Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converted Oriental PA4X styles?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dmkeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Converted Oriental PA4X styles? Reply with quote

So, I've successfully managed to export all of the PA4X styles from my PA4X Oriental and import them into my PA5X. However, the Oriental styles play without drums, and I don't seem to be able to assign an internal drum kit to play those patterns either. Is this possible or is there some sort of copy/protection that prevents porting these to a different board? Does anyone here have thoughts/experience with this? Thank you!
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oriental styles of pa4x use the LOCAL back sounds of PA4X ORIENTAL keyboard variant which is exclusive to that keyboard.
That means that is has extra factory PCM that is not included in any other (at least non oriental) korg keyboard.
As a result , you will have to replace those sounds with something else to be able to use these styles.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Dmkeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my post wasn't clear, but when I do that and choose a different drum set on the PA5X, I still don't get any drum sounds. Is this a PA5X bug, or some sort of "copy protection" on the Oriental styles?
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry!
I misinterpreted your question!
I m not sure there is any kind of such protection.
My guess is that it would be for the entire style not just the drums if there was such a thing.
PM me one of these styles if you wish (the original 4x ones not the converted) and i can take a look at it!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
do the patterns actually exist, ie have you checked them in event list edit?

If they do, did you try changing kits in event list?

( haven’t tried doing any style editing yet, so hopefully above is something that does work ok currently)

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Dmkeys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
Hi,

( haven’t tried doing any style editing yet, so hopefully above is something that does work ok currently)

OK, so I went into rec/edit, and when I change sounds there, it does take effect. However, no matter which sets I choose (there are two drum/percussion tracks) the sounds are wrong, so I assume there's some sort of mapping difference in terms of which sounds are set to which notes. is there an easy way of either determining what those are or of swapping in another kit without having to do extensive re-programming, as it were?
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmkeys wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:
Hi,

OK, so I went into rec/edit, and when I change sounds there, it does take effect. However, no matter which sets I choose (there are two drum/percussion tracks) the sounds are wrong, so I assume there's some sort of mapping difference in terms of which sounds are set to which notes. is there an easy way of either determining what those are or of swapping in another kit without having to do extensive re-programming, as it were?

Hi, unfortunately I thought that might be the case.
What I used to have to do for my Yamaha to Pa800 style conversions was remap some of the drum kits to XG mapping and save them as user kits. (The xg drum kits became available on PA3X onwards.)
Don’t know if there’s any other way of doing it, but, I worked out which kits were needed, picked the closest one to it in the PA800, and altered the drums to suit. From gm mapping to xg wasn’t that huge a difference still takes a bit of time though.
At first I used to event list edit the drum tracks themselves in the style conversion, till it finally dawned on me it might actually be quicker to create a drum kit. Haha. That way I could use it for multiple styles, instead of doing the same thing over and over.

I just checked thru the drum mapping in the pa800 manual, and the psr manual, and worked out the drums that had to be altered.

You’d need to check your oriental mapped drums vs Korg drums and hopefully all exist. Also check which kits are actually used in the styles you use. Why do kits for styles you may not use.
Unfortunately I don’t know anything about the oriental korgs.

Hopefully someone else may know of an easier way.

Good luck.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: