Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Who - Won't get fooled again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: The Who - Won't get fooled again Reply with quote

Hi!
New Extreme owner here. So far, I'm very impressed. I have the MOSS board installed. I plan to buy a San Disk Extreme IV card (4 GB), and max out the RAM so that I can sample some things. I'd like to sample my Waldorf XT and modular.

Anyway, one drawback with the Triton Extreme is that there is no way to emulate the synth part in The Who song Won't Get Fooled Again. If you're not familiar with the song, the sound is an organ played through an EMS synth. The organ sound is a repeating on/off sound played thorough the EMS' filter, which is being slowly modulated by a sine or triangle LFO.

I can get every part of this sound in the Extreme except the repeating on/off organ tremelo effect. As far as I know, the Triton's effects only offer a sine or triangle tremelo - there's no square wave to duplicate the on/off repeating organ.

Has anyone found a way to recreate this sound using only the Triton?

I have tried using a square wave LFO in the voice parameters (not effects parameters) to modulate the VCA, but the sync between notes in each chord drifts out of time while playing.

Thanks for any help...
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll have to do the sound the same way they did.

Use the TR EX to do a clean organ (2 octave unison) and patch it through another synth with a square wave LFO on the Amp envelope for the staccato, using a phaser/flanger for the sweep or another LFO triangle on a filter with resonance. That way the LFOs and sweep are independent of the keyboard sync.

The HI engine can synchronize it's LFOs to an external midi clock, but the LFO waves will be out of phase because the LFO phase seems to start when the notes are triggered, even if the timing of the LFO is synced properly.
Goom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right in having the use a second synth to nail the sound completely.

What I did do is program a somewhat usable sound via the Extreme's tremelo effect. I'll have to decide whether or not the tremelo's triangle amplitude modulation (instead of a square wave) is a close enough approximation. The tri wave bugs me, but most people in the audience may not ever listen close enough to notice.
synthanddrums

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the arpeggiator to produce the note on/off effect that would emulate a square wave
pagey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you figure it out please post as its a sound i've been after for ages but I'm no good at programming

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
Goom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the arpeggiator tip. I must admit that I'm not familiar with it though. Does anyone know if it can make all notes in a chord trigger on/off at the same time and tempo?

I'll see about uploading a sound sample if the arpeggiator trick works....
synthanddrums

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waveform - Int Rom E.Org Perc 1
effects - StWah/Auto wah and OD/high gain wah - just a little
Arp - Syn-Echo Chords 1 at 80% gate

and this should point you in the right direction
Goom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check those arpeggiator settings out.
Milter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small comment. I'm currently looking for a triton extreme (or similar), but as a former K2000 owner I have to say that the sound modulation Goom request is exactly why the VAST system in Kurzweils synth are so amazingly good:) You'd have no trouble doing that, and the K2k is from 1992 Cool

I'm getting the extreme 'cause I want a lot of preset sounds (no time for programming anymore Sad )
Spider PRO stand
Goom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the Kurzweil Vast system. Sounds like it was ahead of it's time in 1992. Smile
EdK

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Goom,

I know this is a really old thread and you probably upgraded your gear since.
I have a Triton Studio (which is basically the Extreme without the expansion boards). I still use it and was also researching how to create that organ sound.

Where you ever able to recreate it or pretty close to it? If so, and if you still can, would you be kind enough to send me the PCG?

Thanks! Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: