Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to remove memory protection?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to remove memory protection? Reply with quote

When I want to change keyboard set (4 buttons) it says Memory Protected in factory styles.
Where I can remove the memory protect?[/img]
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to remove memory protection? Reply with quote

Bescki wrote:
When I want to change keyboard set (4 buttons) it says Memory Protected in factory styles.
Where I can remove the memory protect?

With Pa5x factory are elements that you can’t overwrite or modify.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to remove memory protection? Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Bescki wrote:
Where I can remove the memory protect?

With Pa5x factory are elements that you can’t overwrite or modify.

What? Why not? like all other pa series? for example, I want to remove acc5 or decrease volume and save the style preferences? Or want to change sts instruments, so it will be imposible from now?
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa5X OS do not allow anymore to edit and save factory resources (bad only for GM garbage resources).
You can only copy them in User Banks and edit whatever you like.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Pa5X OS do not allow anymore to edit and save factory resources

Another "nail in the PA5x coffin".
So this potentially leaves lots of wasted (locked up) space with all those resources/genres you don't want.

Seems more and more that the PA5x is an undesigned, untested downgrade.
I am moving further away from it now....

The update will answer a lot of questions.

P Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Pa5X OS do not allow anymore to edit and save factory resources (bad only for GM garbage resources).
You can only copy them in User Banks and edit whatever you like.

Nothing bad with that. All essential changes can be saved into Songbook.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

So this potentially leaves lots of wasted (locked up) space with all those resources/genres you don't want.

Pete , factory resources positions Sounds/Styles are just name indexes so if you overwrite those positions with custom ones
this won't save any memory space since you can never delete factory sample resources in any PaSeries !

Therefore the only gain would be to save User's space positions using factory ones especially for Sound Banks , since all others
(PAD,KBD SET, Syles) are unlimited in Pa5X.
The only valid problem is that if you use MID files you have to edit them to see better sounds than lacking GM Sound Bank
since you can't edit it anymore.

Songbook references is not an option for me since I do not ever use it and I want arranger to retain workstation abilities for
real time use in stage.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with Copying a Style to a User Bank and then modifying the Style there.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Pete , factory resources positions Sounds/Styles are just name indexes so if you overwrite those positions with custom ones
this won't save any memory space since you can never delete factory sample resources in any PaSeries !

Thanks Antony...
Sorry, my incredibly bad wording. I was meaning wasted BANKs and SLOTs being locked up with STYLEs and SOUNDs (not samples) you don't want.

Biggles wrote:
What is wrong with Copying a Style to a User Bank and then modifying the Style there.

Nothing at all. My point was regarding banks and slots being permanently locked (now for the first time in Korg arrangers). Can't understand the purpose of permanently locked factory BANK data Confused

Very Happy
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Can't understand the purpose of permanently locked factory BANK data

Concerning Styles , PAD & KBD SET that are probably your main interest , there is no limit , you can create as many User Banks
you like for first time in PaSeries , that many people have missed , so there is no meaning to save them in factory positions !
You can also name your User Banks and contents in multi-language form and with more letter characters , which is pretty nice !
SOUND banks are the real issue in that case , mainly for Sound creators and third-party sound developers ...

Dmkeys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:

What’s wrong is that it’s annoying. Not every PA owner uses just this keyboard for their gigs. For example, I do a lot of band work using other boards and only use the PA for certain types of solo engagements. So, I might go a month without playing any gigs on it, then use it for ten gigs in a row. And so, I prefer to have things be as simple and functional as possible.

When I come across a style I might use, but know that I will never use the factory sound set assigned to it at a gig, I’d prefer to change it in the factory style, where I will find it when I next look for that style, instead of needing to remember that I have a modified version elsewhere in the user banks. Same with the left-hand sounds/split (or not) defaults on the Keyboard sets.

The fact that I can work-around it is helpful, but not ideal for the way I work.
And, there’s no reason not to allow such global tweaks, as in the past.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree here.
The PA5x manual says:- "Factory: More than 600 Factory Styles, freely programmable"
Not strictly true or certainly misleading as the PA4x manual says the same.

Seems when selecting a STYLE you have "FACTORY, USER, FILE" tabs - bearing in mind that I do not own this keyboard yet, how many actual "USER" banks does the PA5X have? Nothing mentioned about these in the manual.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmkeys wrote:
Biggles wrote:

What’s wrong is that it’s annoying. Not every PA owner uses just this keyboard for their gigs. For example, I do a lot of band work using other boards and only use the PA for certain types of solo engagements. So, I might go a month without playing any gigs on it, then use it for ten gigs in a row. And so, I prefer to have things be as simple and functional as possible.

When I come across a style I might use, but know that I will never use the factory sound set assigned to it at a gig, I’d prefer to change it in the factory style, where I will find it when I next look for that style, instead of needing to remember that I have a modified version elsewhere in the user banks. Same with the left-hand sounds/split (or not) defaults on the Keyboard sets.

The fact that I can work-around it is helpful, but not ideal for the way I work.
And, there’s no reason not to allow such global tweaks, as in the past.

The only reason it was editable in the past was because the space was limited....
Now you have unlimited space so you can copy the ENTIRE factory to user and use them from there.
There is absolutely no need to save on top of the factory.
The save style button though should prompt to save in a user location if the style is factory cause i have had issues with that , editing a style for 30-40 minutes and then realizing i can't save because it wouldn't let me as it is a factory style...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
how many actual "USER" banks does the PA5X have? Nothing mentioned about these in the manual.

Pete , I have already mentioned that there is no limit of User Styles & KBD Set Banks !
You can create as many custom Banks you like containing any number of Styles & KBD Set , where you can name all in multi-language
with more letter characters and unlimited pages , nothing in common with older PaSeries.

Also you can use any media storage like USB thumb drive or internal mSDs and create for instance 10 different modified groups of 600
factory styles or anything else you like and directly play them from there ...
Its just like your PC file explorer , you can create folders and save inside unlimited resources.

User Sound Banks architecture is exactly as in Pa4X , 6 Sound Banks / 3 DKs Banks though.

BTW as musiccankill mentioned , first save a factory style in user position and then try to edit it , obviously a saving bug
do not allow you to save any edited factory resource.

Hope this helps

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antony

Yes, thanks - I understood that from your previous posts - was just curious about the actual number of USER STYLES banks (under the "USER" tab heading)

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: