Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 Chassis Mechanical Design Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 Chassis Mechanical Design Question Reply with quote

This is just out of curiosity, but I’ve been wondering about this for a while (and I can’t find a service manual for the K2 any where):

Why is the front panel on the Kronos 2 split into two halves, separated by a large plastic surround, compared to the Kronos 1 which is one single large piece of aluminium?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One indirect answer to your question is in the service manuals. Depending on the version you have (52 or 74 pages PDF), it is at page 52 or 66 respectively. See the screen hood spacer procedure. The 88-key Kronos models in particular are especially heavy and despite being very well-built, their long assembly can slightly bend depending how they are held when moved/transported around.

To counter the occasional above mentioned screen "hood" problem, the K2 structural integrity is improved quite a bit compared to the earlier models. Amongst other things, there are additional metal plates which act as double layers right under the front panel for critical PCBs like the PSU, MOBO and so on. In earlier Kronos models, they are held by narrow metal supports instead and the whole assembly is more prone to torsion when the unit is moved, etc. In a K2-88, the possible millimeter or so of structural torsion near the center of the unit (where the LCD also happens to be) which can happen when moving the unit is absorbed by those long metal plates instead of being transferred directly to the LCD plastic surround.

Also, in the K2 models, the LCD holder design differs and is more solid compared to what you can see in the service manual. I carefully studied the Kronos structure for weeks before attempting my adjustable angle LCD mod. I especially wanted to make sure my K2 structural integrity would not be affected. After several tests, I discovered it would be just fine.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I was concerned that it was a cost reduction measure more than a structural decision - great to hear that’s not the case. I was not a huge fan of the mechanical design of the Kronos 1 61 Key, so was curious about what had changed with V2.

Is there a copy of the Kronos V2 service manual floating around somewhere? I’ve just received a new PSU to go in my 10 month old Kronos 2 88 to (hopefully) resolve the issues I’m having with PSU noise…

Thanks again!

Lee
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Is there a copy of the Kronos V2 service manual floating around somewhere? I’ve just received a new PSU to go in my 10 month old Kronos 2 88 to (hopefully) resolve the issues I’m having with PSU noise…

Thanks again!

Lee

You are welcome ! Cool I never saw a K2 service manual, I would for sure like to get one too if ever it exists.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be found in the Facebook group Kronos Enthusiast Workshops under the file section Not sure if this link will work:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/346046292093241?view=files&eav=AfYwrvuLqXD_qI6ZkQI9qZNrEegm79EiRaWBUb_pxwZpDfDKfI9BmQNQI8VNAO9jkoE&paipv=0

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
They can be found in the Facebook group Kronos Enthusiast Workshops under the file section Not sure if this link will work:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/346046292093241?view=files&eav=AfYwrvuLqXD_qI6ZkQI9qZNrEegm79EiRaWBUb_pxwZpDfDKfI9BmQNQI8VNAO9jkoE&paipv=0

Nope, you'll need to join the group first. Any way you could extract this file and share?
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, didn't think of that...

So I am busy uploading the 2 files that I have here:

[url]https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkLJVqln27yVgX8d9GrNDaX50tWa[/url]

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
Alright, didn't think of that...

So I am busy uploading the 2 files that I have here:

[url]https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkLJVqln27yVgX8d9GrNDaX50tWa[/url]

Thank you. It appears these are for the original and X Kronos, and the V2 appears to be the manual version and not Kronos V2. Nonetheless, these are very helpful and still applicable. Thanks again.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The admin, "Francis V. Capistrano" of that Facebook group stated this when trying to join the group:

"Accounts without profile pictures are less likely to be authentic. Don't you have a face? What hell's wrong with you?"

Clearly, he gets his jollies looking at people's faces that joins his club. Guess it is his screening mechanism for potential mates. 🤡
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same response, thought not immediately which suggests there is still some manual screening going on.

Well, f*ck Facebook and the closed web.

I don’t have a Facebook profile picture because the only thing I use Facebook for is Marketplace.

Ironically, I guess that means I now need to establish a fake Facebook account with a fake profile image to gain access.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Well, f*ck Facebook

+100 Mr. Green
I doubt I will ever have a Facebook account either. Cop Cop Cop
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I got the same response, thought not immediately which suggests there is still some manual screening going on.

Well, f*ck Facebook and the closed web.

I don’t have a Facebook profile picture because the only thing I use Facebook for is Marketplace.

Ironically, I guess that means I now need to establish a fake Facebook account with a fake profile image to gain access.

Pretty sure it isn't facebook, it's that perverted fascist, "Francis V. Capistrano"
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with him, Francis has been a good and helpful guy.
Name-calling reflects poorly on you.
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too exited about getting to the Facebook group file section. The file there is the same KRONOS-Service-Manual-v2.0-2012.pdf that has been around for 10 years.

It is the second version of the Kronos 1 Service Manual that was updated for the Kronos X in 2012. It is not the Kronos 2 Service Manual.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
In my experience with him, Francis has been a good and helpful guy.
Name-calling reflects poorly on you.

Why he/she being like that then if he/she is helpful? Some contradiction going on here.

Definition of ‘Helpfull’

“giving or ready to give help.
"people are friendly and helpful"”

Francis: “ Don't you have a face? What hell's wrong with you?"

Yea, that sounds, “Helphul” and non-contradictory to your side of the story and reflects positive onto your character witness of the perpetrator. Unless you are him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: