Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA300 Midi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Sargent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: PA300 Midi Reply with quote

This is my first post so I hope it is going where it needs to be. I am trying to control my PA300 with a computer using the device port. I am trying to write a program on a computer to control the style, voice/sound, transposition, volume and so forth. To adjust the volume I am sending a control_change message of 0xB0 with the zero at the end being the channel number, the CC# number which is seven to adjust the volume and finally the volume amount which is 100. So what I am sending is 0xB0, 7, 100. It seems to me if the Korg uses standard midi controls and I am reading page 376 of the manual correctly the data I am sending should be 0xB0, 7, 100. It does not work. Anyone with any ideas? Oh, I might add the only thing I have set in the PA300 is the in channel and I have channel 0 set to control. Thanks
sridharar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have my own custom, comprehensive well-tested running code for real time control of PA600, for generating midi files, styles, rpn/nrpns etc.

These are in Jupyter/Python (not the latest environment, as upgrades almost always breaks many libraries and syntax changes as well. So my code as well).

I would assume that PA300 Midi Implementation should be almost identical to PA600 (and other PAs).

What is your programming language?

I can answer your questions in general, but I thought I should respond this way first, before looking into your specific question(s).

Sri.

Shared Area https://tinyurl.com/ybf5ucga
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA
sridharar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what I am sending is

0xB0, 7, 100

I am not sure what language/midisend message you are using to send this sequence.

Just would say..

Make sure that you are using INT or Hex values for the arguments correctly.

Sri.

Shared Area https://tinyurl.com/ybf5ucga
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: PA300 Midi Reply with quote

Al Sargent wrote:
...am trying to control my PA300 with a computer using the device port. ....

To control the Pa300 with the computer, any monitor program such as MIDI-OX, which is available for download as freeware, is sufficient.

You can then control all components of the Pa300 with the MIDI messages listed in the Pa300 implementation chart. Such a monitor program is also well suited for learning how to use MIDI commands.

Since the different components of the Pa300 are more than just a single MIDI device with a tone generator, but also a MIDI keyboard, a sequencer, an automatic chord, a controller, etc., it is crucial to assign these groups corresponding MIDI channels .

I don't understand why you define channel 1 as a control channel, because the control channel is a special channel of the Pa300
to remotely select the various style elements on the Pa300 by sending it program change messages on this control channel, or to remotely send various commands to the Pa300's style and player by sending it program change messages on the control channel (see “MIDI: MIDI In Channels” on pages 160 and 378 of the manual).

If you just want to send a simple volume message via Midi, you first need to determine which channel you want to send on and which track of a device (Upper1, Upper2, Upper3, Lower, Drums, Percussions, Bass, Acc1 - Acc3, Player2/ 2 with tracks 1 - 16) this message should be received.

Examples
xB0/07/40 is a control message (xB0) on Channel1 with a volume (x07) of decimal 64 (x40).
xBF/07/50 is a control message (xBF) on Channel16 with a volume (x07) of decimal 80 (x50).
x9F/3C/42 is a NoteOn message on Channel 16 with pitch middle "C" (C4) and a velocity of 68.
x91/47/64 is a NoteOn message on Channel 2 with pitch middle "B" (B4) and a velocity of 100.
xD2/32 is a channel aftertouch on Channel 3 with a value of 50.
xB2/00/79 + xB2/20/04 + xC2/18 is a chain for program change command on Channel 3 (Bank MSB + LSB + ProgramChange) to Program 24 (Nylon Guitar).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: