Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any opinions on EXs321 Xpansions for Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Any opinions on EXs321 Xpansions for Kronos? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this? Is it worth $100?

For most long time Kronos owners, the cost is the sum of sales price plus the hours of work locating programs that can be deleted to make room for the new ones.....
jackh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Any opinions on EXs321 Xpansions for Kronos? Reply with quote

All programs have Knob, SW1/2, Ribbon, JS, Drum Tracks, and KARMA assignments (some with KARMA Wavesequencing).
JY-Y LFOs sync to MIDI clock.
$0.40 per program.
Listen to the demos:
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Korg%20EXs321
Download and try the trial version:
https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/kronos-nautilus/exs321.html
timg11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I purchased these and I'm trying them out.

First I had to update to 3.1.4 per the instructions. That nearly gave me a heart attack as I got "system startup failed" three times in a row after applying the update. Then it booted up and everything seems fine.

Installing the EXs failed when installing from a folder on the internal SSD, and it failed again from the first USB drive I tried installing it from. It finally installed successfully from a different USB drive.

I got it authorized after the painstaking process of typing in the long code on the touchscreen.

Then I wanted to add it to the KSC auto-load. Where is the KSC? I had to hunt around the file system and finally found it had been placed in /Korg Options/EXs321 Expansions.

Then I started to audition the programs (the set does not include any combis) by opening the PCG in the Disk / Load / Open, open, open to drill down into the program banks in the PCG. (I have not started the many hours of work finding what programs I can delete to make room for any of these I want to add)

Some of them sounded strange, then I realized they used wavesequences which needed to be loaded. I opened my Kronos full backup PCG in PCGtools and verified the U-C wavesequence bank was unused, and then loaded them from the ESx321 PCG.

Then I auditioned the programs one by one. Definitely not blown away, but there are some good programs there. Like many sound sets, a lot of groups of programs that are just small tweaks from each other. Too many "Tune Up" programs - not sure the point of those. I'm not interested in EFX and Sci-Fi atmos. I look for spacious pads, smooth leads, and complex ambient pianos.

It seems like a lot of these are trying to create complex sounds using programs rather than the way I have done for years layering with Combis. Maybe these can help save polyphony?

The one that convinced me in the demos was the "Candle Light" demo with the EP sound. I have not found that yet. No program in the PCG with "candle". The EP's I find are not the same. Does anyone know if there published notes on the demos on soundcloud on what programs were used?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
The one that convinced me in the demos was the "Candle Light" demo with the EP sound. I have not found that yet. No program in the PCG with "candle". The EP's I find are not the same. Does anyone know if there published notes on the demos on soundcloud on what programs were used?

Didn't find any info about that. It is rather strange that the creator of this library doesn't mention what it played on the excerpt, especially since no program exists with the same name as the demo.

For the demo you mention, personally on my Kronos I would tweak a very dark and blue Rhodes sound using the Tine EP1 sample set with effects adjusted to taste.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sound you mentioned is G 009 Ethereal Suitcase SW1/2 or OSC 2 from G 005 Moonlight Piano.
Also if you want, try to ask the owner :
https://www.pluginguru.com/contact/
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dan Stesco, I think you're right that it is Ethereal Suitcase, but it sounds much better on the demo. Maybe plugins and external processing? I asked PluginGuru for any insights.

I've selected about 40 programs out of the EXs321 set and merged them into my Kronos after deleting other programs to make room. Now that they are loaded in a regular program bank (rather than auditioning from the PCG) I can play with Karma and see what other capabilities are present.

On Radient Pasture, I get the "Samples Not Loaded" message. The EXs installed properly, and is in my KSC auto-load. Do you know who created that one?
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where is the problem, maybe should investigate together on Zoom or Skype. Usually "Sample Not Loaded" is a message that coming when some programs looking for a not loaded data. Check the program OSC also the Drum Track. Maybe your program make reference to a drum program that not exist in a correct bank. Instead of the drum program, it can be another program from an old library, which is not loaded. Contact me on contact@danstesco.ro and will investigate together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: