Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumb synth question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Dumb synth question Reply with quote

I know what sounds right for a given need, but I don't know enough about synths to make effective changes to get what I want.

For example, Paul McCartney's song "Sing The Changes"

At 11 seconds into this video you can hear a high note trail that is doubling the ascending opening riff. I might be able to pick something similar to this, but if I needed to edit how the sound ends I'd be lost.

https://youtu.be/S6EbORrYL0k?t=11

At 27 seconds I hear what I think is some sort of pad synth but I can't tell what it is.

https://youtu.be/S6EbORrYL0k?t=27

All the synths in the Nautilus are either leads, "motion" synths, or what they call slow synths.

There are a few options within the slow synths that aren't bright or have any sort of attack that might work for this context, but... and I don't even know what to call it... but when you release the notes after playing them... there's a long trail off, sort of like reverb... I checked the effects and didn't see any reverb so I have to assume it's something about the synth settings that's making this happen.

I could live with it, but chord changes would be muddled (even though this song only has three)...

How can I remove this trail off? What is it called?

Even better, if someone can tell me what stock sounds in the Nautilus would do the trick, I'd appreciate it.

(I did notice there is something like a guitar patch being played by the keyboardist and I can find something like that without any trouble)

Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding altering the sound "trails" or "tails" that are not reverb-related, go to the AMP EG section, and look at the AMP 1 EG tab (and AMP2 EG tab for two oscillator Programs). This is equivalent to the ADSR controls (Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release) found on many synths, but with added control over levels and times. Also here are the settings for the modulation of those by other sources. The main Parameter that needs to be changed is the Release Time, found on the right of the second line of parameters. The on-screen graphic will reflect the effect of the changes made.

fluna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Regarding altering the sound "trails" or "tails" that are not reverb-related, go to the AMP EG section, and look at the AMP 1 EG tab (and AMP2 EG tab for two oscillator Programs). This is equivalent to the ADSR controls (Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release) found on many synths, but with added control over levels and times. Also here are the settings for the modulation of those by other sources. The main Parameter that needs to be changed is the Release Time, found on the right of the second line of parameters. The on-screen graphic will reflect the effect of the changes made.

Awesome! Thanks for the assistance! I'll take a look at that shortly.
fluna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

FYI. Spot on, my friend. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: