Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos or Nautilus 88 - not sure which to buy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Kronos or Nautilus 88 - not sure which to buy Reply with quote

Should I just buy a Nautilus 88 because the Kronos is discontinued?

I like having the onboard controls like on the Kronos.

Also the Kronos has some sounds the Nautilus can not play, correct?

But the Nautilus has sounds which can not be used on the Kronos.

Which one has more space for loading 3rd party sounds like Purgatory Creek?

I played a Nautilus 88 at Guitar Center and liked it. I am just wondering if there is an added benefit to getting the Kronos.

Let's assume I can get either one for the same price.

I don't care about the heavier weight of the Kronos.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both have slightly different onboard sounds, about 30% of them not the same. But as you know you can use the sampler features on any of them to record and save any custom/third party sounds/libraries. For the amount of RAM (access to loaded libraries after bootup), it is the same amount as well.

For internal storage of libraries, you can also install a larger SSD on the unit after cloning the contents of the original disk. There is a slightly different procedure depending if you choose a Kronos or a Nautilus. But the Kronos has the advantage to offer connections for two SSDs, whereas the Nautilus has only one. I installed a Samsung 250 GB in my Kronos some years ago and it works just fine since day one.

Finally, about which to choose, as you know the Kronos has more external controls and offers aftertouch, as opposed to the Nautilus. But a Nautilus can be purchased new, whereas you will have to inspect an used Kronos carefully to make sure everything works fine.
J1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
They both have slightly different onboard sounds, about 30% of them not the same. But as you know you can use the sampler features on any of them to record and save any custom/third party sounds/libraries. For the amount of RAM (access to loaded libraries after bootup), it is the same amount as well.

For internal storage of libraries, you can also install a larger SSD on the unit after cloning the contents of the original disk. There is a slightly different procedure depending if you choose a Kronos or a Nautilus. But the Kronos has the advantage to offer connections for two SSDs, whereas the Nautilus has only one. I installed a Samsung 250 GB in my Kronos some years ago and it works just fine since day one.

Finally, about which to choose, as you know the Kronos has more external controls and offers aftertouch, as opposed to the Nautilus. But a Nautilus can be purchased new, whereas you will have to inspect an used Kronos carefully to make sure everything works fine.

So what size SSD did your Kronos come with? Does a Nautilus come with the same size SSD? I am trying to get an idea how much space I would have before I would need to install a larger drive. Also what is the largest size SSD one could put in these keyboards?

Does the Nautilus sound better because it is newer? Or basically the same? I am wondering, if I don't care about aftertouch, then the only real advantage for me is the controls, which I could use as drawbars for the organ. Is the organ the same on both, or is it improved on the Nautilus? Is the Leslie effect the same?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K2 came with a 60 GB SSD (earlier Kronos versions had even less space). On the Nautilus according to certain sources there is about 25 GB free space left for extra libraries, so you could fill it up pretty quickly.

For the sound engines like the CX-3 and effects, they are identical. Only the sample contents differ by about 30% as mentioned earlier, like there's a new piano sample set, etc. For drawbars on the Nautilus, you can use them but on the screen.
synthuser25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About three months ago I was faced with the same choice. I chose Kronos, I don't regret it for a moment, solid, powerful, clean sound. Nautilus is masked with a new look, a few new sounds, once the euphoria of buying it wears off, disappointment will come quickly. So think carefully.
J1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthuser25 wrote:
About three months ago I was faced with the same choice. I chose Kronos, I don't regret it for a moment, solid, powerful, clean sound. Nautilus is masked with a new look, a few new sounds, once the euphoria of buying it wears off, disappointment will come quickly. So think carefully.

So, when you say you would be disappointed by the Nautilus, it's because you want the controls?

I am just trying to understand the advantage of the Kronos.

1. Controls
2. Aftertouch
3. Easier to expand drive space with 2nd SSD

For some reason I was under the impression that the Nautilus 88 weighed a lot less, but now I understand it is only 2 pounds less. So the main advantage of the Nautilus would be:

1. Still has Korg support while Kronos doesn't
2. Has a new piano sound not available for Kronos (is that correct?)

I will be likely buying used to save money. So if the price is the same, is there really any real advantage to getting a Nautilus? Will I still have more resources from Korg for the Nautilus if I buy used? Because the more I look into it, if I can get a Kronos for the same price used, it sounds like a better deal. Unless I really want that new piano sound in the Nautilus.
J1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am looking at a Kronos 88 shipped to me for $1900 USD. It says great condition, and it will be no problem to return, if necessary, as it is a major retailer. Does this sound like a good price? What are the advantages of buying the Kronos X or Kronos 2 instead? Is there more sounds or more memory? If I get the regular Kronos 88, will I be able to update it so it is as good as the Kronos 2, and if so what would that cost me?
keego

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original krono can run same OS as X and 2. Original Kronos only came with one 30Gb SSD and 2Gb of Ram.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
synthuser25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos has high-quality DAC chips that have been discontinued since 2020. At this point, it's not clear what the Korg engineers skimped on and put into the Nautilus, but the sound definitely takes a step back. I tried it in the store, I didn't like it, there are also video demos on YouTube.
The sound for me is the main difference.
A little more memory or a new piano is not essential.
By the way, you can buy any library from the Korg website if you like piano, it's not that expensive.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:

1. Controls
2. Aftertouch

So the main advantage of the Nautilus would be:

Correct. To update an older K or KX model so it can be identical to a stock K2, you might need to buy the pack linked below. Note that there are 3 or 4 sales every year on the Korg shop site, so simply waiting a few weeks/months you can save up to 33% (IIRC) on any new sound pack or library.

https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/promokorg1.html

For the new piano sound, as mentioned earlier it is exclusive to the Nautilus but there are several others available on the Korg shop site and elsewhere online for the Kronos. Not to mention you can create your own sounds using the Kronos sampler, etc.
J1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthuser25 wrote:
Kronos has high-quality DAC chips that have been discontinued since 2020. At this point, it's not clear what the Korg engineers skimped on and put into the Nautilus, but the sound definitely takes a step back. I tried it in the store, I didn't like it, there are also video demos on YouTube.
The sound for me is the main difference.
A little more memory or a new piano is not essential.
By the way, you can buy any library from the Korg website if you like piano, it's not that expensive.

Can others attest to this? Is it true when playing the same sound on Kronos and Nautilus, that the Kronos produces better sound? Sometimes I think these things are just in our heads...but if the technology producing the same sound is in fact different, then I can see why we would hear a difference...

Also, now I understand that I can download a bundle from Korg that contains all the Kronos sounds that are not included in the Nautilus, and install it in the Nautilus, giving me all the sounds of both keyboards. But it is not possible to install any Nautilus sounds into the Kronos. This is certainly an advantage of the Nautilus.
synthuser25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all top models of Japanese synths always have the AK4393 DAC. This is not a quality standard, but a golden mean between price and quality for manufacturers. Kronos has the same AK4393 DAC and after the DAC the NE5532 op-amp.
I don't know what's in Nautilus, probably no one has opened it yet so we can find out.
By no means is Nautilus a bad choice.
I made my choice based on a personal test. Tried Nautilus 2 times. I had played Kronos a few times and knew what to expect. Apart from that, my old Korg was an M3.
For me, the dilemma was not so much about Nautilus or Kronos, my concerns were mainly that Kronos is already an outdated model and whether there will be maintenance parts.
I got lucky. My Kronos is 2 years old, barely used, like new. Parts for it are still available, I believe there will be for a long time.
The main thing is to try what you will like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEn6ODbi1Q
J1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthuser25 wrote:
Almost all top models of Japanese synths always have the AK4393 DAC. This is not a quality standard, but a golden mean between price and quality for manufacturers. Kronos has the same AK4393 DAC and after the DAC the NE5532 op-amp.
I don't know what's in Nautilus, probably no one has opened it yet so we can find out.
By no means is Nautilus a bad choice.
I made my choice based on a personal test. Tried Nautilus 2 times. I had played Kronos a few times and knew what to expect. Apart from that, my old Korg was an M3.
For me, the dilemma was not so much about Nautilus or Kronos, my concerns were mainly that Kronos is already an outdated model and whether there will be maintenance parts.
I got lucky. My Kronos is 2 years old, barely used, like new. Parts for it are still available, I believe there will be for a long time.
The main thing is to try what you will like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEn6ODbi1Q

I watched that video a couple times, but I realized one has weighted keys and the other has semi, so it's not really a good comparison as the feel and velocity will be different, resulting in different sound.

This video below is played on both semi-weighted, so a better comparison. I thought the Nautilus sounds brighter on some sounds, on others didn't notice a difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTBE2113hM
synthuser25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I had a Yamaha MOXF, in all the commercials they convinced me that the sound was the same as that of the MOTIF XF, yes but no. Live things look and sound completely different. Cheaper but identical to the more expensive one - would you believe it.
That's why I wrote to you, test if you have the opportunity. If you are satisfied with the sound and functioning of the Nautilus, then this is your instrument, which is by no means bad.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
synthuser25 wrote:

So, when you say you would be disappointed by the Nautilus, it's because you want the controls?

1. Controls
2. Aftertouch

For some reason I was under the impression that the Nautilus 88 weighed a lot less, but now I understand it is only 2 pounds less. So the main advantage of the Nautilus would be:

I will be likely buying used to save money. So if the price is the same, is there really any real advantage to getting a Nautilus? Will I still have more resources from Korg for the Nautilus if I buy used? Because the more I look into it, if I can get a Kronos for the same price used, it sounds like a better deal. Unless I really want that new piano sound in the Nautilus.

FWIW, lack of after touch is the deal breaker for me. Not to put aftertouch on a high end keyboard should be considered to be a heinous crime!

All the extra controls are good, but I rarely have both hands free, so I use foot controllers and aftertouch mostly when I play live.

Also you have Karma on the Kronos, which is pretty amazing. But I guess if you have never used it you won't miss it and will probably be more than happy with the arpeggiator in the Nautilus

I have had my Kronos since 2014 and still feel I have not scratched the surface of its capabilities! So if you do end up with a Kronos, you will not be disappointed

Cannot comment on this DAC argument, but I have heard a similar argument being made for changes in Yamahas - and it may be do with the global chip shortage.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: