Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa5x Screen Ghost Touch Problem.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Pa5x Screen Ghost Touch Problem. Reply with quote

Hi. I have 2 Pa5x and both having ghost touch screen problem like in this video. Has anyone had the same problem?

https://youtu.be/LWva30zh_bk
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your other hand touch a (not painted) metal piece of the 5x (best test would be to touch the metal of an audio (TS/TRS) cable plugged on the back) and touch the screen again which touching the metal part (effectively grounding yourself to the same ground)...
I have seen these issues on pa700/1000/4x when the ground on the specific place is not good enough..

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
With your other hand touch a (not painted) metal piece of the 5x (best test would be to touch the metal of an audio (TS/TRS) cable plugged on the back) and touch the screen again which touching the metal part (effectively grounding yourself to the same ground)...
I have seen these issues on pa700/1000/4x when the ground on the specific place is not good enough..

Thanks! Yes, when i touch metal piece of the 5x and my other hand touch the screen every thing work fine.
sagar ahuja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa5x Screen Ghost Touch Problem. Reply with quote

dtastudio2 wrote:
Hi. I have 2 Pa5x and both having ghost touch screen problem like in this video. Has anyone had the same problem?

https://youtu.be/LWva30zh_bk

Same with me, I bought 2 pa5x and had the same issues on both, eventually I returned both and got a refund. However It took around 3 months to process everything. But thanks to my dealer
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtastudio2 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:

Thanks! Yes, when i touch metal piece of the 5x and my other hand touch the screen every thing work fine.

So it is a power grounding issue as has happen on previous gen to some users.
The only thing you can do to the places that this happens is to ground yourself too.( i wouldn't suggest removing the ground from the keyboard although it should fix the issue if the mixer you have it connected too isn't grounded too )

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
dtastudio2 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:

So it is a power grounding issue as has happen on previous gen to some users.
The only thing you can do to the places that this happens is to ground yourself too.( i wouldn't suggest removing the ground from the keyboard although it should fix the issue if the mixer you have it connected too isn't grounded too )

So the problem is from the electrical, isn't my pa5x faulty?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electrically noisy environment can affect all touch screens to some extent. Some tend to be more susceptible than others, and environments vary, too. This wouldn't be reason enough to send the Pa5x back.

musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not a problem on your pa5x or a technical issue at all.
This is the only positive the older resistive touch panels (pa1x/500/800/2x/300/600/900/3xle/3x) have compared to the new capacitive ones(700/1000/4x/5x).
For me it hasn't been an issue but i have friends that had it happen in specific clubs and only in these so i found out that it was a grounding issue!

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtastudio2 wrote:

Pa5X has capacitance sensitive screen so any alternative surface current will flow from screen to your body if mains housing
grounding is insufficient and this will cause screen values to be altered according to frequency of AC current , nothing new !

You have two ways to explore when this phenomenon will happen for sure.
1) A practical way is to touch lightly the metallic chassis of device and discover the feeling of slight surface electric shock at your
hand's skin especially if you wear non plastic shoes.
2) Use a multi-meter at AC voltage selection , and measure voltage between your hand (better on a metallic object that you hold)
and negative point of rear audio jack of Pa5X or any other audio device in your studio. If you measure over 10 Volts AC then this
will happen to any capacitance screen you use and is connected to mains.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
dtastudio2 wrote:

Pa5X has capacitance sensitive screen so any alternative surface current will flow from screen to your body if mains housing
grounding is insufficient and this will cause screen values to be altered according to frequency of AC current , nothing new !

You have two ways to explore when this phenomenon will happen for sure.
1) A practical way is to touch lightly the metallic chassis of device and discover the feeling of slight surface electric shock at your
hand's skin especially if you wear non plastic shoes.
2) Use a multi-meter at AC voltage selection , and measure voltage between your hand (better on a metallic object that you hold)
and negative point of rear audio jack of Pa5X or any other audio device in your studio. If you measure over 10 Volts AC then this
will happen to any capacitance screen you use and is connected to mains.

Thanks. In my country electricity is usually not grounded. But there are two strange things:
1 is that my Pa5x works properly when I connect it to other electricity somewhere else outside my house, even though that electricity is not grounded.
2 is that it also works properly at my house during the night hours (usually after 11pm to 6am). After that time, the problem occurs again.
So sorry for my bad English!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a matter of environment humidity and of what kind of shoes you're wearing at that time since you create the ground link
when you touch your device.

You'd better connect your Keyboard & mixer/PA common grounding with an active plumber pipe at your home in order to
reduce this effect and be more safe in generall ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
It's a matter of environment humidity and of what kind of shoes you're wearing at that time since you create the ground link
when you touch your device.

You'd better connect your Keyboard & mixer/PA common grounding with an active plumber pipe at your home in order to
reduce this effect and be more safe in generall ...

Yes. I always take off my shoes before testing my Pa5x at my house and outside (at my neighbor's house), electricity in both places are not grounded. I feel the leakage current when touching the metal case of pa5x in both places but only at my house the ghost touch problem occurs, everything works fine at my neighbor's house. At my house the problem go away after 11pm and comes back around 6am the next morning. So the problem is with the humidity of my house environment and the electricity noise?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it might be something like a heating system, or a rogue lightbulb, causing sufficient interference to make the problem appear. If there is nothing in the house that comes on at 6am and off at 11pm, could it be something in a neighbouring property? Is there a neon sign nearby, that stays on between those hours?
dtastudio2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If there is nothing in the house that comes on at 6am and off at 11pm, could it be something in a neighbouring property? Is there a neon sign nearby, that stays on between those hours?

Yes. Nothing in my house that comes on at 6am and off at 11pm. I have tried using isolation transformer and power filter to fix electricity noise but still can't fix the touch problem.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtastudio2 wrote:
voip wrote:
If there is nothing in the house that comes on at 6am and off at 11pm, could it be something in a neighbouring property? Is there a neon sign nearby, that stays on between those hours?

Yes. Nothing in my house that comes on at 6am and off at 11pm. I have tried using isolation transformer and power filter to fix electricity noise but still can't fix the touch problem.

That is really strange! Could it be a road light outside?
If you have a UPS when it started, remove the mains from the UPS so the PA5X to be disconnected entirely from any external sources (keep only headphones (not connected to other devices like a mixer etc) and the power connection to the UPS) to see if it ll continue reacting like that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: