Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"VCO" sync?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muriatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: "VCO" sync? Reply with quote

Hello

I realise that there are a number of hard sync "one-shot" waveforms in the Wavestate (WS) such as Sync Lead and but what I wanted to do was a typical hard sync master/slave oscillator pairing, with a slow LFO driving the master pitch and thus generating the classic hard sync sound, for example:

https://youtu.be/PFlBt2PoYBA?t=302

Two questions then:
1) Can I do VCO sync, other than by using one of the existing samples?

I think not - the WS is an impressive sample player, so to get the effect I want I would need to load a set of samples of a hard synced VCO pair . Either that or I have missed an existing, suitable voice!

2) Is this hard sync sound something which, in theory, could be implemented in the WS effects section?
paipa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waveshaper can turn a saw into a hard sync saw easily enough (out = r*in - floor(r*in) where r is the slave ratio and in/out are scaled between 0 and 1 for simplicity), but I don't think you could make it work on the Wavestate in a useful way, because:

a) AFAIK you can't define a custom waveshaping function (certainly not on the hardware, don't know about the VST)

b) Even if you could, the effects are not voice- but program-level. That rules out polyphony (which might be ok) but also the on-board LFO modulation of the ratio, since LFOs on the wavestate are voice-level sources and can't be used to modulate FX. You'd have to do it with external MIDI CC's or the vector envelope.

c) You'd want to apply the VCA and filter after waveshaping, not before.

Now a) and b) are not necessarily insurmountable, if there's a builtin waveshaper like a multi-cycle saw (or multi-cycle anything), feeding it a unipolar saw with modulated amplitude would give you hard sync with a modulated ratio. But c) would still apply, and I guess an unfiltered, full amplitude hard sync voice isn't what you're after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: