Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fix for sticky keys and clunky B's and C's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirox9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You're a real life saver. Just did it, unscrewed the large screws (had to lie on my back to do it, etc,. and like magic! No more sticky keys. I got my Kronos 88 on Ebay and then it traveled from California, to New Jersey to New York and then all the way to Egypt. So, you can tell it wasn't shipped in the best manner there is Smile

When I got it and had the sticky F and G below Middle C, I was gonna go crazy especially that we only have one dealer who doesn't support stuff bought from outside.

Thanks a million Very Happy
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 88 Platinum Reply with quote

Problem: Hard-to-depress keys on weighted-88 Kronos 2 Platinum.

I see this is a really old thread, but this issue just occurred on my Kronos-88 which had been stored in the garage for about a year. I'm in Southern California so the weather is temperate but with relatively high humidity from the marine-layer.

After bringing the synth inside I noticed about 10% of the keys are sticking, making it difficult to depress; i.e., the first few millimeters require extra force, then depresses the rest of the way almost normally. I will attempt the solution upthread on the first page. I don't know which bolts the member was referring to—I suppose it's obvious once you have the board upside-down?

I noticed in the post above that the user apparently only loosened the screws (then, retightened?) which alone solved his/her issue without inserting cardboard spacers?

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

average_male

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 Platinum Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
. . .

I will attempt the solution upthread on the first page. I don't know which bolts the member was referring to—I suppose it's obvious once you have the board upside-down?

I noticed in the post above that the user apparently only loosened the screws (then, retightened?) which alone solved his/her issue without inserting cardboard spacers?
1) see this thread for the first question
2) for the second question, that may have been because the tops of the keys were getting pressed against the chassis. Keybed is more or less floating within the chassis so care needs to be taken to ensure it is centered and has enough space to move.

Good luck and may the force be with you.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good thread post and thanks to the author who made it way back when. I never saw this thread before but I figured this out on my own. Some time ago I made a post about one of my "C" keys sticking after I had done a HD installation. I thought something might have fallen in the keybed.

Coincidentally I had a Moog Matriarch that had keys that would rub against the frame. Moogs customer service told me how to adjust it. Some time later when I took apart my Kronos apart again to change the clock battery I notice it had a similar keybed setup but seemed harder to adjust. I centered it properly and that fixed my sticky key issue.

So yeah great tip and advice and it's good to double check your keybed if it sticks.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always store any keyboard flat - never on a side or vertically.

Sticky keys solution :

1) Place your Kronos on your bed, holding it vertically on its rear panel (where the plugs/jacks are) with one hand with the bottom wooden panel closest to you.

2) With other hand, loosen all the bigger screws two whole turns.

3) Tighten all the bigger screws back, starting with the two upper middle ones, then all upper going left from center, then upper going right. Repeat same pattern with the lower ones (middle then left then right).

4) Appreciate the wonders of gravity that positioned the heavy action assembly of your Kronos just fine.
wocongming

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: THANK YOU MARK! Reply with quote

rockstar898 wrote:
Mark - I'm on my 3rd Kronos. My first one had the dreaded double hammer problem so bad it was unplayable, so Guitar Center paid to ship it back and sent me a replacement, which also had the problem, although not as bad.

At that point, GC put me in contact with Korg, who directly sent me a new Kronos last week, straight off of the boat from Japan. It came with the new keybed (I could tell a dramatic difference in feel and playability from the first two), and it had the 1.5.2 OS already installed. With the double hammer issue resolved, I now had this very annoying and loud clonky click on 4 keys: the B below middle C, and G/A/B two octaves higher.

I REALLY didn't want to have to go through another technical support call or possible replacement, and your 5 minute fix completely solved the problem. Now, finally, my Kronos sounds AND plays like a million bucks.

Thanks dude!
J

wait a tick! 1.5.2 os? isnt the latest update 3.1.4? thats what i have on both my kronos 2 88s.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, some lubricants used on keybeds are known to get tacky as they age, in addition, IIRC, the keys rest on a rubberized bumpers/dampeners that may also have gone tacky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: