Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Cooling Warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Fan Cooling Warning Reply with quote

Anyone else encounter a Fan Cooling warning at the top of the screen?

There's nothing about it in the manual, except the Parameter Guide briefly mentions a setting for Fan Control, and that the system will turn the fan on as necessary:

This comes up after playing the Symphonic Piano&String program for 30 seconds ~ 1 minute, and only on that patch.
The first time it occurred the sound was stuttering and dropping out until the warning went away and the system presumably cooled down enough.

My concern is while I'm currently playing indoor shows and it's wintertime, what might happen at outdoor shows in the summer?
I'm not a fan of what should be a simple background cooling task throwing warnings at me while playing, and when the system shouldn't be working particularly hard!!!
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really familiar with the specifics of the Nautilus, but first thing to do is check the processor temperature in the Fan Control page whilst playing that patch. There should also be a diagnostic test mode you can access which will let you check the fan speed. Not sure what the specific combination of buttons should be on the Nautilus - maybe check the Kronos service manual and see if that gives you some hints as to how to access the diagnostic mode on the Nautilus as I don't think the Nautilus service manual is widely available.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Global Fan Control. Maybe is set to off. Default must be AUTO.
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved.

I recently saw a little insignificant piece of plastic in my case, turns out it was a retaining pin on the heat sink for the processor on the motherboard.

Popped in a nylon screw and nut I had on hand.

Really?

Korg… people…

REALLY???
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRKaT2SpdW8A9ANE7
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just using a screw might put too much mechanical strain on the device below the heatsink. Did you fit a suitable spring between screw head and heatsink?

hephiroth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downtownpaulyp wrote:
Problem solved.

I recently saw a little insignificant piece of plastic in my case, turns out it was a retaining pin on the heat sink for the processor on the motherboard.

Popped in a nylon screw and nut I had on hand.

Really?

Korg… people…

REALLY???

Can you explain this a bit more? I am suddenly having some fan issues on my Kronos. It has an identical heat sink as shown in your photo, and I’ve noticed that one of the retaining pins, as you call them, is missing on mine as well. A photo I had taken of it a year ago shows the pin was previously there. I had to send it in for an unrelated repair through my warranty program a couple months ago, and I’m wondering if the pin got displaced somehow. Do you think this is causing the issue?
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hephiroth wrote:

Can you explain this a bit more? I am suddenly having some fan issues on my Kronos. It has an identical heat sink as shown in your photo, and I’ve noticed that one of the retaining pins, as you call them, is missing on mine as well. A photo I had taken of it a year ago shows the pin was previously there. I had to send it in for an unrelated repair through my warranty program a couple months ago, and I’m wondering if the pin got displaced somehow. Do you think this is causing the issue?

Yes, it's the most likely problem unless the fan itself has died.

Not sure if this is an exact replacement, but:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-HK127-R0/4809539

You'll notice how the retaining pin has some flaps / flanges on the end. I think what happens is vibration due to moving the keyboard around fatigues those flanges and the retaining pin simply falls out.

There are metal versions of retaining pins that I think would be far superior for a gigging keyboard, but would take some measuring to determine the correct one.
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Just using a screw might put too much mechanical strain on the device below the heatsink. Did you fit a suitable spring between screw head and heatsink?

I'm ordering plastic and brass push-pins with springs. If the brass ones fit, then I think that will go far to solve long-term reliability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: