Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I bought two new EX's and have only one empty User Bank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landeez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: I bought two new EX's and have only one empty User Bank Reply with quote

I bought two new EX's and only one completely empty User Bank(U-G). So have to overwrite one to use the other? That can not be right? I have a Kronos 2. I bought the Austrian Piano and the Italian Piano EX's. I am very new at this so I was hoping someone could explain how to have both EX's without needing to overwrite anything. Thank you.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is very generous in the number of programs you can store, but at some point you may need to manage the contents to fit more in.

For example, if you have two EXI banks with only 64 programs each in them, then you can use PCG management software like PCG Tools (free) or my kronos.factory (modest cost for lifetime license purchase) to combine the EXI banks into one

Same principle applies for HD-1 of course. It can take a bit of time, but when I got my Kronos, I went through every single bank that came with it, noted the sounds I liked and might use or edit, and consolidated them all down into a few banks.

HTH

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
landeez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Banks Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

My needs are fairly simple at this point. My Kronos is practically new. The user banks came packed with preinstalled programs. Only User bank G was completely open. It is frustrating being a new user. The Austrian Piano only uses 31 spaces in User G bank so I wish could have both the pianos in User G. The preloaded programs are so far pretty good sounds so not really wanting delete other user banks. Is there a simple work around for that?

Thank you
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know about the AA through GG banks right?
landeez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: AA - GG Reply with quote

I guess I do not know about AA - GG. Mind telling me a little about that. Laughing
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AA - GG Reply with quote

landeez wrote:
I guess I do not know about AA - GG. Mind telling me a little about that. Laughing

For example, to get to Bank U-AA, press I-A and U-A buttons together at the same time.

Don't forget that you do not have to lose any of the factory supplied sounds. Save of a PCG file that stores everything, and you can always go back to it.

When I got my Kronos in 2014, the first thing I did was save off the factory state. Still have it now and do go back to it occasionally. This is the great thing about the Kronos having a built in SSD, you can save off all sorts of permutations. I have PCG files for different bands, for composing different types of songs, etc.

Another nice trick of the Kronos is that in disk mode, you can delve into the PCG files and banks, and play a program without loading it. If you like it you can then save it into the currently loaded programs. The only caveat with this trick is any HD-1 samples need to be loaded (full or in a pre-load) otherwise this works really well.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
landeez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks Derek Reply with quote

Thank you. That should really give me all the space I need then. So could you tell me the specific steps I need to take to get the second EXs loaded to the new User Bank. I must asking a very basic question here. Like telling someone how to boil water to you, I imagine. I am actually a life-long guitar player. I took up the piano recently because I love the Kronos. I tried it at Guitar Center and just had to have it. Finally bought it. Amazing how many piano-based ideas I tried to emulate on the guitar for decades that are so straight forward on the keyboard!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube is your friend...

https://youtu.be/tyTWeVBubZM
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ …as is Korg… as posted in a previous thread quite some time back, always sage advice:

tunaman wrote:
Do yourself a favor and download the Operations Guide, Parameter Guide, Quick Start Guide, and Voice Names List PDF files from the Korg website, then spend the time reading each cover to cover. You will likely find yourself referencing them often, especially as you learn the capabilities.

You will be amazed at how much the 10+ year old Kronos can do, once you get under the hood. Still a musical instrument marvel in 2021.

Even providing the links for those who haven’t gotten them yet Smile :

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2010/

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2011/

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2012/

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2014/
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also highly recommend reading through the couple of stickies at the top of the forum ^^^
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
PCG management software like ... my kronos.factory (modest cost for lifetime license purchase) to combine the EXI banks into one

I am curious about your x.factory librarian software: https://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk/

How does it compare to MidiQuest?

Would I have to purchase multiple licenses to use it with my Kronos2, Motif ES8 and Motif Rack ES?

Also, I see that the PCG Tools website at pcgtools.mkspace.nl seems to be gone. Their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PcgTools has a post from October 2022 saying "the website of PCG Tools will be moved to some free website hosting site as I'm not developing PCG Tools anymore" and I can find no link to a new site. But for me, PCG Tools is a non-starter if it is/was a Windows-only app.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say anything about PCG tools and its status, but I always mention free apps to ensure people are aware of the choices and that they have a free option compare to what I charge for (at low cost). I was hoping not to have to write a kronos.factory, but the PCG tools workflow was not for me.

Also cannot comment much on MIDIQuest comparisons as I have not looked at it for 20 odd years, when I dismissed it as not being suitable for my needs and why I started "rolling my own"

kronos.factory is specific to the Kronos. Smile I do have a motif.factory equivalent that covers the Motif ES series (only the ES to be clear, as I have an ES Rack). I do a multi product discount of 20% if you wish to purchase both.

My Echoes Music Website
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of maximising your available User Bank space is to delete the programs that you know you will never use. For example, the two piano-based EXs will contain many dozens of near-identical programs. Out of 128 programs, you may find that you actually only need 10-15 that will really suit the way you like to play. You always have the option to load all/some of the discarded programs again later on, if you decide you want to change the sounds you have.

You can also profitably apply the same principle to the factory presets, where you might find many hundreds of sounds that you'll never really use. I gave myself an extra eight or nine free User Banks that way, and have been able to fill them with far more interesting sounds as a result.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
...the PCG tools workflow was not for me... Also cannot comment much on MIDIQuest comparisons as I have not looked at it for 20 odd years, when I dismissed it as not being suitable for my needs

I just tried your demo version and its features seem to be close to what PCG tools offers. I also see that it can synchronize a split window of the same PCG, which I think is not offered in other freeware. So I am curious to know what you disliked in those two programs (the Kronos Editor and PCG Tools). Or can you tell more about what your program can do that can't be accomplished with the other freeware ? Thanks in advance.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:
...the PCG tools workflow was not for me... Also cannot comment much on MIDIQuest comparisons as I have not looked at it for 20 odd years, when I dismissed it as not being suitable for my needs

I just tried your demo version and its features seem to be close to what PCG tools offers. I also see that it can synchronize a split window of the same PCG, which I think is not offered in other freeware. So I am curious to know what you disliked in those two programs (the Kronos Editor and PCG Tools). Or can you tell more about what your program can do that can't be accomplished with the other freeware ? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for showing an interest in what I do.

So, the split window was part of it, and it was something about drag and drop abilities that certainly was not intuitive to me (but 9 years ago and hard to remember the details), but you have to bear in mind that I have developed the workflow in my librarians since 2001 when I released the first version of ex.factory for the Yamaha EX5, so I wanted something that works like that, and I am of course biased towards that. Smile

I also think my tree view is quite unique in the way you can drill down to a lower level than, for example, a Program, and drag and drop at that level. I use that quite a lot if there are elements of data I wish to reuse

I am not dissing PCG Tools, as Michel has developed a great free tool that targets any PCG format (which i do not), but it was just was not for me, like some people like music that I detest and vice versa. And choice, I think is a good thing. Smile

I guess also (as an idiot who can't sit still!) that still I enjoy the logical intellectual programming challenge to exercise the brain, so I do not need much of an excuse to "roll my own", especially when I have the general code base to start with. Smile

I am trying to write less software these days and do more music, but so far the only librarian where I do not wish to roll my own has been my Korg Wavestate. It's software feels right and intuitive and does what I want. But, I think that in part is due to the Wavestate storage being quite different to traditional synths.

I have a Prophet X which comes with the sound tower librarian. I lasted two days with that librarian before I felt the need to do my own (took a week). I also have a Novation Summit, and have been using Novation Components librarian for the past two years, but I am at the point where I feel the need to do my own to manage what I have accumulated, which will be my Christmas project..... once I get montage.factory released (only 5 years in the making....)

I'll be honest, and say that kronos.factory has not been one of my big sellers (those remain ex.factory and sy.factory), possibly because PCG Tools is an established free alternative, but I write first and foremost to meet my needs, and sales are a bonus.

I guess I'll also answer the rhetorical question of: why do I charge, when some people are far more altruistic and give away for free?

Simply because a lot of effort goes into coding, and also development costs money. Most software needed for development is now on a subscription model, and the need for paid software seems to be increasing. I have to pay annual fees for
  • The development environment (there are free ones, but the paid ones are better)
  • The binary file editor I used to decode the file formats
  • To notarize software for OSX (to get past Gatekeeper), you need a paid for Apple Developer Subscription, and, when I get around to it, that is also true for Windows code signing (on my roadmap now OS X notarizaton is working)
  • Web hosting fees for te website
  • The license system I use also requires a subscription, but of course my decision to charge brings that one into play
  • Etc.

If you look at something like kronos.factory, that took me over an elapsed time over four years to write. montage.factory has taken me five years. Because these synths have really complex file formats that I want to ensure I understand as best I can. Obviously, I am not full time on developing them as I do this as a (very serious) hobby in my spare time, and also like to make music as well! But even so, a lot of hours go into them.

So, the reality is that I don't even cover my costs to develop (and well in the red if I actually accounted for my hours as well as if they were chargeable!), but it's nice to get some money towards offsetting the outgoing costs every year. And I do not think I charge a lot for what is a perpetual license (I do not charge for updates) for what I think is close to commercial quality software.

Another difference is that the use of Java makes the apps cross platform: Windows, OS X and Linux at least, but any platform that supports the Java run time.

Hope that explanation helps. The choice is of course yours Smile

My Echoes Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: