Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg ARP Odyssey Module - No Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Korg ARP Odyssey Module - No Sound Reply with quote

My ARP Odyssey module is not generating any sound through the main outputs or headphone output jacks. I completed the troubleshooting recommendations in the manual. I have switched midi cables and tried all 16 channels using two different controllers. The VCA Gain is at 50% and the LFO Frequency light is flashing.

Has any other ARP Odyssey owners encountered this situation and can you provide some direction for a remedy. Thanks in advance for your help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it worked OK before, with the same configuration?

Is there an audible "pop" on the outputs when the unit is powered on or off?

Are all the front panel switches in the fully up or down position?

RAC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Korg ARP Odyssey - No Sound Reply with quote

Yes, the unit has worked OK in the past. I used the Basic settings configuration outlined in the manual for testing. There is no audible “pop” at headphone jack when powering on & off. I have the Odyssey low output going into the Kronos external audio input.

I just adjusted the front panel switches & sliders as suggested but still not getting any sound from the Odyssey. Thanks, I appreciate the timely response.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the unit been in storage, or unused for a while?

In a working system, the sound made at the output during power on or off might be just a slight pop or click, but if nothing is heard. this could indicate an issue with the VCA board, or a poor connection somewhere.

With this in mind, it might be worth cleaning the output jacks (plugs and sockets) with an electrical contact cleaner, like Servisol Super 10, or its Deoxit equivalent. Spray some on the plug, insert/remove the plug into the socket several times, and also give it a few twisting motions. Remove the plug, wipe with a tissue to see what comes off, and repeat the procedure a few more times.

Another thing to try, if possible, is to try passing an external audio signal (roughly at line level) into the ARP Odyssey's Ext Audio Input jack, to see if it makes it through to the output. Doing this will bypass several circuits, so may help to narrow down the issue.

RAC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the unit was in storage for 2 years. I plugged another synth into the external input. I wasn’t able to hear the audio generated from the second synth. However, I started getting a faint sound at headphone output by adjusting the VCF Frequency. After a few more tweaks the unit is providing full sound through the Low output & into the Kronos. However the headphone output is dead. I will try clearing the output jacks as suggested. Thank you for all your help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting at least some audio out is encouraging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: