Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross 1 arp control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
assaf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Kross 1 arp control Reply with quote

Hi, Kross 1 question.
Is there axway to control the arp via an external keyboard so it will follow my playing like it does when playing the Kross itself?

I know I need midi connections between the 2 keyboards. But I don't know how to configure the right settings (assuming it is possible).
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What exactly did you try already? Where do you get stuck?

When the arpeggiator is working with the Kross keyboard, it should also work with external ones without too much reconfig. Maybe you need to tweak the MIDI channel your external keyboard is sending on.
Refer to the picture in the parameter guide, Chapter Global, 1 G-Midi, 1-1Basic, Local control. It shows that the MIDI IN interface goes through the arp.

Good luck.
assaf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I never used MIDI so I even do not know where to start.
I'll try to clarify.

1. I want to do it playing a combi so I'll have timber that I'll play with the kross and timber that I'll only use the kross for drums track and bass line (I'll use the arp to get the bass line).

2. How to configure a timber to be controlled by an external keyboard? Do I need to use EXT1 or EXT2 or something else? BTW what is the difference between EXT1 and EXT2?

Thanks in advance.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

To configure a timbre to be controlled by an external keyboard, you must set it to a MIDI channel different from the Global Channel used by the Kross. With default settings, the GCh of the Kross is simply 1. So when setting a value different than 1 (2 to 16) the timbre will not listen to the keyboard of the Kross anymore, but still to messages received on MIDI IN interface on that channel. So suppose you set the channel to 2 of a timbre, it means also that you need to configure your external keyboard to send on channel 2 in order to play that timbre.

In Combi mode, go to the C-TImbre/MIDI page. Choose your timbre and then change the channel.
If you also enable arpeggiator A or B to that timbre, the external keyboard can trigger the arpeggiator.

The EXT and EX2 options are in fact for the reverse version of what you want. It is to control with Kross keyboard an external synth/sound module. The timbre will not sound, but still send out the MIDI messages. The difference between both is that when the combi is selected, the EX2 option will additionally send out also configurable bank selection messages on MIDI OUT. This is required for external equipment having more than 128 programs to select the correct one. It allows the external equipment to follow the combi changes on your Kross and dial in the corresponding program.

Have fun.
assaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp
Thanks a lot. You clarify a lot for me. I'll try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: