Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI CC for Level, Mute on ES2...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knobfun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: MIDI CC for Level, Mute on ES2...? Reply with quote

Korg Electribe Sampler MIDI Implementation...

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/368/2665/

I'm interested in what Continuous Controller numbers are assigned for Level, and Mute (and Solo, if possible). I think this should be in "2. Recognized Receive Data: 2-1 Channel Messages," but I don't see Level, Mute, or Solo.

Anyone know what CC's these are? If they aren't listed in the MIDI Spec, is there a way to monitor the MIDI data when triggering Mute on the Electribe, for example, and determining the CC from that...?

For comparison, the MIDI Spec chart for Elektron Model:Samples indicates track level (CC: 95) and Mute (CC: 94). Simple and clear. This works with a MIDI controller easily.

My goal is to use a midi controller w/ the ES2, and assign a fader to control Level, and a button to trigger Mute (so one button press, instead of the two-button combination required on the Electribe itself).
knobfun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, someone in the Facebook group said Decay is CC:72, so if that's the case, then according to the ES2 MIDI chart, the CC for Level ("Amp Level") should be 07. Amp Pan should be 10. Filter Cutoff, which some people might like, is 74. (So CC's are numbers listed in the "Second [D]" column.). I'll test this and try to confirm.

There isn't a Mute listed (that I can see), so to assign a button on a controller to Mute, a work around may be needed... like to accomplish the On-Off toggle for a button, you assign Level and use numbers in/out of the 0-127 range (like 128 for OFF...?); I've seen someone do this on Youtube but will have to find it again.

Of course any MIDI controller should work; I'm trying to use a Korg Nanokontrol2 (1 fader, 1 knob, 3 buttons assignable to each MIDI channel). Here's one video that shows setting up the Nanokontrol2 with the Korg Editor software, in "CC Mode" (rather than a DAW mode)... (See video at 13:44...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsogrggvzRM

(For setting up the Nanokontrol2 in CC Mode--the mode for using it connected to a MIDI host and a synth like the Electribe2S--see video at 4:16...)
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI CC for Level, Mute on ES2...? Reply with quote

knobfun wrote:
Anyone know what CC's these are? If they aren't listed in the MIDI Spec, is there a way to monitor the MIDI data when triggering Mute on the Electribe, for example, and determining the CC from that...?

The MIDI Spec is all there is to it.
The electribe2/2S with factory firmware do not have a hidden MIDI implementation.
If the Tribe does not send or respond to it, it does not exist. It's not a General MIDI compatible device.

Mute On/Off can be simulated by sending channel volume CC 07 to 0/127.

That's called Amp Level in the MIDI Specs Channel Message section.

Code:
+--------+----------+-------------+------------------------------------------+-----+
| Status |  Second  |   Third     |      Description                         | ENA |
|  [Hex] | [H]  [D] |  [H]   [D]  |                                          |     |
+--------+----------+-------------+------------------------------------------+-----+
|   8n   | kk  (kk) | 40    (64)  | Note Off                                 |  S  |
|   9n   | kk  (kk) | vv    (vv)  | Note On  vv=1~127                        |  S  |
|   Bn   | 00  (00) | mm    (mm)  | Bank Select (MSB)                      *6|  P  |
|   Bn   | 07  (07) | vv    (vv)  | Amp Level                            *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 0A  (10) | vv    (vv)  | Amp Pan                              *7-2|  S  |
|   Bn   | 20  (32) | bb    (vv)  | Bank Select(LSB)                       *6|  P  |
|   Bn   | 47  (71) | vv    (vv)  | Filter Resonance                     *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 48  (72) | vv    (vv)  | EG Decay/Release                     *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 49  (73) | vv    (vv)  | EG Attack                            *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 4A  (74) | vv    (vv)  | Filter Cutoff                        *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 50  (80) | vv    (bb)  | Osc Pitch                            *7-3|  S  |
|   Bn   | 51  (81) | vv    (vv)  | Osc Glide                            *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 52  (82) | vv    (vv)  | Osc Edit                             *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 53  (83) | vv    (vv)  | Filter EG Int.                       *7-3|  S  |
|   Bn   | 55  (85) | vv    (vv)  | Modulation Depth                     *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 56  (86) | vv    (vv)  | Modulation Speed                     *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 57  (87) | vv    (vv)  | Insert Fx Edit                       *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 66 (102) | vv    (vv)  | Master Fx X                          *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 67 (103) | vv    (vv)  | Master Fx Y                          *7-1|  S  |
|   Bn   | 68 (104) | vv    (vv)  | Insert Fx Off/On                     *7-4|  S  |
|   Bn   | 69 (105) | vv    (vv)  | MFX Send Off/On                      *7-4|  S  |
|   Bn   | 6A (106) | vv    (vv)  | Master Fx Off/On                     *7-4|  S  |
|   Bn   | 78 (120) | vv    (vv)  | All Sound Off                            |  A  |
|   Bn   | 79 (121) | vv    (vv)  | Reset All Controllers                    |  A  |
|   Bn   | 7B (123) | vv    (vv)  | All Note Off                             |  A  |
|   Cn   | pp  (pp) | --    (--)  | Program Change                         *6|  P  |

Solo would require somme programming on an evolved MIDI software or controller, that could send 15 x CC 07 messages with a 00 value to all the channels except the one you want to solo.
That's something any decent DAW can do, or a programmable hardware MIDI controller (perhaps with a tad of LUA scripting).

Unless you ask some extra CC or SysEx to be supported by Hacktribe.
I.e direct RAM access to the current pattern parameters to edit those Mutes or status, or anything else that's stored in the pattern data structure (see *.e2spat files).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: