Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Program Changes to select Performances

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransSynth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Using Program Changes to select Performances Reply with quote

I use my Modwave with Cubase DAW and I'm unsure how to use program change messages to remember a Performance inside a song. Using Cubase's own Bank/Program selector seems to produce only the Init Performance, no matter which bank or program is transmitted. Perhaps someone will advise me.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet tried sending program changes to mine, but the MIDI implementation chart shows that it receives only program change numbers 0 thru 63 and that it "Select Slots in the current Set List."

I take that to mean that you'll want to create a custom set list for the Cubase song(s) you're creating. That should simplify things greatly and avoid the INIT Performance patch. In the user guide, under the set list section, it says:

Quote:
Set Lists let you group and order Performances for gigs or projects. A Set List has 64 Slots, arranged into four banks A-
D, corresponding to MIDI Program Change messages 1-64.

This means that you don't need to send a bank command -- only a program change command. The banks are used to access the performances from the Modwave itself.

What I don't know is whether you can send a Set List change command as well. I'm unsure if Korg released a full MIDI implementation spec for the Modwave. One thing you can try though is recording Set List Changes and Performance Changes from the Modwave to Cubase to see what the MW transmits and then send those back to the Modwave on playback to see what happens...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If it is anything like the Wavestate, and looking at the manual it looks like it is, then it will not respond to Bank Select CCs. On the Wavestate you have to first select your set list, and the program changes 0-63 will select slots 1-64 in the set list. So that at last should work

Given the memory architecture in the Wavestate (and I assume the Modwave), then I understand why Korg have gone for this approach, but I would prefer it if you could have some way of mapping Bank Select to different set lists. I may suggest that to them!

I have used Cubase to select patches on the Wavestate (in the current setlist), so not sure why you are having a problem.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
TransSynth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
unsure if Korg released a full MIDI implementation spec for the Modwave. One thing you can try though is recording Set List Changes and Performance Changes from the Modwave to Cubase to see what the MW transmits and then send those back to the Modwave on playback to see what happens...
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Wavestate and Modwave have software editors. Do these use Sysex or some other protocol? If the former, then I presume it's possible to send sysex from Cubase to the MW. Korg really ought to release a full midi spec on these things, not just the simplified chart at the end of the manual.

Edit: I'm going to have to hook up my MW to my PC and see what it transmits...
pulsepsycle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Both the Wavestate and Modwave have software editors. Do these use Sysex or some other protocol? If the former, then I presume it's possible to send sysex from Cubase to the MW. Korg really ought to release a full midi spec on these things, not just the simplified chart at the end of the manual.

I fully agree on this one!

Edit: I'm going to have to hook up my MW to my PC and see what it transmits...

I tried MidiOX to see what is transmitted when changing banks or set lists: nothing.

If you stay within the same set list you have 64 performances available though by Program Change command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg ModWave All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: