it's not much different than not having presets at all.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are being driven bonkers waiting for their units. Exiting times for analogue.
The ms20m is deffo not for the preset fan but i see the new novation bass station 2 is a mean looking contender.
A bit off topic i know but i see that with the bs2 they did address a lot of what people have been asking for in an analogue mono, including presets. Worth checking out its specs imo.

I wouldn't dream of detracting from the ms20m though (Still flying the flag for it) but that doesn't change the fact that we all need the right gear for the proposed job in hand.

Are you planning on using the ms20m for live work then ? I guess that the sub phatty's preset section, like the bass station 2 is aimed mainly at live sets. What do you get, like 6 or 8 presets or are they banks ?? Just enough for a decent length gig. Damn good feature in that respect.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to use the ms20 live but setting up the patch cables might take to long depending on what is needed. The sub phatty would be better live. It has 4 banks of 4 presets so its only 2 buttons to change presets. Plus there is a mode for the knobs where changes dont occur until you turn them past their current setting so that helps for smoother live tweaking. You can also load other preset banks if you bring along a laptop.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:

The lack of any ability to save presets bothered me at first and i still wish there had been some presets but I suppose I can adjust.

I have a minibrute and lots of people were complaining about this, but in the end, this lack of functionality just forces you to get better.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. In the end it's a real instrument. There's no need for a lot of patch cables in a stage performance either & if you had a pre-practiced patch it's quick enough to do.
There's plenty of good sounds to explore with the standard hard wired face board alone & it does give easy access to sounds that are recognizable & easily useful. Just a case of taking the time to get to know the unit just like any other. Remove the patch panel from your mind at first & it won't take as long to get to know it as it would a full blown V/A's interface (Some of those features never get realised)

It always looks to me ,whenever i see a video example of live use of the ms20 that it's there as an extra synth. The musician reaching for it occasionally.

It's easy to see though WHY there was a demand for memory banks in the first place.
Here we have a synth that essentially preceded that next step in the evolution. There may well be old hands in the game out there who look at the new mini & just say "never again".
I can't imagine any other synth able to quite replicate its sound though. There's a distinct character oozing from it ! Cool
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially very excited about the MS20 Mini, but my interest is waning fast.

Here in Australia, the first and only shipment just arrived two weeks ago. I don't believe any stores have received any stock yet. I believe a total of 8 demo units have been distributed nationally.

There's no guidance as to which retailers will be receiving stock, or how much - so placing a preorder is a complete gamble and it's quite possible pre-order may not be fulfilled until the next shipment - which could easily be the end of the year.

So the more time to think about it, the more I think that the MS20 in the Kronos and Legacy collections is probably sufficient. And the more I think that maybe an alternative, such as a Prophet 08, Minibrute or the new BassStation would expand my sonic palette and be a better investment of funds.

Not blaming Korg, but I do wish there was better communication about stock levels.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially very excited about the MS20 Mini, but my interest is waning fast.

Here in Australia, the first and only shipment just arrived two weeks ago. I don't believe any stores have received any stock yet. I believe a total of 8 demo units have been distributed nationally.

There's no guidance as to which retailers will be receiving stock, or how much - so placing a preorder is a complete gamble and it's quite possible pre-order may not be fulfilled until the next shipment - which could easily be the end of the year.

So the more time to think about it, the more I think that the MS20 in the Kronos and Legacy collections is probably sufficient. And the more I think that maybe an alternative, such as a Prophet 08, Minibrute or the new BassStation would expand my sonic palette and be a better investment of funds.

Not blaming Korg, but I do wish there was better communication about stock levels.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
It always looks to me ,whenever i see a video example of live use of the ms20 that it's there as an extra synth. The musician reaching for it occasionally.

It's too bad that it's only reached for on occasion. When you have an extensive control surface with many knobs and a patch panel every controller should be played and utilized in the best way possible. That's what they are there for.

SeedyLee wrote:

I am seeing a fading interest here too due to the huge backlog. I do blame Korg. They have a lot of new machines coming out and they were not prepared for the demand. In any case I hope that Korg does nor further reduce the build quality of their products just so they can keep up with demand.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:

I am seeing a fading interest here too due to the huge backlog.

I thought this might happen. I couldn't think of anything else but the MS-20 when it was announced earlier this year, but as times goes by I am less fired up to get one. These things are impulse buys and there's nothing wrong with that, but honestly you gotta have stock when you announce them. I will get one eventually, either one in stock when the fuss is over and they aren't selling, or second hand.

B
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious but if you have a Kronos why would you want the mini? I like the ms20 in the Kronos but don't know what ia would do with the mini, much rather put the cash into something I don't have. I ask because I don't understand.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Just curious but if you have a Kronos why would you want the mini? I like the ms20 in the Kronos but don't know what ia would do with the mini, much rather put the cash into something I don't have. I ask because I don't understand.

Why would you want the MS20 Mini IF you have Kronos or also if you have iMS20 or the Legacy PlugIn’s or another Mono Synth in the same price range and class. That’s, a very good question that I keep asking myself.

Well, if you want 100 percent analog hardware and you don’t already have something that’s close to cover that then it’s a good addition to your rig; otherwise maybe not so much. That’s exactly why I’m on the fence with the MS20 myself. I have the iMS20 so I have the basic architecture and sound. I have a Sub Phatty for the pure analog hardware goodness. My Prophet 12 arrives in a few days for the flexibility. So for me the MS20 mini is now something that is not of necessity but just of wanting because it’s cool.

I wonder how much I would really use it after the initial “new toy” factor wears off. I suspect I wouldn’t use it enough to justify the money I spent. In fact, I’m beginning to wonder if I would find having to deal with a real patch panel and cables an annoyance rather than a benefit at this point. But as I have said before, I will likely break down and get one at some point, it’s just no longer a top priority.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't used the software version but i saw some patching demo's on youtube & the time it took the guy to make one patch cable connection i had stuck ten in my mini.

Thing is, the whole thing about weather or not it's worth getting or why ,when you can have a simulation in another synth or software,is subjective. Different for every individual.
For me, i use no software synths at all. Don't like 'em, don't want 'em but that's just me & i don't expect the world to follow. I also have zero issues with soft synths at the same time. Courses for horses & all that. YET, i love v/a's...It's a hardware thing !

I can say as a new owner of the ms20 mini that i find it very useful, intuitive, diverse enough to use in anything & always tempting me to look further into it.
It was clear pretty quickly after getting it that it was going to be a mainstay in my set up. It has a character that none of my other gear (Current & past) has & is easily & quickly accessed for sound editing. No messing about with screens & menus .You get out what you tell it to put out straight away but it still has surprises to offer.
It's obvious to me that the unit will still be useful in years to come & that it has been used in more productions than anyone could ever count.

In my opinion there is no substitute for it, having the hardware there in front of me is the only way i want it. I know that when i power it up, all i get is ms20 & that's it !

I also know that there plenty of people out there who get a lot out of different software synths (Let's face it, they are going from strength to strength) & i respect those methods very much which brings me back to my point ...To each their own preference & you make your own rules (If any)

Just the fact though that so many hardware synthesizers are being produced still & particularly an analogue market stronger than ever now shows that i'm not the only one who prefers hardware. Seems to be of much discussion these days ! Cool
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hardware as well but I was curious what was driven others to chase the mini. I do get tempted on occasion but not enough to change my want list and bump it up. Thanks for sharing!
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:

For me it's the raw, gritty sound of the MS-20 (yes, including the much maligned noise of the Mini). I've heard some of the emulations and they're damned good, maybe even get 90% there in terms of sound, but that last 10% is the roughness that I personally like and have to have. I've owned the Monotrons, the Monotribe, and an MS-10. I just love that Korg35 filter! I also love twisting knobs and patching cables. Aesthetics can help get me into a certain kind of zone and mindset and the MS-20/Mini really nails it. Nothing against soft synths, or VAs or anything. Those have their place as well!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I like hardware as well but I was curious what was driven others to chase the mini. I do get tempted on occasion but not enough to change my want list and bump it up. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome & i don't see any reason why you or anyone else should buy this synth if you already have a satisfying set up.
I went & got mine because when i saw it announced earlier in 2013 i did my first ever double-back-flip while my head spun around ! Laughing
I always looked at the ms20 & wanted wanted wanted. Then as if by magic, it became affordable...Yes please !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: