Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to worry? Access Denied while formatting SD.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scippie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Do I need to worry? Access Denied while formatting SD. Reply with quote

Korg Pa1000

I am practicing a lot with a singer lately and we record a lot with the built in mp3 recorder. But I noticed that in almost every recording, there is at least one hic-up in the sound, ruining a lot of the fun.

So I bought a high speed micro SD card for the expansion slot, hoping it will solve the hic-ups and it also gives me a lot more room for recordings. It's a 256GB Samsung PRO. At 35 euro, why would I go for less.

So I tried formatting it after insertion, but after waiting a while I get an Access Denied error and the keyboard completely hangs. I retried the format again after hard shutdown, same error.

So I simply tried it out and the SD card seems to work just fine, I can record to it. Just tested one simple recording and it works flawlessly, no hic-ups btw. (but as mentioned, I've had more recordings without hic-ups)

But I am worried. Will the SD fail at some unexpected point? Maybe during a recording or a performance? Or has everyone experienced these errors when formatting their micro SD and it still works fine?

Last edited by scippie on Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
hans1966

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi scippie,
I suggest you get a high speed USB 3.0 stick and record your performance directly there.

Cheers

I choose the Peace of God!
altemar mirandiña

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:54 am    Post subject: hi strange in the memory sd uuuff Reply with quote

I have something strange in the sd memory about writing the files and duplicating or deleting them in a strange way -but I see that in the USB everything is going very well -I think it is because the sd memory is perhaps of poor quality and I can not to know if it is a good brand or it is one of the pirates that exist in all of Latin America, in short, I suggest better to use a good quality USB to record mp3 etc etc ---
scippie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I really like the fact that it is 'internal'. An USB stick 'sticks out' unless you have a super small one.

Anyway, I have the micrso SD card now, I'll keep it there and I'll see what happens with it. It's a common feeling I have with the pa1000... "hmmm, it seems to work fine, let's hope it stays that way". Didn't expect this from Korg. I never had such issues with my Roland equipment.
scippie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, so I just took my mini 128GB USB stick and put it into the Korg to have it as a certainty.
The Korg could not read it, probably because it was formatted on NTFS, so I went to the Format function of the Korg and started formatting it.
Same problem: Access denied and the keyboard hangs.
scippie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it has to do with disks larger than 32GB. Even Windows won't format them on FAT32 (which is a bug, a FAT32 can be up to 2TB)

I used a third party tool to format both the micro SD as well as the USB on FAT32 which is what the Korg needs. I assume at least the first 32GB of file activity will work without issues, but I don't know what will happen after that Smile
AdeG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connected a 128Gb SSD via USB-sata converter to the USB port of my PA700 and no issues at all.
It was FAT32 formatted under Windows.
scippie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't seem to have any problems either when it is formatted on FAT32 under Windows.

But as I am quite aware of how operating systems and file systems work (I have developed a small operating system in the past), I don't know if it will work. Once the disk has been used for a while, it will pass the 32GB barrier, even if there is less than 32GB of files on there, and if the software in the Korg doesn’t know how to handle it, the disk will then start to fail to work and might even corrupt files that are already on there.

I hope that doesn’t happen of course, but I suggest taking backups of your files when using a disk bigger than 32GB. I copy every recording immediately to my Dropbox after a session with my singer.

For those interested: how can the disk (bigger than 32GB) pass the 32GB barrier if it doesn't have 32GB of data stored on it? Data is never placed sequentially on a disk. Only when recently formatted, it will be but after deleting and modifying files, these data blocks (pieces of your files) will move around on the disk. By not immediately overwriting blocks of data, you are for example able to undelete files on FAT32. This way, you could theoretically have 24GB of data in there with blocks at say position 50GB.

ps. Never had any hick-ups in the recording since I record to the SD/USB. I think it's sad that Korg gives us an internal disk too slow to record an MP3 which comes at about 40KB/sec. They must have really gone for some very cheap storage knowing that when the Pa1000 was released the worst disk speeds you could buy were in the 10 MB/sec range already. This explains why the system boots so slowly.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these - never had a problem:-

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-32GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077VXV323/ref=asc_df_B077VXV323/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341792317172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15797245564015644362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9070715&hvtargid=pla-426892234779&psc=1

They protrude far less than an audio/MIDI or other cable

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
scippie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I use these - never had a problem:-

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-32GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077VXV323/ref=asc_df_B077VXV323/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341792317172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15797245564015644362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9070715&hvtargid=pla-426892234779&psc=1

They protrude far less than an audio/MIDI or other cable

Very Happy

Ahhh, it is one of those, but in 128GB, that I am talking about.
They are good indeed!
I am thinking of buying one like yours now, just to make sure I 'never' have any issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: