Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splitted Sounds on external Keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernd Probst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Splitted Sounds on external Keyboard Reply with quote

I am currently rebuilding my set. I bought a Korg Kronos to replace the function of my Native Instruments Kore2 system. Apart from the Kronos, I also play a Kawai MP2 SE. Both keyboards are connected with Midi, Midi Out Kronos > Midi In Kawai and Midi Out Kawai > Midi In Kronos. The Kronos has Midi channel 2, the Kawai Midi channel 1. The Kronos acts as a master keyboard. I would like to play a sound from the Kronos on the lower octave on the Kawai and a piano from the Kawai as a split sound above.
I have created a combi in the Kronos where the Kronos sound is set to midichannel 1 in the first slot and can only be played on the first octave on the Kawai. This works perfectly.
I also programmed a second slot for the piano on the Kronos with EXT2 and the bank select / program change, also on midichannel 1. Then I wanted to programme a keyboard zone for the piano above the 1st octave. But this does not work, the piano can be heard over the whole range. With the NI Kore2 system, I had to switch the Kawai local off. When I do this in the new set with the Kronos, the Kawai remains mute.
I'm pretty sure this must work, but what else is missing?
davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Splitted Sounds on external Keyboard Reply with quote

Bernd Probst wrote:
I am currently rebuilding my set. I bought a Korg Kronos to replace the function of my Native Instruments Kore2 system. Apart from the Kronos, I also play a Kawai MP2 SE. Both keyboards are connected with Midi, Midi Out Kronos > Midi In Kawai and Midi Out Kawai > Midi In Kronos. The Kronos has Midi channel 2, the Kawai Midi channel 1. The Kronos acts as a master keyboard. I would like to play a sound from the Kronos on the lower octave on the Kawai and a piano from the Kawai as a split sound above.
I have created a combi in the Kronos where the Kronos sound is set to midichannel 1 in the first slot and can only be played on the first octave on the Kawai. This works perfectly.
I also programmed a second slot for the piano on the Kronos with EXT2 and the bank select / program change, also on midichannel 1. Then I wanted to programme a keyboard zone for the piano above the 1st octave. But this does not work, the piano can be heard over the whole range. With the NI Kore2 system, I had to switch the Kawai local off. When I do this in the new set with the Kronos, the Kawai remains mute.
I'm pretty sure this must work, but what else is missing?

Bernd

I experimented with something similar to this, and I too believe this can be done. I am trying to understand exactly how you wish to play this.

In your second slot are you looking to play everything from the (Master) keyboard - meaning play KRONOS on the KRONOS lower split, with the sounds of the Kawai piano on the KRONOS upper split?

I can experiment a bit today with two Korg keyboards, but need to make sure I understand what I'm trying to produce.

-- Dave

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Bernd Probst

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately it took a while until I could take care of it again.
The problem sounds more complicated than it is Wink.
I want to play on the Kawai. The sound is split: bottom octave sound from the Kronos (works), above split point piano sound from the Kawai (doesn't work because piano is not splitted and sounds over the whole keyboard).
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Kawai cannot split its internal sounds, the only thing I can think of that might work is to put the Kawai in Local Off mode (assuming it has that function) and do the Kawai split external to the board itself. I don't think the Kronos' MIDI functionality can do that (take MIDI In and re-reroute a portion of the range back to the MIDI Out), but that could be accomplished for example using an app on an iPhone or iPad. That could be one possible solution.
Bernd Probst

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott!
My previous computerised system could do that.
If the Kronos can't do that, it's not so problematic. I only need it for a handful of songs and the Kawai actually has good sounds itself, so I can solve this with the Kawai's own sounds. On the Kawai, up to 4 zones can be programmed in local on mode.
Thanks a lot for your support!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: