Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anybody tried to create "Shimmer Reverb"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Has anybody tried to create "Shimmer Reverb"? Reply with quote

"Shimmer Reverb" is a popular effect that provides a unique sound, especially for ambient and pad types of programs. I think it was developed in the last 10 years, so there is nothing on the Kronos that directly provides it. I recently purchased Arturia Pigments, and its built-in Shimmer Reverb is impressive.

The concept is fairly simple. Chain a delay with octave up pitch shift into a reverb. Then route the reverb output back into the delay/shift. Successive passes continue to shift up as they decay leaving a bright tail on the sound.

More details here and here and here.

How to implement on the Kronos? Well 12 IFX units should be more that sufficient. The problem lies in the feedback path. The Effect / Mixer Block Diagram (P. 900 in K2 manual) shows the unidirectional flow. IFX chaining is limited to IFX of higher numbers - no path to feed back is allowed.

From what I can see the only approach would be to route the reverb IFX output to the discrete audio outputs, use patch cables from the outputs to the analog inputs, and then route the analog inputs to the delay/shift IFX input. (In Combi mode - Audio input is handled differently in program mode with EXIs)

On the other hand, my preliminary experiments with the Stereo Pitch Shifter IFX set to +12 shift are unimpressive. The resulting wet sound is very artifacted. The post on livekeyboardist.com suggests using grain delay for the delay/shift. The K actually has a "Grain Shifter", but I was unable to find a setting that provided the desired result. The shift doesn't reach 1 octave. This IFX would be best suited to metallic, ring-mod, or underwater EFX.

Has anyone else experimented with creating a shimmer reverb on the K? Did I miss anything on the routing options?
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it myself. There are quite a few threads if you search for "shimmer".
Have a look here :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115795&highlight=shimmer

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
search for "shimmer".

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. I'll check it out.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome 😊 Would be great if you could post your results here... Good luck.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: