Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does the M3 hold up in 2022?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: How does the M3 hold up in 2022? Reply with quote

Hey! I've had a M3 73 since forever, but it's been collecting dust for years (not really, it's safely stored in a bag of course). I used it for band gigs etc., and didn't really bother with its actual functions and potential beyond picking a sound and play. That's what I wanna do going forward, so I'm wondering how an "older" workstation like the M3 holds up against newer models? Both in a live setting and as a studio device. Any reason why an upgrade should be considered?

Also, any tips for cleaning it? Has some candle wax spills etc.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M3 is still pretty good, provided it plays and functions well. I saw an M3 still being used by Billy Ocean's keyboardist recently.

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an M3-73 with EXB-RADIAS, RADIAS-R, and EXB-M256 and an M50-73. The original plan was to keep the M3 at home and gig the M50. I ended up selling the M3-R and all the expansions about a year or so later and kept the M50. I still gig it and take it to all practices. I would say I easily got my money's worth out of it. If my M50 were to die I'd probably pick up another (or maybe an M3) so the M3 IMHO is still as valuable today as it was then.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. Hands down. No questions asked. It definitely is.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Vangelismusic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell my M3, one of the best sounds and looks very unique keyboard, definite keeper.
michelet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO M3 EXP with Radias board and memory expansion is still a wonderful workstation, even though it goes back to 2007.
I have been using Korg synthesizers since 1982, Poly61. Then I moved to M1REX, T1, Wavestation A/D, 03R/W. In my actual rig there are 2 Wavestation A/D, Triton Rack + MOSS board and M3 EXP with Radias board and memory expansion (I don't consider the entire Korg legacy collection analog and digital, Triton Extreme etc.)
As I said before M3EXP still amazes me for its sound quality, KARMA algorithms, internal sequencer and sampler. I'm sorry not to have bought it before.
gurn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How does the M3 hold up in 2022? Reply with quote

Khin wrote:
Hey! I've had a M3 73 since forever, but it's been collecting dust for years (not really, it's safely stored in a bag of course). I used it for band gigs etc., and didn't really bother with its actual functions and potential beyond picking a sound and play. That's what I wanna do going forward, so I'm wondering how an "older" workstation like the M3 holds up against newer models? Both in a live setting and as a studio device. Any reason why an upgrade should be considered?

Also, any tips for cleaning it? Has some candle wax spills etc.

How does it hold up in 2024?

I sold a Roland FA-07 this week. Buyer came over to play it. I turned it on w/ my M3-88. I pulled up a Jazz combi on the M3.

I showed him how the pads worked. Play the pads w/ 1 finger, any order. Play a solo on Roland. He had split organ & piano.

Then, I started switching Karma scenes at random, while he was jamming.

Buyer was amazed. Roland had dazzling sounds, but he'd never seen anything like the pads & Karma.

Do I want to sell the M3 too? How much?

Nope.

I think the M3 is Korg's most intuitive workstation - because of the pads & the sophisticated Karma switching interface.

Unfortunately, it had a run of bad touch screens. (I'm on my 3rd module)

I'd never gig w/ it. But my M3-88 & the pads are the heart of my studio.

I'm finally buying a Kronos (Kronos 88 first run). I ordered a Nanopad 2.
I doubt it will be integrated as beautifully as the M3 pads though.

Korg Kronos-88, Korg M3-88, Kawai K1r (alive), K-1 (dead)

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow, Fender Jazzmaster, 2015 Gibson Les Paul Special, acoustics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: