Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed with VHG1 card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shad0wfax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Help needed with VHG1 card Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I know that the PA80 is an old model and this forum is not very active, but I hope that maybe someone could give me a hand.

First, the short version: Is there any manual/guide/tutorial/video explaining how to use the VHG1 vocal/guitar expansion card? The manual of the PA80 is very cryptic and I've been so far unable to make the card work.

Now, the long story Wink

I've recently had the opportunity to get an used PA80 in very good condition and price, so I purchased it. Although I already own a PA5X and a Genos, I thought that I'd give it a good use for rehearsals and for playing with some colleagues at work. I used to have a Microarranger so I knew about the sound quality and capabilities. The PA80 seems to work flawlessly so far.

Just a few days after the purchase, I found a VHG1 expansion card, which (in theory) was "new old stock", so previously unused. I installed it following the instructions, and the PA80 seems to recognize it (the options and parameters of the vocal/guitar menu, which are only visible when the card is installed, are there). I'm not a guitarist and my intention was to use only the vocal harmonizer functions. The problem is that I haven't been able so far to make it work. No matter how I change the parameters, it's just as if the card wasn't there. Not a single harmony has come out from the kayboard. I've read the manual so many times, but it isn't helpful at all and I don't know what to do. I even do not know if I simply don't know how to use it or if the card itself is faulty. In fact, it seems that there isn't even a funtion to activate or deactivate the harmonizer, or at least I've been unable to find it.

It's not the first time that I use the harmonizer functions in a keyboard, as I already own a PA5X and a Genos, and in the past I had the now ancient, then great, Yamaha 9000 Pro. In Yamaha keyboards using the harmonizer is a breeze; in the PA5X is a bit more complex but I haven't had many problems. In the PA80 it's just impossible.

Any help would be much appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, double check that all the connections to the VHG1 board are correctly aligned, seated, and with no bent pins.

Check that a MIDI channel has been set for the Harmony channel in the Global Edit menus (Gbl:MidiIn Ctl 1), and HarmOct has been set in the (Gbl:MidiIn Ctl 2) menu. Also check that the audio has been correctly routed through the VHG1, in (Gbl:AudioOut Cfg) e.g. Upper1: is set to Vocal/Gtr, to route the output through the VHG1. If the audio inputs are to be sent to the VHG1 (for vocal harmony), try going to (Gbl:AudioIn Cfg) and setting Input 1/2 to e.g. 1/2 Vocal/Gtr. Also in this menu, set Vocal/Gtr to select one of the 16 setups. And finally in (Gbl:Vocal/Guitar), set the various parameters to suit. If this sounds overly complicated, it is because it is overly complicated ;-) I don't have a Pa-80 here at the moment to check all of this works, so cannot guarantee success. If all of this fails to make any difference, then it would suggest that the VHG1 may be faulty.

Good luck.

PS: There is also a tutorial, since deleted from the downloads section of the forum. It echoes much of what has been said above, and might actually make more sense, and it can still be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130222230751/http://korgforums.com/support/pa80/tutorial-6.zip

shad0wfax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your detailed explanations, and also for the link to the tutorial. It's just what I was looking for! You are the best Very Happy

BTW, I've finally been able to make it work Cool
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA80 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: