Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newly restored M3 module

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jokeyman123

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: newly restored M3 module Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my newly restored M3 module. A great addition to my battery of musical equipment. You can see I am using another Korg, an ancient but very playable Korg SP-500, as a controller. Why this one...it has the RH2 graded action-same as the Oasys but more so because the action is very playable for piano-a little heavier than my TP40 Fusions, closer to the Casio PX560, but has nicer "momentum" to the keys. and thanks Steven Kay for responding to my post, my first here. I cn't seem to get half-pedaling done with the Korg DH-1 pedal. I have it plugged directly into the M3 module-all the correct settings are on and the multimeter shows the pedal working through its range-I see incremental change in the resistance readings. Might have something to do with the SP-500 as controller? But that's another post.

Jokeyman123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/url]

Since the SP-500 has no joystick or other controller, I am trying one of these to use with the Korg M3 and other workstations, has a midi out din port and USB. Ordered from the UK, will take awhile to get here. The extra controls will be useful and are programmable.
SynthfulDwarphus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup!

How's the joystick contraption working out? Are they pricey?

Also, it that wood veneer on the M3 module endcaps and LCD bezel strips?
Jokeyman123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Restored Korg M3 Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't post back sooner-life gets in the way. Yes, it is from part of a collection of sample sheets I kept from my uncle, who was a VP and design engineer with US Plywood back in the 50s-60s, when they were first starting to use exotic veneers for furniture and other building plans. I still have a few sheets.

I needed to study how this midi module is programmed, very easy once I studied the directions carefully, but I haven't had a chance to try it, its sitting next to my SP-500-I also purchased a midi merge box from "DoReMidi" since I would need to midi this and the SP-500 together, just go that last week.

Since the original keyboard assemblies are so hard to get-and the SP-500 has a rather fantastic piano action with its RHII graded, this alternate way to get extra real-time control is definitely worth trying. The SP-500 is pretty narrow from front to back, I built a stand to prop the M3 module upright directly over the SP, takes up less space than a full 88-key M3 keyboard and module. I just wish the slide pots were sturdier-very similar to the old Korg microKontrol-which must have had the same slide pots, I'd repaired at least 2 microKontrols with faulty pots on those., and the replacements are hard to find.

If I were using this on gigs regularly-well I don't think I would! By the way-despite its age, the SP-500 has some very usable sounds, was a big surprise-I guess it was derived from the Triton or Trinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: