Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which network USB adapters work with Nautilus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuxoft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Which network USB adapters work with Nautilus? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to connect my Nautilus to my home computer network using USB network interface. On the Korg official site, these USB adapters are listed as compatible:

• Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (MC704ZM/A)
    • Cisco Linksys USB-300M
    • BUFFALO LUA3-U2-AGT
    • BUFFALO LUA3-U2-ATX
    • BUFFALO LUA-U2-KTX
    • IODATA ETX3-US2
    • Logitec LAN-TX/U2B
    • Logitec LAN-TX/U2H3
    • Planex UE-100TX-G3

However, although the list is dated "2023", none of these are currently manufactured and sold anywhere in Europe. Not a single one!

I've tried two brands of USB network adapter with my Nautilus and none of them work.

Is there an updated compatibility list anywhere?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apple model A1277 has been reported to work with the Nautilus, and there are numerous listings for these on eBay.

A couple of related threads:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126337

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126482

Fuxoft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Apple model A1277 has been reported to work with the Nautilus, and there are numerous listings for these on eBay.

A couple of related threads:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126337

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126482

Apple A1277 is no longer being sold. Current Apple adapters have USB-C connector, not USB-A.

The first thread mentions UGREEN ethernet adapter. This specific model is also no longer being sold.

The other thread talks about connecting TL-MR3020 modem to Kronos. I've read that post carefully three times and I don't understand how I can connect that modem to Kronos when it (the modem) has no USB-A connector...?

Otherwise, I see no specific hardware mentioned in either of those threads.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Apple+A1277&_sacat=0

Grog96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years ago I bought a "Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast 10/100 LAN Wired Network Adapter" from Amazon for use on the Kronos X. It also works on my Nautilus.
I just checked, it's still available - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00484IEJS

HTH.
Fuxoft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for EBay and Amazon suggestions but those goods either don't ship to Czech republic at all or shipping, duties and VAT would more than double the list price…

I need something that is shipped from the EU…
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any local computer shops/repair shops or tech stores that might stock USB Ethernet adapters? They might be willing to sell them on a trial/return basis, as it's worth considering that adapters other than those listed in the Nautilus documentation, or discussed on Korgforums, might work. Are there any friends/family/colleagues that might be worth asking, that might have any adapters around? This might seem like clutching at straws, but it's worth trying. There's also this link that might be worth trying. The links on the webpage suggest fast shipping to the Chech Republic. The website may just be a Dubai-based box shipper, but at least they will arrange postage. The reviews suggest it's a legitimate site.

https://czech.desertcart.com/search/usb-to-ethernet-adapter

Fuxoft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Are there any local computer shops/repair shops or tech stores that might stock USB Ethernet adapters?

https://czech.desertcart.com/search/usb-to-ethernet-adapter

There are dozens of USB Ethernet adapters available at alza.cz (large legitimate electronics store). I've tried three USB Ethernet adapters from this site so far and neither of them work so I returned them. (i.e. neither of them work with Nautilus, all of them work flawlessly with my PC.) They might be getting mad at me...

Also, the official list at korg.com says "Adapters other than listed here will not function correctly".

P.S: Shipping anything from outside of EU to the Czech Republic means paying $8 "duty service fee" plus normal duty fee plus 21% VAT in addition to the item price plus shipping.

It would help to know the chipset specifications of the "correct" adapters but I am also unable to find those.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the listed USB to Ethernet adapters, with the correct chipsets, may not work, if the adaptor firmware differs from the version present in the original testing. The problem arises from the fact that the Nautilus OS (this is also true for the Kronos) ships with only a limited number of drivers, with no means for the user to update those drivers. Korg could, in theory, provide OS updates that incorporated more recent drivers, but that is not something that they have done so far. The reason for suggesting the trial of additional adapters, is that Kronos users have identified additional USB to Ethernet adapters that work, but are not on the recommended list of adapters. Can you remember which USB to Ethernet adapters you tried, that didn't work, so that these could be added to the blacklist?

If Ethernet access is a must, the motherboard does provide Ethernet connectivity, but this would require a hack of the hardware to make it usable.

Fuxoft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Even the listed USB to Ethernet adapters, with the correct chipsets, may not work, if the adaptor firmware differs from the version present in the original testing. The problem arises from the fact that the Nautilus OS (this is also true for the Kronos) ships with only a limited number of drivers, with no means for the user to update those drivers. Korg could, in theory, provide OS updates that incorporated more recent drivers, but that is not something that they have done so far. The reason for suggesting the trial of additional adapters, is that Kronos users have identified additional USB to Ethernet adapters that work, but are not on the recommended list of adapters. Can you remember which USB to Ethernet adapters you tried, that didn't work, so that these could be added to the blacklist?.

The adapters that didn't work were "AlzaPower AluCore USB-A RJ45" and "USB Hub UGREEN USB 2.0 to 3ΧUSB 2.0+RJ45". The third one was older "no name" adapter (bought earlier) and I don't know its exact type.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above adapter info is useful. Thank you.

I've done some digging, literally and metaphorically. I don't have access to a Nautilus at the moment, but there is a Kronos here. The USB to Ethernet adapter lists for Nautilus and Kronos are very similar, so the chances are that the drivers will also be similar:

Korg Kronos; recommended USB to Ethernet adapters:
• Cisco Linksys USB-300M
• TRENDnet TU2-ET100
• BUFFALO LUA3-U2-AGT
• BUFFALO LUA3-U2-ATX
• BUFFALO LUA-U2-KTX
• IODATA ETX3-US2
• Logitec LAN-TX/U2B
• Logitec LAN-TX/U2H3
• Planex UE-100TX-G3

Korg Nautilus; recommended USB to Ethernet adapters
• Cisco Linksys USB-300M
• BUFFALO LUA3-U2-AGT
• BUFFALO LUA3-U2-ATX
• BUFFALO LUA-U2-KTX
• IODATA ETX3-US2
• Logitec LAN-TX/U2B
• Logitec LAN-TX/U2H3
• Planex UE-100TX-G3

I've just dug out my old USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter out of an old box, still mostly full from moving home. The adapter is a no-name generic device, with the words "USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter" on it. The adapter was plugged into the Kronos, and nothing happened. Connected the Ethernet cable between router and Kronos, still nothing. Unplugged the adapter and plugged it back in with Ethernet cable connected. Still nothing. With the adapter still plugged into the Kronos, and Ethernet cable connected, I went to the Global, Network menus, Configure TCP/IP dialogue box, and set the adapter method to Manual and back to DHCP, clicked OK, and the Kronos obtained an IP address from the router. The Kronos' SSD file structure was then visible in an FTP client, so all seems good.

Doing a bit more digging, the USB to Ethernet adapter enumerates on a PC, and is shown (using USBDeview) as having an ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772 chipset. This is the same as the chipset in the adapter in the link given by Grog96, which works both in the Nautilus and Kronos.

Hope this can be of some use.

Fuxoft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! I managed to obtain one of the adapters listed here in the forums and it works flawlessly (it also includes USB hub so you can also connect other peripherals). The exact name is "USB 2.0 Multifunction hub" from UGREEN, the sticker at the bottom says "model 20264". Here is how it looks: https://www.alza.cz/ugreen-usb-a-hub-to-ethernet-3-x-usb-a-2-0-d6126478.htm. Unfortunately, it's no longer listed at ugreen.com so it seems it's no longer manufactured. It runs on the ASIX AX88772 chipset. Here is the hardware info:

Code:

[3929797.503424] usb 1-9.3: new high-speed USB device number 109 using xhci_hcd
[3929797.604828] usb 1-9.3: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0608, bcdDevice=85.36
[3929797.604831] usb 1-9.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[3929797.604832] usb 1-9.3: Product: USB2.0 Hub
[3929797.606066] hub 1-9.3:1.0: USB hub found
[3929797.606329] hub 1-9.3:1.0: 4 ports detected
[3929797.899497] usb 1-9.3.1: new high-speed USB device number 110 using xhci_hcd
[3929798.016859] usb 1-9.3.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0b95, idProduct=7720, bcdDevice= 0.01
[3929798.016862] usb 1-9.3.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[3929798.016864] usb 1-9.3.1: Product: AX88772A
[3929798.016864] usb 1-9.3.1: Manufacturer: ASIX Elec. Corp.
[3929798.016866] usb 1-9.3.1: SerialNumber: 000387
[3929798.648127] Asix Electronics AX88772A usb-001:110:10: attached PHY driver (mii_bus:phy_addr=usb-001:110:10, irq=POLL)
[3929798.648250] asix 1-9.3.1:1.0 eth0: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:14.0-9.3.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, 00:0e:c6:48:c9:31
[3929798.648337] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix

*-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       physical id: 6
       bus info: usb@1:9.3.1
       logical name: enx000ec648c931
       serial: 00:0e:c6:48:c9:31
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       capabilities: ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=asix driverversion=22-Dec-2011 firmware=ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that a working solution has been found :-)

recreational

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If Ethernet access is a must, the motherboard does provide Ethernet connectivity, but this would require a hack of the hardware to make it usable.

Can you actually confirm this, or are you just assuming that because this was the case on the Kronos motherboard, that this is also the case on the Nautilus motherboard? (hint: the nautilus mainboard has a LOT of its mainboard I/O missing .. Wink )

They use two different mainboards, guys.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as USB to Ethernet adapters are concerned, user Fuxoft's observations are on the Nautilus. Mine are on the Kronos.

Regarding the direct Ethernet connectivity to the motherboard, images of the Nautilus internals, and the manufacturer's website for the Nautilus motherboard, show what appears to be a double USB + Ethernet connector stacked jack on the motherboard. The manufacturer's datasheet shows two such connector stacks, whilst the Nautilus internals show just one, with the other connector position being vacant. Looking more closely at the two motherboard images, the Nautilus motherboard version has a shorter connector stack, so there are just 2 x USB ports, and the Ethernet LAN PHY devices, and associated components, are not fitted, so it's not a simple hack.

https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/IMB-140D%20Plus

For the Nautilus internal motherboard pics, look somewhere around the 11th post down:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125107

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: