Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as an external instrument

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Kronos as an external instrument Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up my Kronos as an external instrument in Cubase 11. I've already set it up as a VST and Cubase shows the MIDI input is working, but I'm not hearing anything back. Currently, I have it connected via MIDI in and out to my Focusrite 6i6. Local control is off. I tried following instructions from user QuiRobinez on this very topic, but still, nothing. Not entirely sure what's going on or if I screwed something up. Any help here is greatly appreciated!
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Daniel.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have it set up as a vst. I typically just route midi in and midi out on the track to the Kronos.

There's a different thing you can do in Cubase setting something up as an external unit in order to get delay compensation, is that what you mean?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have audio connections going into your interface? MIDI does not carry audio information if you're using 5 pin MIDI DIN.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two videos are what I've used so far to try and get my Kronos to work as an external instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDwJrBqZts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S63n3V71Y

Apparently, this is a super simple process, but something has gone all screwy here. I still have MIDI in and out from the Kronos to my interface and I tried connecting left and right TRS cables for audio, but still, nothing.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For MIDI I use USB from my Kronos to my 2015 MacBook Pro. For audio I use the Kronos L&R balanced outputs to 2 input channels a Behringer XAir 18. The XAir is my audio interface.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit more digging, and apparently, I need the Steinberg XML file for the Kronos to work in Cubase. I've also read that Korg gives these files on those discs that came with the Kronos. I'll look through those files and see what's on there.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be the same as Ronnfigg's. If you only have the Kronos MIDI cables connected to your Focusrite, and the stereo output of the Kronos is not connected to the Focusrite, there's no way for the keyboard's audio to make it back to Cubase.

I have the Kronos connected via USB. I followed the instructions for the external instrument, and on the MIDI device that I created, I selected KRONOS, which is how the USB connection displays the keyboard. I recorded some notes, played back, and heard the audio.

If you don't want to use USB and prefer to use the 5 pin MIDI cables, then in addition to that you'll need to connect the stereo L/R of the Kronos to a couple of inputs on the Focusrite. In the Cubase control panel, create a Stereo input, and assign the L/R to the two Focusrite inputs that the Kronos is connected to. Name it Kronos In. Then in your MIDI device, for the output select Kronos In (where I selected the USB Kronos).

Give that a try and let us know how it goes for you.

Also, regarding the XML file - that's not required for audio. That's just so you can see all your Kronos patches in Cubase.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: