Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 and RH3 keyboard faulty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
...McHale responding to my post in a very mature way with a fail pic, it sort of makes you look like you simply won't hear a bad word said about your beloved Korg and makes the prospect of any reasoned debate from you seem very very unlikely.

No Joe, the EPIC FAIL pic is because you feel this thread is your soapbox to air every grievance you've ever had. We're trying to keep this ON topic about the specific issue. Your post I initially commented to and your last post EPICLY FAILED at staying on topic... or anywhere near it.

Korg has acknowledged the issue and are currently working on a resolution. Until one is found, what would you like them to say? That they are praying for you or are curious how your day went? Korg's philosophy on commenting on forums isn't new. When there is something to say, they will. They are not going to come into these extremely negative threads and try to respond to every off handed slam that comes their way. That's a no win for them personally or as a company. Korg is extremely professional, despite what your posts seem to elude to.

Forums are here to discuss and help others, not just complain to make yourself feel better. Staying positive and constructive is useful to a forum. Extremely negative comments does nothing to contribute unless you're trying to fire people up for a class action lawsuit or a good old fashion lynching.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
keyplayer14 wrote:
Of course, but usually as a consequence of poorly regulated or worn out actions. What percentage of Steinways do you suppose exhibit the behaviour from brand new?

It's also (and more usually) caused by playing style and technique. It happens on BRAND new pianos as well as old ones.

I sold my 25 year old Steinway to buy a Shigeru. In my 35 years of playing I have never experienced the crap I'm experiencing with the RH3. Trying to suggest that this is happening on the RH3 as a result of improper playing technique is just ridiculous.
d3k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(erased)...

Last edited by d3k on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
keyplayer14 wrote:
Of course, but usually as a consequence of poorly regulated or worn out actions. What percentage of Steinways do you suppose exhibit the behaviour from brand new?

It's also (and more usually) caused by playing style and technique. It happens on BRAND new pianos as well as old ones.

Sorry, can't agree with this. Technique is rarely the issue unless it's EXTEMELY poor. New pianos will often require some settling in time, and maybe some regulation to correct any problems - but double striking is most often the result of regulation issues.

I actually can't recall the last time I came across double striking on an acoustic piano, certainly not a new one - and I play a lot of them.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyplayer14 wrote:
Sorry, can't agree with this. Technique is rarely the issue unless it's EXTEMELY poor.

You're wrong. Using Google will tell you this. But don't let facts stand in the way of a good lynching. Googling "double strike piano technique" gave me these results at the very top:

http://www.kenfoster.com/PianoTuning/Technique.html

It is also important that you allow your fingers to continue down to the key bed, even though your hammer has already been released. This is a safety feature that is regulated into a well maintained piano allowing the action parts to reset themselves (referred to as aftertouch). If this is not done, you might be experiencing double strikes, poor tone and sluggish repetition.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/3/topic/002951/Number/0/site_id/1#import

In the discussion titled, "How do I fix double striking in an upright?", you'll read this:

Any technician can "fake" double striking in a piano by knowing just when to stop pressing the key. While it is entirely possible that some action parameters have fallen short, it is also equally possible that the pianist feels the point of escapement (also called "let-off") of the action and when attempting to play very softly and stops pressing the key at that point. The hammer then rebounds on top of the jack. Americans call this "hammer bobbling", the French Canadians call it "dancing".

And *WHY* does that happen:

http://www.piano-play-it.com/piano-techniques.html

Piano Technique - Escapement mechanism!

The piano action involves a special "escapement mechanism": Just an instant before the hammer strikes the string, the hammer "escapes" from its connection with the key; hence it bounces back a little bit after striking the string. When you release the key, the hammer goes back to its original position and is ready for the next time you play it..

The special double-repetition mechanism of the grand piano

In grand pianos the action is more complicated. It is based on a double-repetition mechanism: After the hammer strikes the string, the lever catches the hammer again close to the string, and by that enables you to play key again immediately.

Let me try and explain in a different way,

In upright pianos, if you want to play the same key again, you have to release it almost up to its original position, while in grand pianos you just have to lift up the key a little bit in order to play it again. This special mechanism enables various piano technique the envolve very fast repetitions on the same key and fast trills.

Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
d3k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed earlier this evening that the gap between my keys and the front metal housing was uneven just like rmvieira stated. There was about a 1-2mm separation at the left-most and right-most keys but near middle C there was almost no separation whatsoever.

I used a key card (basically credit card but one that had no raised digits), inserted it into the gap between the keys and the front metal housing and pulled out a bit to even the gap. This was pretty easy as it turns out the front metal housing bends pretty damn easily... guess that's why Korg had the cardboard spacer.

Anyhow, I thought it had made the cutoff go away but unfortunately, it did not help. The gap is now even across all keys yet I still have the issue.
d3k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Pardon my lack of official vocab/terms -- I'm just a hobbyist)

I have not opened up my keyboard (and will not do so) so I have no idea what the mechanism is on the RH3. But based on the link sent out by McHale, I feel that the primary issue here are two things:

a.) The force that returns the key to the unpressed position is very strong on the RH3

b.) The damper (whatever electronic or physical equivalent is used on the RH3) engages too quickly (not much tolerance here)

I've watched my fingers while I play. If I play hard or while playing softly I consciously put the effort into to prevent my fingers from lifting due to the key's rebound effect, I can avoid the issue. But as soon as I relax and/or allow my fingers to lift under the force of the key rebounding, I get the cutoff. The damper seems to kick in on an upward lift of the key of only 1-2mm. That's not much tolerance. So if your finger bounces, well, cutoff.

We could prove this by videotaping those of us having the issue and seeing in the case where the cutoff occurs, whether our fingers 'bounce'.

Now I'm not sure if this is a technique issue or not. And McHale's link discusses how uprights usually don't engage the damper until the key is almost all the way up whereas grand pianos engage the damper on a slight lift of the key. But I would think that if the force or damper tolerance was configurable somehow, this would be a non-issue. If this is governed electronically, I think a software change could fix it. But if the mechanism is all mechanical, I would think we're out of luck. Also on a mechanical mechanism, variations during manufacturing could cause this force/tolerance to be different on the various keyboards sent out and it could be different across keys.

As of right now, I can repro on demand on every key on my keyboard.
d3k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I just skimmed through the PDF of the manual I have for the Kronos and there seems to be an adjustment in the menus for keyboard response velocity and after touch curve. I wonder if adjusting this can lessen the effects I mentioned in my message above?

Edit: nope, didn't help. Oh well.

Last edited by d3k on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
keyplayer14 wrote:
Sorry, can't agree with this. Technique is rarely the issue unless it's EXTEMELY poor.

You're wrong. Using Google will tell you this. But don't let facts stand in the way of a good lynching. Googling "double strike piano technique" gave me these results at the very top:

It is also important that you allow your fingers to continue down to the key bed, even though your hammer has already been released. This is a safety feature that is regulated into a well maintained piano allowing the action parts to reset themselves (referred to as aftertouch). If this is not done, you might be experiencing double strikes, poor tone and sluggish repetition.

And I can't agree on your opinion, McHale. During my long search for the perfect piano action 7 years ago, I played a LOT of different keyboards from Yamaha, Roland, Kawai (the MP-9000 was incredible!), even some General Music products. I also own an upright Yamaha Piano and have played grand pianos in concerts. NONE have exhibited the problem I found in my Kronos. To even suggest, this was a problem of poor playing technique is absolutely ridiculous. But I understand, that you haven't tried playing a faulty Kronos? I recommend you do, because then you see what's going on here.

The last time I spoke to the repair man about my Kronos, I asked him about the build quality and what was his opinion on the problem. He didn't want to speculate too much, but he did say two things: my keybed was assembled somewhat sloppy (some black keys hammers weren't aligned correctly, causing a little clicking sound) and he found plastic materials in the keybed, he wouldn't use himself if he built a quality product. Now, these are of course one man's speculations, but at least they come from a professional who has repaired a lot of keyboards.

I wonder, if cutting costs is the ultimate reason of this problem. And because there is no easy or cheap way to fix this (if there was, I bet they had come out with it already), Korg is in a problematic situation: should they handle this in a responsible matter by recalling a bunch of keyboards or still try to find a software fix which doesn't jeopardize fast playing techniques? Whatever they do, they'd better do it fast. This issue has been on for at least 3 months.

I really hate to speculate like this, but because Korg's is silent, that's all we can do at the moment. I do however agree with Bruce: Korg did NOT lie about the less than 1% REPORTED faulty keybeds. They were clever about the chosen words . Unfortunately it seems, that there are a lot of faulty keybeds out there. Looking at PianoManChuck's experiences with 3 faulty Kroni, logic and Occam's razor theory (it's more likely to win the lottery than to have 3 bad units in a row, if <1% of the products have the issue) dictate that there are indeed more problems than some here care to admit. I'm not saying this, because I wan't to start a fight who is right and who is wrong. Believe me, I really wish I was wrong, but looking at this thread and reports from people...
KorgKeymaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the note cutoff/double strike not being caused by poor piano technique.

If it were poor piano technique then I would not only experience it on the Kronos 88/73. It's actually pretty insulting for someone to even bring up piano technique as a possible cause IMHO. I can't speak for everyone else but I have been playing for many years and have several years of formal training not only in classical but other styles as well. I have played and performed on all the high end weighted keyboards (Fantom G, Motif, m3, Nord etc) and top pianos around the world (Fazioli, Steinway NY & Hbg, Bosendorfer). IT IS NOT AN ISSUE OF PIANO TECHNIQUE!

The only time I have experienced double strikes on acoustic pianos were when the action needed regulation and the strikes were ALWAYS confined to certain notes.

I am well aware of the correct way to produce soft tones when playing. You still must play into the keys even while playing soft if you want a full tone. However, while doing so cutoffs/double strikes still occur on Kronos. The only way to avoid the problem is to totally switch the amount of force you are playing with by increasing it, thus rendering a tone at a higher velocity...aka play harder and louder.

More food for thought... Roland experienced a cutoff/note stealing issue with their RD-700NX... They kept in touch with their customers and fixed the problem through a software update. I'm aware that Korg's issue may be hardware related. The point I am making is that Roland handled it in a relatively prompt but professional manner, thus retaining many happy customers.

Last edited by KorgKeymaster on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale is right...I've just experimented and discovered that my technique, after so many years of playing Rachmaninoff, Debussy etc, requires adjustment.

Thanks to McHale i now play with my penis...problem fixed. Thanks Mckie old boy...

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
keyplayer14 wrote:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/3/topic/002951/Number/0/site_id/1#import

In the discussion titled, "How do I fix double striking in an upright?", you'll read this:

Any technician can "fake" double striking in a piano by knowing just when to stop pressing the key. While it is entirely possible that some action parameters have fallen short, it is also equally possible that the pianist feels the point of escapement (also called "let-off") of the action and when attempting to play very softly and stops pressing the key at that point. The hammer then rebounds on top of the jack. Americans call this "hammer bobbling", the French Canadians call it "dancing".

And *WHY* does that happen:

http://www.piano-play-it.com/piano-techniques.html

Piano Technique - Escapement mechanism!

The piano action involves a special "escapement mechanism": Just an instant before the hammer strikes the string, the hammer "escapes" from its connection with the key; hence it bounces back a little bit after striking the string. When you release the key, the hammer goes back to its original position and is ready for the next time you play it..

The special double-repetition mechanism of the grand piano

In grand pianos the action is more complicated. It is based on a double-repetition mechanism: After the hammer strikes the string, the lever catches the hammer again close to the string, and by that enables you to play key again immediately.

Let me try and explain in a different way,

In upright pianos, if you want to play the same key again, you have to release it almost up to its original position, while in grand pianos you just have to lift up the key a little bit in order to play it again. This special mechanism enables various piano technique the envolve very fast repetitions on the same key and fast trills.

Double striking can happen on an upright when it is poorly regulated or when the player mistakenly/intentionally releases at the point of escapement rather than pressing down completely on the key. RH3 doesn't even have escapement let alone try to emulate the escapement feeling. I'm not sure why you think this is relevant to what is going on with the RH3.

The lengthy discussion of the difference between escapement and double escapement has even less to do with the issue. The double escapement mechanism that allows for partial release repeats is the very reason double strikes don't happen on grand pianos.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:

Double striking can happen on an upright when it is poorly regulated or when the player mistakenly/intentionally releases at the point of escapement rather than pressing down completely on the key. RH3 doesn't even have escapement let alone try to emulate the escapement feeling. I'm not sure why you think this is relevant to what is going on with the RH3.

The lengthy discussion of the difference between escapement and double escapement has even less to do with the issue. The double escapement mechanism that allows for partial release repeats is the very reason double strikes don't happen on grand pianos.

It's relevant because folks have posted relentlessly saying that real pianos never double strike. Well, guess what... they do!

When I first brought up the issue of technique, I said essentially what you said here. If the player doesn't hold the key at the bottom of the keybed, the double bounce will occur. There may not be an escapement mechanism, but it does double bounce if not held at the bottom of the bed.

As I have played my K73 and observed the phenomenon, I've come to the conclusion that the instrument actually speaks too early in the key throw. The player hears the tone and the fingers respond by stopping too soon. Keep in mind, I'm talking VERY minuscule dimensions here, maybe less than millimeter.

McHale has been flamed for defending Korg. He and I are just trying to cut through the hype and find the facts. On the other hand, several members seem extremely offended that technique might solve the issue. Please understand that we are not saying that anyone has bad technique.

We're not saying that the problem is caused by technique. We're saying it's solved by a slight adjustment to technique.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To McHale:

Thanks for the research. Well done. I haven't read this thread for a while. When I came in this AM, I was pleased to read your info.

Sincerely,

Dan
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be possible that the major earthquake that Japan had right near the Korg warehouse has something to do with all of the problems the Kronos is having because I remember the earthquake happen around the same time the Kronos was ready to ship ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 73 of 110

Jump to: