Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestate with Wavestation SR Set list KORG release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acheron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Wavestate with Wavestation SR Set list KORG release Reply with quote

While I was truly delighted to receive a new Wavestate to pair up with with a Modwave, I still miss the original Wavestation/Wavestation SR performances.

Since there is plenty of room in the Wavestate for the modestly sized Wavestation SR performances and sample tables (what 5-6 Megabytes)?

I would like to see KORG do what ASM has done and release additional sets of performances from time to time.

It would be really appreciative of KORG to release a set of samples/programs/performances as a set list "Wavestation SR" for the Wavestate.

I am certain I am not the only one who would like to see this happen.

Gear: Korg Wavestate SE as the master controller, Korg Wavestate mk I, Korg Modwave, Korg Wavestation SR and Korg Volca Drum.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that request is that the Wavestation and Wavestate are quite different implementations of Wave sequencing.

You can of course get the Wavestation in virtual form from Korg, so I have both! I also have the Wave sequencing in Kronos HD-1, which in total gives me a lot of wave sequencing!

I am not sure Korg will release additional banks, as there is a large 3rd party market out there with some amazing creators (that put my meagre Wavestate editing attempts to shame (but I do not have much free time, and am prioritising getting to know other synths first!).

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
KEYponderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavestation and Wavestate do not have the same architecture of a performance.
In the Wavestation, a performance is made of up to 8 patches. Each patch can have up to 4 oscillators with each one being either a wave or wavesequence.
You can find the Wavestation samples (or waves) in a Wavestate or Kronos.
However, you won't be able to replicate Wavestation performances like "copy&paste", especially if a single patch is made of 4 oscillators.

Many performances made for the Wavestation series would not sound the same in Wavestate or Kronos due to the architecture differences.
Of course, a Wavestation performance with up to 4 patches each having a single oscillator could be replicated in Wavestate.
Ski Jam 20 was refactored for Wavestate, but I think this is the only one performance coming from good old Wavestation.

Have more fun with the new capabilities of a Wavestate. Much better filter and modulation options and dynamic sounds thanks to WaveSeq 2.0.

Hope this helps.
hephiroth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What others have said here about the architectural differences is absolutely correct. It actually would be much easier to replicate original Wavestation sounds on a Kronos or Nautilus (and I think some of this has been done if you search around).

However, I do think it would be very possible for a “best of” or “inspired by” Wavestation collection on Wavestate, especially since a lot of the sounds on the originals don’t even feature wave sequencing and probably don’t need to be included.
KEYponderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. For simple Wavestation sounds, it is not impossible to recreate it for the Wavestate. Just a matter energy you put into a tool-based translation.

Some years ago, I looked into rebuilding sounds I created for the Wavestation to use with Kronos. Got stuck with the 2 osc limit since some of my favorite sounds use 4 osc in one or the other patch of a performance.
The 4 layer limit of the Wavestate adds another hurdle, of course.

The exercise to look at performances which could be repurposed for Wavestate is a bit easier on a Wavestation keyboard with it's bigger display than on the SR rack model Acheron owns.
Acheron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to buy a Wavestation SR off Reverb.com because I missed the original Wavestation sounds so much. The Wavestate with the joystick is the controller. So now this isn't an issue anymore.

Gear: Korg Wavestate SE as the master controller, Korg Wavestate mk I, Korg Modwave, Korg Wavestation SR and Korg Volca Drum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: