Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recall program from the favorite list using external midi ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Recall program from the favorite list using external midi ? Reply with quote

Hello,
I see that using Bank select (CC32) followed by a PC with 0-99 value we can recall any preset in the 500 available, but could we recall presets from the favorite list using some midi command ?

EDIT : in fact that's the default for ModWave and WaveState and it is finally better (who need to access 500 presets in the same composition ??? 64 from a prepared list that we can itself select for each compo is a far better option for me.
jdoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Wrapping my head around opsix native. Is there the construct of playlists?
CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoo wrote:
+1

Wrapping my head around opsix native. Is there the construct of playlists?

There is anotehr system but not working when using the VST3 inside a Daw as Cubase because they have not implemented correctly the midi PC handling for vst3.
This same bug has been fixed for Modwave and Wavestate Native, but never for Opsix Native.
I fear that the product is abandonned by Korg Sad
Last time I buy a software from Korg Japan.
edgraaff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely just a money thing that makes the difference between what we'd like to see and what the development team is actually spending its time on.
I don't have actual numbers, but it's probably not a wild guess that the Opsix had a lot less sales than other more mainstream products.

Of course, that's not something that we like to see, with the result that some won't be buying from Korg again. But then again, if the number of FM freaks is a lot less compared to new customers buying more mainstream products, it's worth the risk abandoning support (or bringing it to the absolute minimum) for a product.[/i]
jdoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anyone able to send a Program Change from a controller via MIDI to the opsix native? Even sending a CC:32 message (what value ??) followed by a Program Change? I am not able to make anything work regarding Program Changes to the opsix native?

@CSURIEUX or @edgraaff - have you made this work? What was the secret sauce? No luck here.

On the Wavestate and Modwave native versions, its done using setlists, then referencing values within those via PC. The implementation on those two is the same.. easy/peasy.

any help - greatly appreciated... thanks!

Joe
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to send a Bank Select message first -- that is CC0. I believe there are only five "banks" on the Opsix, so the values for CC0 would be 0 - 4.

Then right after the Bank Select Message, you send you your CC32 message. The Opsix accepts values between 0 and 99. This means there are 100 programs per bank.
jdoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Will give that a shot.

Update. No joy. I can send note data, Opsix Native recognizes pitch bend, mod wheel, even aftertouch from my controller. Unable to get it to see anything related to changing the presets. I am able to see ( MIDI Monitor ) the CC:0, CC:32 messages from my controller... Tried following those with a Program Change, when that didnt work. Next, tried sending just a CC:32 and then a Program Change, tried CC:0 and a Program Change.. Tried shooting mean looks at the Mac, and the controller.. Nothing working here? Merde

Note: I have zero problem sending Patch changes thru the same controller to the same Mac, into Modwave Native and WaveState Native. It's just opsix giving me trouble. In fact.. I've mapped more than a dozen soft synths from this controller to the same Mac. It's just opsix that's not working. There must be something else going on??
CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoo wrote:
Update. No joy.

What HardSync described is valid for Physical Opsix which has 4 banks of (curiously) 100 presets.
For the Opsix Native in it standalone version I can send PC, no need for bank select because there are only 128 PC values you must fill the PC/preset list before with tha app. I wont enter in details I don't remember (not natural way to do).
But when you use the vst3 of Opsix Native in a Daw, there is a bug and PC are not correctly handled.
wavestate and modwave on their first release wre affected by same bug due to a bug in the open source library used to build the vst3. But Korg US fixed it in the open source lib and published a fix for the 2 vst3. Opsix depends of Korg Japan, and no fix.

The worst is we can't resell these Korg softwares due to a very limited licence which does not allow selling to another user. Where most of software companies in the music env allow it for free or with some fees.
Korg software is bad.
jdoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, thanks @CSURIEUX. I'll look into pumping the preset list to the app (I'm doing this on OSX with the standalone) a bit later, and see if the PC works there.

cheers

j
jdoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success. What @CSURIEUX was kind enough not to say... is RTFM . Thank you for that. Very Happy

So... There are 128 slots setup under the "Program Change" menu, which on the opsix native, is what pops up, if you click the current preset name, on the main menu. It pops up a menu on the left side of the screen, that has 'Banks" and "Categories". The "Program Change" bank, is something you manually add presets to. If you click on any of the banks on this screen... you see the presets. Right-clicking on those, brings up a small menu that says "Add to Program Change (which will pop up another menu, letting you choose which of the 128 slots to put the preset you're clicking on). The other two options are to "Edit The Program File" (same as clicking it again.. brings up the edit page), or "Delete this program file".

So.. the "Program Change" bank... for the "native' version.. is something akin to a Set List in the native Wavestate or ModWave native programs. Only... <wait>... <almost>... a shitty cousin. It's a single list. It's only 128 slots.? Clearly created by a different team than Dan's CA group... and it shows. Too bad really. The Wavestate and ModWave native versions are way better.. but sorely need a MIDI CC for selecting Set List ( you can only change SetLists via a mouse click).

Anyway. It's not pretty. And it comes up short. But.. it works. All that said -- documentation for this stuff is MIA, or I didnt see it.. so I threw this out, just in case there are other boneheads like me.. struggling to change Patches for the opsix native, from a controller..

Cheers -

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg opsix / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: