Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 61 Volume drop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddavis539

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos 61 Volume drop Reply with quote

I use a this model as my top keyboard, gigging about 2 to 3 times a month now, but will be busier in the summer. I've noticed a problem with it lately at rehearsal and the past couple of gigs where the volume level just drops suddenly and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it heard, other than rebooting - which is inconvenient in the middle of a song.

At first it was dropping by about 10 db, so I prepared for that by bumping my key largo from 12 to 3:00 and switching the Korg volume from 2 to 10 initially, and I could get the level back when it happened by switching the korg to 10. However now the drop is more significant and even if I set the Kronos volume and keylargo to maximum, it can barely be heard (until I reboot).

There doesn't seem to be any hardware reason - I'm not changing any knobs, the master volume and joysticks are not being used, it just happens in the middle of playing. I've had it for only 2 years, so I presume it could st

I do have it hooked up to an iPad running ForScore which sends midi program change commands for each song in the various setlists. I'm wondering if it could be caused by a rogue midi command that can affect the volume this way? Is there a log file of midi commands received that's accessible to help troubleshoot this? Has anyone else experienced this problem and came up with a solution?

I presume I could have it looked at by the dealer I bought it from (Sweetwater), but can't afford to be without it too long - I'm wondering if a nautilus could be used as a replacement while it's serviced, presuming patches could be imported or adapted (I don't use karma that much or aftertouch).
KingKronos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The master volume slider (#9) is the usual suspect.
Just move it slightly, then push back to max.

However, it’s entirely possible a rogue MIDI CC 7 is the cause.

There are 2 fixes to try live, without turning off the Kronos.
Engage the COMPARE button.

Or, in Set List mode, tap 2 different slots quickly.
Then go back to your original program/combi/slot. HTH
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:

Engage the COMPARE button.

This! Great tip for when things suddenly go wonky.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is the joystick controller. I disabled it in global settings shortly after I got my Kronos, because I found it moves too easily, and unexpectedly modifies the sound of the current patch.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this kind of thing happens I work on the question “what changed?”

Did you change any configuration?
Are the sliders in a position where you can’t knock them accidentally?
If you disconnect the iPad does the problem go away?
Are you using any libraries that aren’t authenticated?
wocongming

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Kronos 2 flaws Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
Another possibility is the joystick controller. I disabled it in global settings shortly after I got my Kronos, because I found it moves too easily, and unexpectedly modifies the sound of the current patch.

damn. i have 2 Kronos 2 88s and both have done that and 1 of them is STILL doing it even a few months after i had the whole joystick replaced. If it werent for the amazing sequencer on the kronos, i would had NEVER thought $3700 or even $2500 used would be a good value for this keyboard that gets so many flaws.
ddavis539

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem seems to happen randomly. I do use an iPad to send program changes to it from ForScore - but it usually happens after a signal has switched programs. i.E I'm playing a part to a song and without interacting with any control I suddenly cannot hear the sounds. If I stop the rest of the music I can barely hear any output sound, even if I crank the volume knob all the way up. Normally it is in synch with my Nord's volume when set to 2:00.

I've tried using other audio cables and that doesn't help. I've tried switching the ports on my key largo to see if the problem was there and the low sound just moved with the Kronos cables. I just tried updating to the very latest O/S and the only thing that did was make to low volume more of a constant now.

On a whim I just tried moving my audio output cables from the L/R outputs to the adjacent 1/2 - and those do have a higher output - so maybe there's a hardware or loose connection problem with the L/R outputs. I'll try using the other ones for now and see if that works consistently. In the meantime I'll be looking at getting a separate controller and recreating my Korg sounds in Main stage as a backup and to have available if I need to ship the Kronos out for service.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t say if you tried tapping the “compare” button, or briefly switching to a different program or combi and back. I would still suspect an errant midi cc message turning down the patch volume or expression.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outputs 1 and 2 (3 and 4 as well) are not affected by the Main Volume, and the output level on those outputs would be the same as using the main L&R outs with Main Volume set to max, so it's not surprising that the output level is higher there.

Try keeping the Master slider at its maximum position, and see if that helps, and also the Value slider, just in case noise in the system is sufficient to trigger the slider movement-detect algorithm. Another thing to try might be to set the Knob/Slider Mode to Catch in the Global menus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: