Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better sound?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazenko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Better sound? Reply with quote

Since I'm not particularly proficient in software or hardware, but I can very well distinguish good sound from bad sound, I have a question for the knowledgeable members of this forum.

What software and/or hardware changes or innovations does the Pa5x have compared to the Pa4x?

Or put another way, what really justifies objectively stating that the Pa5x sounds "better" than the Pa4x (both in a living room and on stage with a powerful PA system)?

The question occurred to me when I saw a comparison video between Korg Nautilus and Pa5x on YouTube.
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finalizer (Limiter + EQ) for sure when it comes to software.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Or put another way, what really justifies objectively stating that the Pa5x sounds "better" than the Pa4x (both in a living room and on stage with a powerful PA system)?”

The issue cannot be answered “objectively” as we are interpreting sound internally and subjectively through our ears and tastes and preferences .

“Better “ is one of those words that is too open for individual preference .

I say this all the time , Specifications and technological improvements don’t mean squat .

Your ears are your only judgement tool .

Just rely upon that because if you can’t hear an improved sound either in your home or on stage then it doesn’t matter how many paragraphs someone may spew out about why one piece of hardware or software is better than the other .
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth is quite right in what he is saying. For me, if PA5X had not sounded better than my outgoing PA4X, I would have probably handed back the PA5X at the beginning for return of my PA4X, this fact alone has me holding on while waiting for Korg to finish this product.
mstodola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound different because the Pa4x and Pa5x have different sounds that have been mixed differently. The main piano for the Pa4x is a German Grand (Steinway of some sort) and the main (first piano) for the Pa5x is an Italian Grand of some sort which is much brighter. Both sound good to my ears. I usually add a little (volume wise) legacy hybrid epiano to the keyboard set of the German grand on the Pa4x to brighten it up and to me it sounds very good. Like it has been said, it is up to what a person likes and needs for whatever environment and sound system and type of music being played. Unless you are in a studio I don't think you could tell. And there are so many ways one can change the way things sound in both units ...... Better ..... too ambiguous. Diffferent ... definitely. But both sound very pleasing to my ears and others that I know. That's why I still own both.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Italian, German, Austrian and Japanese Grands on my Pa5X sound vastly better than the dull muted German Grand did on prior Pa models.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fair comparison is to load the same Style/custom sound with samples in both Pa4X & Pa5X , disable all FX and listen.
2 of factory Grand pianos with pair stereo samples are exactly the same in both.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
The Italian, German, Austrian and Japanese Grands on my Pa5X sound vastly better than the dull muted German Grand did on prior Pa models.

+1

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: