Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original M3 OS needed...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Original M3 OS needed... Reply with quote

So we all know the OS for the M3 is stored on an SD card inside the machine.

I have an issue with eh damper jack in that it is not working correctly. I have checked all cable connections inside and all PCBs and daughter boards are all firmly connected.

The other jacks on that connector board all work fine, it's juts the damper, which is leading me to believe that it maybe an OS thing.
It is running the latest 2.05 however I cannot downgrade the OS via usual means , nor will it allow me to re-install the latest OS, so I was thinking if I remove the SD Card and manually reload it with the original OS and then re-install each successive update it might just fix the issue.

As I wrote all physical connectors are firm and there are no other issues.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here please? I've been to Korg Downloads, but I can find no info on actually downgrading the OS.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the damper pedal been checked with a multimeter, just to check that the contacts are closing properly.

pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Has the damper pedal been checked with a multimeter, just to check that the contacts are closing properly.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've tried a couple of different units and all have the same result.

Not sure there's a real need to check with a MM, if the pedals are working fine with other equipment.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multimeter, using the resistance measurement function, would help to give some idea of how "good" the Damper pedal contact closure was, which might have an impact on detection of pedal operation by the M3. The other thing that could be tested is the presence of the "sense" voltage on the damper jack, by plugging in a TR cable, or an unwired jack plug, into the Damper jack socket on the M3, and measuring the voltage at the end of the cable, or on the plug contacts. It should be around 3.3 Volts. If 3.3 Volts is not present, then this needs to be investigated. Shorting the other end of the TR cable, or the jack plug contacts would simulate damper pedal operation.

A software issue seems unlikely, though not impossible. The device that senses the Damper pedal operation is also responsible for the Pedal input, and the rotary encoder, and the Tempo button. If those are working correctly, then it suggests that the OS is able to get data from the device.

If you still want to go down the OS route, this link may help:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=280

Note the warning from Korg about downgrading the OS: "Warning: DO NOT attempt to downgrade your OS from 2.0 to 1.2 or earlier – this is not supported and will render your M3 inoperable without help from your local Distributor and Korg Inc.".
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
A multimeter, using the resistance measurement function, would help to give some idea of how "good" the Damper pedal contact closure was, which might have an impact on detection of pedal operation by the M3. The other thing that could be tested is the presence of the "sense" voltage on the damper jack, by plugging in a TR cable, or an unwired jack plug, into the Damper jack socket on the M3, and measuring the voltage at the end of the cable, or on the plug contacts. It should be around 3.3 Volts. If 3.3 Volts is not present, then this needs to be investigated. Shorting the other end of the TR cable, or the jack plug contacts would simulate damper pedal operation.

A software issue seems unlikely, though not impossible. The device that senses the Damper pedal operation is also responsible for the Pedal input, and the rotary encoder, and the Tempo button. If those are working correctly, then it suggests that the OS is able to get data from the device.

If you still want to go down the OS route, this link may help:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=280

Note the warning from Korg about downgrading the OS: "Warning: DO NOT attempt to downgrade your OS from 2.0 to 1.2 or earlier – this is not supported and will render your M3 inoperable without help from your local Distributor and Korg Inc.".

Thanks - yes I'd only be wanting to drop back to 2, or perhaps just before that.

The actual thing happening is that when a pedal is connected to the damper jack, when I press it and try to play a note I get no sound, if I hold the pedal and the play a note it sustains indefinitely. It's almost like it is seeing the damper jack as a continuous (ie expression) input.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being ignored once again, there is an easy way on the M3 to see to exactly what your damper pedal is doing electrically. No mulitmeter required.

Go into SEQ mode, start recording a song, press damper pedal a few times. Then go into Event Edit and look at the CC data. Damper is CC64.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth bearing in mind that there are several steps involved between the damper pedal contacts closing and the generation of CC64 MIDI messages. If the CC64 messages are present in the SEQ mode recording, that would indicate that the sequence of events is intact. If there are no CC64 messages generated, it doesn't exactly tell us where the issue lies, just that the sequence of events is broken somewhere. It is but one piece of evidence in the diagnostics procedure to follow.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it's not meant to be comprehensive troubleshooting. It's meant for those who can't troubleshoot anything electronic, don't have meters, etc. Will also give us an idea as to what the actual problem may be. I doubt it's an OS thing. More likely culprit is the pedal itself, perhaps a compatibility issue, or maybe even a polarity setting in global. Literally don't have enough info to work with to diagnose the actual issue.
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Korg Proprietary pedal, a Roland Pedal a Studiologic pedal, several generic pedals and Roland FS-5 pedals/

All exhibit the exact same behavior in the damper jack.

All work 100% on other devices.

@ hardsync - sorry but ignored again? That was your first post on this thread??

FWIW, I do have a MM, and I do know how to test gear, and these pedals are all fine.

I will however check in the SEQ mode to see exactly what this jack is interpreting the pedal messages as though, good tip!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pax-eterna.1 wrote:

FWIW, I do have a MM, and I do know how to test gear, and these pedals are all fine.

I will however check in the SEQ mode to see exactly what this jack is interpreting the pedal messages as though, good tip!

I wasn't referring to this thread. I had answered several of your posts from last September without acknowledgment. Unfortunately, a lack of acknowledgment is rather common on these forums, and after twelve years of that happening, it remains one of my peeves. I'm just drama queening it... as I'm wont to do.

So I troubleshoot electronic and electrical equipment for my job. One thing I do know is that the physical appearances of components and/or cable connectors making good contact are sometimes not reliable indicators of whether a component on a PCB or perhaps the cabling between PCBs is bad.

In this case, it could be a the damper jack itself, perhaps a lifted/loose ground on the KLM-2644 pcb, a bad cap, diode or resistor on that board, or as voip noted, an improper voltage or short anyway in the signal path somewhere. If all of those things check out fine, the situation becomes a little more complicated as we begin to deal with the ICs that the KLM-2644 feeds into...

Do you have the service manual for the M3?
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh - ok thx. Sincere apologies I usually do respond in a timely fashion for anything, but perhaps in this case as I went away from using the M3 - cannot recall why tbh - it went out of mind. Even so, I should have remembered that there were threads not replies to!
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
pax-eterna.1 wrote:

I wasn't referring to this thread. I had answered several of your posts from last September without acknowledgment. Unfortunately, a lack of acknowledgment is rather common on these forums, and after twelve years of that happening, it remains one of my peeves. I'm just drama queening it... as I'm wont to do.

So I troubleshoot electronic and electrical equipment for my job. One thing I do know is that the physical appearances of components and/or cable connectors making good contact are sometimes not reliable indicators of whether a component on a PCB or perhaps the cabling between PCBs is bad.

In this case, it could be a the damper jack itself, perhaps a lifted/loose ground on the KLM-2644 pcb, a bad cap, diode or resistor on that board, or as voip noted, an improper voltage or short anyway in the signal path somewhere. If all of those things check out fine, the situation becomes a little more complicated as we begin to deal with the ICs that the KLM-2644 feeds into...

Do you have the service manual for the M3?

Yes I think I do - the one I found has all the test codes in the first pages, but not a lot after that tbh...
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be schematics in the service guide as well. I'll PM you a link...
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
There should be schematics in the service guide as well. I'll PM you a link...

Got it, thanks!
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
At the risk of being ignored once again, there is an easy way on the M3 to see to exactly what your damper pedal is doing electrically. No mulitmeter required.

Go into SEQ mode, start recording a song, press damper pedal a few times. Then go into Event Edit and look at the CC data. Damper is CC64.

Ok did that, and I can see the notes but no CC data (went to Edit Page and the Event edit, (haha it's very small screen!!) - that also applies to the standard footswitch socket, when I attached the pedal there, as well as the damper socket.

I tested the footswitch socket before recording and it works 100% as expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: