Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5X 88 keys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: PA5X 88 keys Reply with quote

Does anyone here own a PA5X 88 ? Interesting to find out what the "Key's" feel like.
andfri78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also unterested on a feedback / review on 88 piano keyboard
martinbaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one.
I think is the fatar tp100/LR.
Little noisy but ok overall.
I prefer the kronos 88 keys
andfri78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I also have my PA5x 88.

My Keys from A6 to C8 (16 keys) were not working!
After discussion with my dealer I was allowed to open it.
Cleaned the Flexcables from Keyboard to PCBA, plugged it in, now it works!

On the Label the Fatar TP-100 is printed. Nothing more.

The Key Action is (very) precise. More on the heavy side. Need to get used a little to it, comparded with my Roland FP-90, which I prefer. But the Roland Key Action is not that precise!
The noise of TP-100 is loud, yes.
There are few procedures online to better lubricate / grease and even to thicken / strengthen the foam, where the hammer hits. I will very likey go this route.

What be interested in thoughts and procedures to optimize and quiten TP-100. Would also like to make it a little lighter, but I‘m unsure how to do.

The Piano sounds are much better on the Hammer Mechanics!
Bromalex-vic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much andfri78
This was the first confirmation, I've seen, of the Fatar keybed model used in the Pa5X-88.
Shame it isn't the newest TP110.
Waiting for a demo unit to test it (but at this rate of stock reposition plus the waiting list ... one needs to be patient Smile
Cheers
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andfri78 wrote:
Now I also have my PA5x 88.

The Key Action is (very) precise. More on the heavy side. Need to get used a little to it, comparded with my Roland FP-90, which I prefer. But the Roland Key Action is not that precise!
The noise of TP-100 is loud, yes.

Hi
Glad someone has been able to give some detail. I have one but don’t really feel qualified to comment.
Interesting you say action is on the heavy side, in which case I must like a heavy action.
I’d been out off buying a Yamaha P515 piano because I’d read comments about it having a heavy action, so I bought a
Kawai es920 instead. Had always wondered if I’d made the right choice as I was not able to try them. Anyway mute point , sold Kawai after buying PA5x.

Sounds like you didn’t have a great start, but glad you were able to fix it. Wow.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rubenwalters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all
cool that anyone own a 88-key.
I am not sure if this fits to me.
I own a native-instruments Kontrol S88-MK2
Is this exactly the same keybed?
are you sure it is a TP100LR?
thank you
AndrewKeyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disappointed with the PA5X 88.
The keybed is too noisy for me.
I was probably fooling myself initially thinking things were fine, but they were not. It is the worst weighted action I've owned in terms of loudness. (Have owned Yamaha / Casio / Roland / Nord and Kawai weighted actions) Sorry if I personally misled anyone on the keybed. It's no good at all in my opinion. I know Nord also uses Fatar but I honestly can't remember that one being as noisy as this.
Why did Korg use Fatar if they make their own keybeds that get better reviews?

Furthermore mine has developed serious rattling / squeaks after very little home use.

See my video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mys3xzQhSnQ&ab_channel=AndrewKeyz

I am in contact with my dealer. Even once fixed I think I will get rid of this keyboard. I've gone back to using a Yamaha Genos. It is more fun and easier to play. Easier with registrations to prepare things rather than the constant keyset programming via the screen, and can do simple things which I expect at this price point: record internally to WAV !

I agree the keybed is on the heavy side, heavier than Roland RD2000. That one I already thought was too heavy to be comfortable. For arranger material I don't think this is suitable. You have to play hard to get good sound and cut through the mix with a style. This is the first time owning a keyboard where family members have commented on "what is all that loud clunking coming from the music room late at night?".

I think I will attempt to pair the Genos up with a Kawai VPC1 or MP11SE and have the best of both worlds: Good piano-esque keybed and still an organ/synth style keybed for material where suited.

I was hoping the Korg Pa5X would be an all in one solution.
For me I'd rather play the Genos without the weighted action, even though I struggle a bit with piano parts on there at times.
That says enough.

Sorry Korg. I tried, I really tried, but I'm giving up.
rubenwalters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the interesting article and the video.

here in this post it says that it should be a Fatar TP/40.
https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11929
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm

Korg has already built in Fatar keybeds and called them RH2 or RH3.

I have the same noises with the Native Instruments S88-MK2 as well with the Fatar TP100LR Keybed, but not as loud. In the video you can see that on some keys at a certain repetition speed the noise arises. This would be certainly normal in part, but very loud in this video.
I myself have never heard this noise with the S88 because I always play with speakers or headphones. So you can not hear them most of the time.

Further one more reason is that the cases of the keyboards are practically empty and thus form a wonderful resonance chamber for these noises. With a real Steinway grand piano, everything is made of solid wood and the action actually has wood resistance. Perhaps that rattles less. However, I've also never heard the keybed noise of a grand or upright piano by itself without the sound Wink

I had also the Idea to combine the S88 with the Pa4x as Midi Keyboard. But it don't work because the S88 don't work without PC-Software anymore and is only for use with NI software. It was unable to handle a Keyboard Split or selecting Midi channels.
If you know a 88-Key Masterpiano that fits to the Korg Pa5x Midi configuration I would be open for any input in this case.

thank you
AndrewKeyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Fatar has such a poor official website is maybe telling about the quality of their products. Holy hell. Shocked

I see many people quite happy with the NI S88 master keyboards.

In fact the only people I see slate Fatar are real pianists on pianoworld. Maybe I should have listened to them more.

This was an expensive mistake.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewKeyz wrote:
For arranger material I don't think this is suitable. You have to play hard to get good sound and cut through the mix with a style. This is the first time owning a keyboard where family members have commented on "what is all that loud clunking coming from the music room.

Hi , did you consider setting the bass, drum and backing instruments to a lower level? I’ve set mine to 70% for all 3, that way I don’t have to pound on the keys to hear the melody, over the backing. Factory setting is 100%. It’s set and forget, unless you decide to change it again.
Thought initially I was going to have to alter the volumes in the styles until I found the setting.
That rattling on those keys it certainly shouldn’t be doing.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AndrewKeyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
AndrewKeyz wrote:
For arranger material I don't think this is suitable. You have to play hard to get good sound and cut through the mix with a style. This is the first time owning a keyboard where family members have commented on "what is all that loud clunking coming from the music room.

Hi , did you consider setting the bass, drum and backing instruments to a lower level? I’ve set mine to 70% for all 3, that way I don’t have to pound on the keys to hear the melody, over the backing. Factory setting is 100%. It’s set and forget, unless you decide to change it again.
Thought initially I was going to have to alter the volumes in the styles until I found the setting.
That rattling on those keys it certainly shouldn’t be doing.

It is a good tip. Thanks.

Yes the rattling especially is clearly a hardware problem.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubenwalters wrote:

Hi Ruben, very interesting reading that list. I’ve never really paid any attention to what keybed my keyboard might have. Most of them have had fatar by the looks of things.
Actually would be interesting to hear how noisy an acoustic piano keybed vs a digital piano keybed is, haven’t played an acoustic since the mid 90’s .

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AndrewKeyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
rubenwalters wrote:

Hi Ruben, very interesting reading that list. I’ve never really paid any attention to what keybed my keyboard might have. Most of them have had fatar by the looks of things.
Actually would be interesting to hear how noisy an acoustic piano keybed vs a digital piano keybed is, haven’t played an acoustic since the mid 90’s .

I have a Yamaha U1 upright piano next to the Korg Pa5X88. It has a practice pedal so it almost completely dampens the strings when pressed so you can hear the key press events quite clearly.

I'd estimate the "clunk" when pressing the real piano keys loudly is about 50% of the volume of the PA5X plastic keyboard. The weird thing is, playing the real piano harder / maximum you can doesn't increase the volume of that clunk much. But on the PA5X it most certainly does!

The Kawai CA67 I owned almost seemed like an exact replica of the U1 in digital form, since it uses real wooden keys.

I think I will be attempting to go back to a Kawai wooden key action and forgetting all this plastic 88 weighted key rubbish found on these expensive keyboards these days.

Those wooden Kawai actions are not necessarily perfect and sometimes come with their own problems but from what I've seen maintaining them, re-felting etc is actually quite easy. Like a real piano.
andfri78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keyboard in the PA5x 88 is a Fatar TP100. I needed to open the Keyboard to fix some rattling key buttons.

I fully agree, the Fatar TP100 key action is loud. I don't have the annoying sounds like yours, but the hammers in the TP100 are pushed fast and loud against some foam. I will likely fix it sometime with thicker foam strips.

But here is another perspective:
I have a Roland FP90 and the key action is not that loud, but also not that precise than Fatar TP100.
On the Korg PA5x, although the key action is heavy, you can really play more precise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: