Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally Tried The Nautilus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Finally Tried The Nautilus Reply with quote

Hello friends in Korg. I finally tried the Nautilus. I played both a weighted 88 key model and a light 61. I have been using Korg since the X3. Currently have an M3.

I was highly impressed with the quality of sounds. The Amped Rhodes patches for example, and that's one small thing, were exceptional. I didn't even get to try the analog modeling engine and other stuff thoroughly.

I was really let down by the absence of knobs and sliders for real time control of filter ADSR, amp envelope, and the absence of assignables like a ribbon controller and aftertouch. I am a live performer and do not enjoy diving into menus or sliding my finger on a touch screen to tweak these parameters. I vastly prefer the feel and response of actual, tactile controls in my hand.

Does this mean I need to aim for the Kronos? Tell me please what are your thoughts on the 73 model Kronos, esp the weighted keys. Is it a little heavy for synth / organ type playing?

Thank you for any replies.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both (K2 73 and a Nauty 61), and for me there’s no substitute for the Kronos. I have the Nauty on top and use it for a lot of the synth parts, but I still favor my K2 for organ due to the sliders.

The keybed is weighted, but the heavier action is lower and the upper ranges are lighter, so no problem for me playing organ and synth parts on it.

Hope this helps?
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

With the Nautilus I would get a nanopad or nano control 2 which will give you the real time controls. My main worry is that they keybed is probably not as good as the one in the Kronos/Oasys/Triton. Korg used to use Yamaha keybeds in their synth actions with aftertouch. I believe the Nautilus keybed has a cheaper synth action without aftertouch.

Cheers

Stuart

e-mail stuartpryer@gmail.com
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus uses the same keyboard action as the Kronos except that there is no aftertouch. It is a high-quality action. Korg has not used Yamaha's keyboard actions in quite some time.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not the same, unfortunately! Kronos61 has a better synthaction keyboard. I have played on both!

Regards,
dimitris
icecoldrocker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: The Only Three that Perplexes Me Reply with quote

No Ribbon Controller
No Vector Joystick
No AfterTouch

For which I hear makes the synth more affordable.

From Trinity Pro to M3 Exp'd those three can have you with a very unique sound. However my M3 is still powerful but it is like an old cruiser destroyer battleship. Mighty, but tends to misbehave Korg Starfleet abandoned support so I guess time to move on.
Korg Trinity Pro 🚀 🙂
Korg Triton Extreme 😮
Korg M3 🤔
Korg Nautilus 👑
Korg Gadget ❤️
Cubase Pro 🚀
Reason 11❤️🇸🇪
Logic Pro 💟
icecoldrocker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: The Only Three that Perplexes Me Reply with quote

No Ribbon Controller
No Vector Joystick
No AfterTouch

For which I hear makes the synth more affordable.

From Trinity Pro to M3 Exp'd those three can have you with a very unique sound. However my M3 is still powerful but it is like an old cruiser destroyer battleship. Mighty, but tends to misbehave Korg Starfleet abandoned support so I guess time to move on.
Korg Trinity Pro 🚀 🙂
Korg Triton Extreme 😮
Korg M3 🤔
Korg Nautilus 👑
Korg Gadget ❤️
Cubase Pro 🚀
Reason 11❤️🇸🇪
Logic Pro 💟
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Tried The Nautilus Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Hello friends in Korg. I finally tried the Nautilus. I played both a weighted 88 key model and a light 61. I have been using Korg since the X3. Currently have an M3.

I was highly impressed with the quality of sounds. The Amped Rhodes patches for example, and that's one small thing, were exceptional. I didn't even get to try the analog modeling engine and other stuff thoroughly.

I was really let down by the absence of knobs and sliders for real time control of filter ADSR, amp envelope, and the absence of assignables like a ribbon controller and aftertouch. I am a live performer and do not enjoy diving into menus or sliding my finger on a touch screen to tweak these parameters. I vastly prefer the feel and response of actual, tactile controls in my hand.

Does this mean I need to aim for the Kronos? Tell me please what are your thoughts on the 73 model Kronos, esp the weighted keys. Is it a little heavy for synth / organ type playing?

Thank you for any replies.

I have a video on YouTube about setting up the Korg Nano Kontrol to work with the Nautilus. It's a great alternative... Check it out..

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wanted to add to the thread. I had a Roland RD2000 which is a really nice piano, the longer I had it the more I enjoyed the V Piano sounds. The additional non piano sounds were a little disappointing, so I switched to a Nautilus 88. I've had no experience with the Kronos range whatsoever, so I bought the Nautilus with relatively little prior knowledge. My primary impression was how overwhelming the workstation is. It appears to have a very steep learning curve (especially for an amateur hobbyist in his late 60's). Coming from the RD2000 PHA50 action, the RH3 action is just fine. I can easily see why the RH3 action is on so many Korg keyboards (including digital pianos). Why change something that works well ? The build quality is exceptional, I actually have never owned an instrument so well made and with the wooden side panels is a beautiful piece of furniture. It goes through a pair of Adams T8V active speakers to give a nice full sound.

The sounds are absolutely breath-taking. I've never heard strings like it on a keyboard before. I did read that there are a lot of new samples added to the Nautilus so it's not exactly the same as a Kronos soundset. I did find some of the Acoustic guitar and E.Piano sounds personally lacking but was able to purchase some samples from the Korg Shop at a good discount, problem solved !! Something that did confuse me about the Nautilus is the very first SGX-2 Program (EXs301 German 2D Piano). For me personally, it's a really disappointing piano sound mixed with reverb and not something I would expect at the forefront. Fortunately the Italian piano is next and it's a really beautiful sample.

This afternoon, I spent nearly three hours playing around with the Oasys Piano Program adjusting settings, adding additional sounds, etc and just having a bit of fun playing different piano pieces, (give me this any day over the German 2D Piano). For a home player you cannot really ask more, the Nautilus just draws you in to playing. And that's just one sample taken from a 17 year old Korg Workstation.

I read these Forums daily and it prompts me to ask one question to Forum Members (who are mostly more knowledgeable than me, and undoubtedly better players than me). That question is, 'What is it that offends so many Kronos owners about the release of the Nautilus' ? After all It's only a cheaper 'Kronos Lite' that the less well off (like me) can afford. There are genuinely quite a few Forum Members that react negatively when discussing the Nautilus.

If you are in the market for a Nautilus, make sure you use Youtube for all the tutorial videos. I even sit with a notepad looking at demo's so I can write down the Programs and Combinations used. There are 'hints and tips' videos also that are created by Korg USA, Korg Australia and Korg U.K. that are well worth a watch. Check out Julius De Berry video tutorials, Woody Pianoshack videos and Narfsounds videos. The Korg Shop also has sales twice a year with the big one (normally 50%) coming up around November/December.

I have not delved much further into the workings of the Nautilus apart from creating Combinations, and looking at the additional page settings (e.q. effects, etc) so maybe I have covered 10% of it, so there is plenty more to learn. The main problem I have is getting distracted and engrossed in playing once I get some good sounds loaded !!
For me personally, I think the Nautilus 88 is a brilliant all round Workstation and I'm so pleased I got it.
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: