Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We need...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: We need... Reply with quote

So I have been just browsing and testing out those AI creation tools that creates songs for people who don't now how to play or produce or publish. I came across one last night, don't even recall what website but it was amazing. I am just testing the waters to see what they can do. They have a long way to go still.

But that led me to think, what if WE as keyboard users of workstations like the Kronos had access to some AI sound generator tool plugin that could create pads, strings, drums, piano sounds, drum sounds...I am talking about ONE SHOTS, single note sounds just like we do whenever we are multisampling and creating patches.

I would pay good money for something like that. Curious, is there such a tool out there currently?
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like there is already one out there. Are there others?

https://www.engadget.com/this-free-plugin-uses-ai-to-generate-music-samples-from-text-prompts-165058168.html
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That app wasn't that good IMHO.

I may look into this as I was once a programmer in my past life before retirement.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to think bigger. AI to create and play songs for us.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me... The joy of music is the time you spend thinking and creating your ideas, thoughts and emotions and bringing them into life. It's very satisfying.

When I think of AI doing all the work for me it likes a fisher man going to the supermarket and buying some frozen fish instead of going out to the lake, casting his rod and spending the day catching his own fish.

I'm not against AI for some things but AI in music creation isn't one of those things I'm on board for. Now if there's some AI program that does mixing and mastering I'm all for it. That I can use but creating music hard pass. That takes the fun out of it.

At some point you might as well as just put the gear down and become a full time listener instead of a creator of music. AI defeats the purpose.

But I know it's a hot topic for the current era of people who already are too lazy to make their own music and want to rely on splice for loops and things like serato and such to seperate melodies from other peoples songs so they can steal them easier.

It's a long dark tunnel to go down with AI but I personally don't feel like AI belongs in the world of Art and Music which are driven by humanistic life experiences.

This is all my little opinion of course. Just a drop in the bucket that means nothing much exept to me. AI just like DAW's and VST's when those came about and pushed traditional hardware aside are also going to be embraced by people who want to cut corners and not put in work.

It's going to be interesting seeing people compete against eachother with music that a computer made. Instead of focusing on being creative it will just be a tech game of who has the best AI to create the best music. I imagine "musicians" showing off their computer builds like PC gamers do instead of showing off their studio equipment in the future.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
To me... The joy of music is the time you spend thinking and creating your ideas, thoughts and emotions and bringing them into life. It's very satisfying.

When I think of AI doing all the work for me it likes a fisher man going to the supermarket and buying some frozen fish instead of going out to the lake, casting his rod and spending the day catching his own fish.

I'm not against AI for some things but AI in music creation isn't one of those things I'm on board for. Now if there's some AI program that does mixing and mastering I'm all for it. That I can use but creating music hard pass. That takes the fun out of it.

At some point you might as well as just put the gear down and become a full time listener instead of a creator of music. AI defeats the purpose.

But I know it's a hot topic for the current era of people who already are too lazy to make their own music and want to rely on splice for loops and things like serato and such to seperate melodies from other peoples songs so they can steal them easier.

It's a long dark tunnel to go down with AI but I personally don't feel like AI belongs in the world of Art and Music which are driven by humanistic life experiences.

This is all my little opinion of course. Just a drop in the bucket that means nothing much exept to me. AI just like DAW's and VST's when those came about and pushed traditional hardware aside are also going to be embraced by people who want to cut corners and not put in work.

It's going to be interesting seeing people compete against eachother with music that a computer made. Instead of focusing on being creative it will just be a tech game of who has the best AI to create the best music. I imagine "musicians" showing off their computer builds like PC gamers do instead of showing off their studio equipment in the future.

I disagree. AI can create a simple single note sample for you then you can import the sample into Omnisphere and create your heart's delight. This is what I am speaking of as the majority of these VSTIs that I have sifted through, well they have that old 70s & 80s sound which I have disliked for a long time because they sound very similar, way too close. Plus I cannot stand that "plastic" sound within VSTI, the majority of them has this plastic sound to them.

Look what the people at Spectrasonics has done by creating patches using sounds from everywhere, from a burning piano to sounds at a train station. Not everybody has access to tons of hardware or other things so I believe AI could help offset in this one particular area. As for using it to "produce", I don't like it, don't care to. Creating your own songs is what is original.

Society is moving into an area they are not going to like trust me on this, AI isn't true AI as AI is programmed and trained by HUMANS. If you have a certain group of humans teaching AI then that AI will only know what is being instructed to it by those humans.

Well guess what? Seeing at current events we know many things a certain group of people have said were lies and deceptions and has been for over 100 years.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:

I disagree. AI can create a simple single note sample for you then you can import the sample into Omnisphere and create your heart's delight. This is what I am speaking of as the majority of these VSTIs that I have sifted through, well they have that old 70s & 80s sound which I have disliked for a long time because they sound very similar, way too close. Plus I cannot stand that "plastic" sound within VSTI, the majority of them has this plastic sound to them.

Look what the people at Spectrasonics has done by creating patches using sounds from everywhere, from a burning piano to sounds at a train station. Not everybody has access to tons of hardware or other things so I believe AI could help offset in this one particular area. As for using it to "produce", I don't like it, don't care to. Creating your own songs is what is original.

Society is moving into an area they are not going to like trust me on this, AI isn't true AI as AI is programmed and trained by HUMANS. If you have a certain group of humans teaching AI then that AI will only know what is being instructed to it by those humans.

Well guess what? Seeing at current events we know many things a certain group of people have said were lies and deceptions and has been for over 100 years.

I'm sure there are benefits to have a computer think for you...I can see that and I respect everyone's views and ideas on that but the beauty of creating music for folks like me is thinking for yourself and using your mind to be creative. If it's creating samples or sound design... the joy I get from making music is largely in the creative process of making music.

I don't want a computer coming in and stealing that fun from me. On top of that I just see it hindering musical innovations. A majority of the trends and sounds that became popular were based off human error. If we're using computers to be "perfect" every time how are we going to have those innovative moments made from mistakes that lead to new genre's and sonic discoveries?

I'm not sure why AI is something people are so adamant about marrying to subject of music production. They've got AI Vocals, AI Samples, AI Whole songs... IF it's going to be a push button world than as an artists what are you even creating? Might as well as quite and become a software designer.

The music industry would love an AI artist that they can pump out decade after decade that never ages,dies or ask for a royalty check. Just a digital puppet they can use to be their cash cow.

I don't ever want music to become that. Time to shut down "Skynet" before it ever gets to that point. We as musicians need to be shunning this type of technology trying to infiltrate our field.

What I would like AI to do is help me in areas that are tedious. Like auto removing "clipping", auto leveling and mixing my songs, things like that which would only make my production and creative process easier.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:

I'm not sure why AI is something people are so adamant about marrying to subject of music production.

It's just sexy because it's the latest Shiny Object in the tech world. Any time some significant new tech comes out, the Internet hype engines go into overdrive and there's lots of hand waving. Sometimes it turns out to be signficant (like that Internet thing a few years back). Sometimes it's just hype (see: Silicon Valley Startups).

At the same time, people are always looking for how to get something for nothing (or sell products / services to those with such expectations). The sales pitch is usually, "Here's something that will let you make music even if you have absolutely no musical talent." Some might even see drag and drop, loop based music production in that light, i.e. why learn to play a musical instrument when you can just rearrange something that actual musicians have recorded. So all the AI stuff plays directly to this audience, making it an enticing target for new products.

I've seriously considered making my next book, "How to get what you want without trying." You never go broke telling people what they want to hear.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: