Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PolySix Battery Leak repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torontobob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: PolySix Battery Leak repair Reply with quote

Originally posted in New Members Section, but is probably more appropriate here.

Twenty years ago I picked up a PolySix for $25 at a garage sale. Yes - it has the battery leak issue. And now I'm going to tackle it.

Around then I happened on http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/repair3.html

Back then he offered a swap service whereby he would swap a repaired board for a damaged one for $100. But no reply these days ... So, DIY is the option here (following his instructions.)

Doubting my abilities to repair the board myself I'm wondering about the KiwiSix replacement: http://kiwitechnics.com/kiwisix.htm

And this solution https://synthronics.de/klm-368-replacement-board/

And maybe there are other options.

Any advice/experience out there to help me take the 1st step?

Thanks!
nickle15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I hadn't seen this post earlier. Where are you at in the process now? I'm in the same boat with a Polysix I bought as basically a box of parts. Interested to hear about your progress...
torontobob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickle15! Thanks for the reply!

I'm not a lot further ahead - winter is when I do my 'tinkering'. But it sounds like I'm in better shape than you are. My PolySix is complete - it just has the 'fried' main board from the battery leak. And the front corners of the case are pretty chewed-up. Crappy fibre-board in there - so I' also on a woodworking site where I hope to score some materials/help making a new case from walnut or something.

Anyway, the Old-Crow info has me ready to go - and there's a great electronics-supply outfit here in Toronto where I can get what I need. (https://shop.sayal.com/)

Anyway - I'm nervous about this. Last year I finished restoring a chopped Hammond B3. Years ago I was lucky to have all the lower sections rebuilt by a master woodworker - sadly passed now. All that sit for a LONG time but with Covid I finally did the 200-or-so solder connections to get the beast roaring again. But - that was all point-to-point wiring. The PolySix fix is all PCB - which I've never attempted before.

So - repairing PCB traces with 30 awg wire, etc. - I will probably now add blindness to the cancer from all the soldering I did last year! Very Happy

I'll update here when I get rolling on this. Please do the same!

Bob
nickle15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the follow up!

I've been gathering the needed parts to be able to assemble the keyboard, which we finally did last night. I bought a walnut case online because mine didn't include a case. So now the externals are pretty much there.

We found out that the transformer is bad, so right off the bat we can't check anything else. A custom transformer is being built because I can't find a suitable stock replacement. Once we get that we'll be able to start testing further. I'm strongly considering the Kiwisix replacement board and possibly the power upgrade as well, but time will tell. I've spent enough at this point that I can't really turn back!

We also recently completed a cleaning and repair of a miniKorg 700 for a guy in our area. A switch broke (which was severely bent when we got it) and we just can't seem to find a replacement. I happened to buy a Korg Poly Ensemble P recently and we think one of the switches off of there will work on the mini. So I think that's the plan - then we'll have to find one for the Poly Ensemble to replace it.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling but I'll be sure to keep you posted as we go along!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this thread now but in here in Toronto, we have a vintage synth repair company called "Synths When". I'm planning on taking my old Polysix there. They told me they know how to fix them, last I heard, which was about a year ago.
Hope this helps somebody.

Cheer to old Polysixes!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
torontobob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synths When - I love the name!

Thanks for this - I may hand this over to pros at some point. As it is I've clipped off components that mount in bad traces and have sucked out the bits left behind. Scraping up the toasted traces is not easy by any stretch. But I'm wondering if that's really necessary since new connections will be mad on the bottom of the board with #30 wire. If I ever get to it ...

There is also a couple of drop-in replacement boards out there, like the KiwiSix (https://kiwitechnics.com/kiwisix.htm) Expensive maybe, but you're done when it's in.
nickle15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. Sorry I failed to keep this thread updated. We finally put the finishing touches on the Polysix in November. It was a long process for sure, but very rewarding. Here it is:
https://youtu.be/xWxbIO4tK4Q
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries at all. I just stumbled upon it and decided to throw in my own 2 cents worth. Hope I could help. I have a couple of old synths that need a lot of TLC. My Polysix and my MiniKorg.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: