Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone still actively using thier Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my current rig for some solo gigs I am doing.

You can see the 2014 Kronos X61 as my top tier to the left, Montage 7 to the bottom, and then to the right (centre of picture) my "fun synths". I usually do not take these out (just the two on the left), but for these occasional gigs when I am solo on stage, then, why not?

But I would hate to be without the Kronos. Wave Sequencing and Karma are still very powerful tools, and AL-1 still holds its own against two of the best analog hybrids on the market (the Summit and Prophet). Also in the rack on the floor, I have an NUC PC running Cantabile and any VST I care to mention/use. And still I would not want to be without the Kronos.

There is life in the old girl yet!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
rickster1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Kronos1 ( 11 1/2 years old ) so much that I found a 3 yr old Kronos 2 on Reverb.com. Now using that one. I love the SEQ - especially after looking
at the one on the new Roland Fantoms, which is very limited.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of impressive responses and setups. I'm glad folks are still enjoying their Kronosai Laughing .

Sometimes I get caught in the gear chasing race but at the end of the day I always just end up sticking to what works best for me. The Kronos offers a lot of creative freedom. I find the sequencer to be very "open" when it comes to being creative. I had purchased a new MPC X SE that I played with a bit. Great sequencer but at the end of the day it's just a "loop" machine. You set your bars and make your beat and just make variations of it to complete a song.

Not really my style. The Kronos sequencer is more like a multi track recorder on steroids. On one hand I can quantize stuff if I want too and on the other hand I have audio to completely do my own thing. Love the MPC's but it's always a battle to make it sound "non robotic". The Kronos lets you sound alive because it's not relying on "loops" if that makes any sense.

I find a lot of gear these days makes you feel like you're trapped inside a box. I never felt that way with the Kronos it has so many options for you. It's a PITA to learn but some amazing sounds can be made on it.

I think for a lot of us if (I may say that) you get acquainted with an instrument and it just becomes your go to. I remember when I first got my Kronos it sat for a year unplayed because I was intimidated and overwhelmed by it but then I just jumped into it and have been using it almost daily ever since. That was about? 5 years or so ago? I dunno whenever I made this account here.

I had my Triton (and still do) since it debuted and I played that for years because I was in love with it. People think the Triton is old you really don't see them in studios anymore but it's still fresh to me. There's loads of cool sounds on there create.

These are just cool instruments. Their only restriction is your imagination. While I think my biggest complaint about the Kronos was streamlining it's workflow and giving it more processing power (to avoid note stealing) I've never been dissatisfied with the sound this keyboard can make.

I don't want to make this a long post but if you guys remember the "Triton" had a distinct sound to it. You could hear it in a song and recognize it. You'd say oh I know that sound that's from the Triton. The Kronos doesn't seem to have that. It sounds like whatever you want it to be. You get into the parameters and effects this Keyboard can sound like anything. You wouldn't enough it was a Keyboard making the sounds.

So for me as long as the Kronos can bring in creative fun it's never old imo. I only wish that Korg still actively supported it with updates and features. She still had some gas in the tank before they axed her.
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 88 Kronos X is still the heart of my studio and music. I’ve sampled some of my favorite sounds so I can use them quickly in my DAW. T
My Moogs stay covered up mostly!!!,
It’s still a remarkable synth, I use it every day.

Ian
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play my 88 daily. I don't gig anymore, and I was a guitarist, not a keyboard player, so I wouldn't have taken it out on the road. It's big and heavy, so I'm glad I don't have to lug it around, but I would imagine it to be a beast for playing live.

It seems like the trend of the major manufacturers is to slim down their latest offerings. The Nautilus is less than the Kronos (although not by a huge amount it would seem), and the same appears to be true for Roland and Yamaha. So, I'm glad I bought the Kronos 2 when I did. It really doesn't leave me feeling a lack of anything.

I mentioned in another thread my plan to buy a Fantom-06, but that's because I already have Prophet 6 I'm not using, so I may as well turn it into something I'll actually use. But If I had neither, the Kronos would still be plenty to get it done for my needs. One of the best gear purchases I've made over the decades.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: