Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loudness issue with Midi track

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Loudness issue with Midi track Reply with quote

Hello Cool

In the final stages of finishing a song in the sequencer. I've ran into an issue with one of my midi instruments where it is at peak volume at 127 but it sounds low and is muffled by all the other instruments. I have other midi instruments they found fine and cut in clear through the truck but this instrument is rather quiet when I need it in the forefront.

Any idea on how to increase the loudness of this track? I often find the midi instruments sink into the background when you record audio tracks in to the sequencer except for the basses. I never really found a good work around for this problem. The Kronos never seems quite loud enough for me.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sending it to an IFX compressor.
wocongming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Loudness issue with Midi track Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Hello Cool

In the final stages of finishing a song in the sequencer. I've ran into an issue with one of my midi instruments where it is at peak volume at 127 but it sounds low and is muffled by all the other instruments. I have other midi instruments they found fine and cut in clear through the truck but this instrument is rather quiet when I need it in the forefront.

Any idea on how to increase the loudness of this track? I often find the midi instruments sink into the background when you record audio tracks in to the sequencer except for the basses. I never really found a good work around for this problem. The Kronos never seems quite loud enough for me.

First of all, in general, when you set up your sequencer to record a song, you should set ALL your track volumes to 50 or 40(which i like to do). This way you never have to go to 127 on any sounds and always have leeway like in your situation to raise the volume. that being said, if i were you i would remix using this philosophy. if thats too much for you, then you can do 1 of 2 things....If you have an extra IFX spot, then use a stereo compressor to boost the sound(but dont use too much or the sound quality will diminish. OR you can go to the EQ of that track and put the midrange to about 1000 to 1500 and then boost the level of that to like 8 to 11.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Stereo Limiter to push up the gain. Threshold around 00 if I need to increase the gain only, not other modification of sound. Compressor change the sound character too much.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Loudness issue with Midi track Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:

First of all, in general, when you set up your sequencer to record a song, you should set ALL your track volumes to 50 or 40(which i like to do). This way you never have to go to 127 on any sounds and always have leeway like in your situation to raise the volume. that being said, if i were you i would remix using this philosophy. if thats too much for you, then you can do 1 of 2 things....If you have an extra IFX spot, then use a stereo compressor to boost the sound(but dont use too much or the sound quality will diminish. OR you can go to the EQ of that track and put the midrange to about 1000 to 1500 and then boost the level of that to like 8 to 11.

Hello,

That's a cool suggestions but I don't record audio tracks at full volume though. I need the room for the mix. On the Midi side of things though it doesn't matter much it's always going to be set to what Korg thinks "loud" is.

The issue is that after using my IFX stack the instrument I have on the midi channel has become too low and is now sitting too far in the background. When I put the volume up to max 127 it sounds like it's at 57 and is still too low to be heard. I can't play with the EQ too much it diminishes the effect of the filter but it doesn't do much to alter the volume level.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the type of MIDI instrument that you're using that is causing the problem, because its frequencies clash with those around it?
I'm thinking of situations like for example layering two kick drums on top of one another, and finding that each diminishes the impact of the other.

Maybe some EQing on the track in question, or else on any competing tracks, would improve/resolve it.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that lowering the volume of audio tracks in relation to the MIDI tracks should help. Separation of the individual instruments in each track by EQ is a good suggestion. Having different panning settings for each track (even just a little bit left or right of center) can also help to separate tracks in the spatial stereo space and maintain their distinctiveness.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "MIDI Instrument" I assume you mean a Kronos Program? Have you tried editing the Program to make it louder there? Perhaps the oscillators are not at max, or there's some other way to boost the sound. You don't say HD-1 or AL-1 or whatever, but there might be ways to boost the output of the program itself.

Also, are you saying you have no IFX available? Because as pointed out by others, an easy way to boost the volume of a program is to run it through a limiter with the ratio set to 1:1 so there's no actual limiting going on, and then use gain boost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: