Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meaning of "EXP" in some Programs and Combis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Meaning of "EXP" in some Programs and Combis? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what "EXP" in the name of some Programs and Combis means?

There are about 30 such Programs and Combis in the Triton Extreme - almost all in the Orchestral category.

I thought maybe they had been specially programmed to make use of an Expression Pedal, but after looking into the details of a few of these Programs and Combis, I don't think that's the case.

I think it just means "expressive" - incorporating vibrato, tremolo, and programmed for use with modulation sources like joystick, aftertouch, ribbon, etc. - and/or in general a sound that is more emotive.
Tommyboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: exp = expressive Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're correct in assuming it means 'expressive'.
I did some research thinking maybe it meant 'expanded' as in from the orchestral expansion board from the Triton or something, but even on the expansion board itself some sounds have EXP in the name. So I think it is just 'expressive', probably taking advantage of aftertouch and velocity, ribbon cable, modulation, etc..
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. "Expressive" it is.

There are few preset combis (not named with EXP) that have Expr (CC#11) assigned to Knob #2. All it does is change the volume of the entire combi, which is the default function of the expression pedal when assigned in Global to control Expr CC#11. But I didn't find any preset programs or combis that are specifically programmed to use an expression pedal.

I did buy a new toy - the inexpensive Nektar NX-P expression pedal. It works fine on the Triton Extreme.

I was able to simply modify a combi of layered Piano+Strings to make use of the expression pedal to control the volume of just the strings (MENU>MIDI Filter>MIDI 4>uncheck Enable Foot Pedal/Switch for piano timbre). A new-to-me performance feature well worth $20!
Tommyboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: