Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three finger solo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Three finger solo Reply with quote

This isn't specific to the Kronos so I hope it's not considered OT, but I've got a bunch of guys here who are helpful and have way more experience than me, so I thought I'd ask.

They teach scales with all five fingers. And yet, whether it's bar bands or rock stars, I almost never see people using this technique when soloing. It's not uncommon to see someone playing a three octave run using only the thumb and two fingers. Sometimes even just the thumb and index finger.

Is there a reason for using this technique instead of all five fingers as it's taught in scales?

If this is a dumb question, remember, I'm not really a keyboard player. I'm just a guitarist who's pretending to play keys.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
CliveJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s down to how the shape of the run fits your fingers. Sometimes it’s more comfortable and faster to use three fingers.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Clive.

I'm trying to go about things the right way and wasn't sure if that was "cheating" or not.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the long run it is much better to practice and gain dexterity and strength in all your fingers. But whatever works for you.

The late keyboard hero Keith Emerson was reduced to playing with just his thumb and two fingers later in his life due to some degenerative neuro-motor disorder. It really bummed him out, to put it mildly.

If you really want to learn to use your fingers "properly," do these exercises for like 6 hours a day. In 10 years you'll be a virtuoso! https://www.hanon-online.com/
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to date a girl who introduced me to the Hanon book. At the time I found her far more interesting than the exercises, but history has shown that a different set of priorities might have resulted in more lasting benefits.

And cool that they're online, thanks for the link!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She will be impressed with your digital dexterity in more ways than one. My wife calls them "piano fingers."
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motivation to practice!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
AdamT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of piano books for techniques you can practice. Hanon is good but don’t let that be the only one. You have to be careful and do them slow at first and then build up speed which is the basis of Hanon and most all technique books. I’ve seen professional players use 2,3 and 4 finger for runs and that’s fine cause it does depend upon what you are playing and how it’s constructed and comfortable to you. It’s best to have a foundation and strength in all your fingers though in the long run. Slow practice at first and increase when you feel you are ready without any mistakes being made. You’ll get there faster than 10 years if you are diligent in your practice. People learn at adapt at different rates too.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching your fingers new tricks (after all these years). Sometimes a weakness is highlighted because of what you're trying to play. This came up for me recently when I needed to hold down a bass note C# with my left hand pinky (5) while playing 16th notes with my ring finger (4) on the E above it. It was little more difficult than I expected.

Try repeatedly playing the same note as fast as you can with a single finger without moving the rest of your hand. And even more difficult, try repeatedly playing the same note as fast as you can while holding down notes on all other fingers. It's a good exercise to isolate the muscles for each finger. The ring fingers in particular get an unexpected workout!
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

I know you're giving me good advice because my fingers get sore just reading it.

Fortunately I'm not in any hurry since I don't gig anymore, so there's no rush for me to have virtuoso chops (and musically I'm a simple creature anyway). Just want to make friends with the instrument so I can do whatever comes to mind.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be hard to re-train your fingers once you've gotten into a habit of playing a part a certain way. But comes a time when you might want to extend that quick riff up another octave, and you have to figure out how to cross over without getting your fingers tangled up. Exercising all 5 fingers is never a bad thing. It is good to have your ring and pinky fingers behave when you need/want them to.

This lady could give all a few lessons.

ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow.

I've been fooling around with Linus and Lucy. If this is where cartoons lead, I'm gonna need more fingers...
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that static electricity generated by her fingers goes straight through to her hair! That's a great performance and composition - a composition doubling as a challenging etude.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
I've been fooling around with Linus and Lucy.

I've been brushing up on that one, as well, since I've got a couple of holiday gigs coming up.

And speaking of finger exercises, this riff near the end is a very good exercise. I do it a little differently than this, but it gives my pinky a good workout.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. I've been playing guitar since '73, so the left hand part came more easily than the right, which means the right hand was also a good finger exercise.

I play almost no cover songs on keyboards since I spent so many years in bar bands. Mostly I work on songwriting for my own enjoyment. However, I've always loved the lighthearted nature of Linus and Lucy and just couldn't resist.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: