Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another startup failure thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjfox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your helpful pics and suggestions. The small vertical PC that connects to the MOBO appears solid and functional, however I have not checked any voltages on it. I have the older style LCD that has the two backlight wires, and I have focussed on that area, as I found one of the resistors cracked on PC KLM-3007, R28 3.3 ohms. I soldered in a replacement, which was not easy, and tested the output, the orange wire is 10.5V and the black is 4V with no voltage across the jack. I have emailed Korg Canada to try and get replacement KLM 3007 PC, but have not heard back. The LCD is still dark, but I bought the Kronos remote app for my ipad and have verified the touch display on the Kronos still responds to touch, it appears the LCD light has gone. I'll wait to hear back from Korg about replacement parts.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. According to the service manual, your 10,5 V reading is just fine but there is no test voltage mentioned for the other wire, only that it's referred to as LCD_SW, so no way to know if the 4 V is OK or not. The fact that a resistor cracked open on the KLM-3007 could mean that the PCB also suffered other damage, for example the Q3 transistor on the other side (2SC3661), etc.

Hopefully the Korg Canada service guys can promptly find you a new LCD screen and/or KLM-3007. You could also try Korg USA, I remember they were rather quick to respond when I contacted them some years ago.

Meanwhile, I would also check if there was any possibility that the back/hidden side of the KLM-3007 or the CN23 pins could have made contact with the LCD assembly back. I suppose there is enough room or some insulating stuff/spacer between the KLM-3007 and the LCD back there to avoid this.
cjfox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a KLM 3007 on the way, but Korg Canada told me the LCD is obsolete and unavailable. Fingers crossed. The insulating pad on the bottom of the PC is undisturbed, so a short is unlikely.
cjfox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to the members of this forum who have tried to help me, but I'm done. I got the KLM-3007 board, installed it and the power supply suddenly went dead. I ordered an Apevia 300W ATX supply from Amazon, as the dimensions were correct. I installed the power supply, and it fires up, but no display, same as before. I bought the Kronos remote app for ipad, so I have limited functionalty to it. Korg Canada has told me the display itself is obsolete and unavailable. The touch portion works. If I point a stylus on the screen it responds, but the LED behind it is dead, so a dark screen. Talk about self destruct sequence! Mother board, SSD, Display, Power supply. Even if did get it working properly I can never use it live, due to the unreliability. I can possibly use it for recording in a DAW, as long as I don't need to program anything.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouh man, what a nuisance. You could program it though via the windows editor, no?

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
cjfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one have experience ordering from Ali Express, they appear to have a replacement screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32850502834.html
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjfox wrote:
Any one have experience ordering from Ali Express, they appear to have a replacement screen.

Hi there and sorry about the tough repairs of your Kronos.

I ordered from AliExpress a couple of years ago and got everything as specified. But the delivery is a bit long compared to others since I think it comes from Asia. That's where I order some parts for my LCD screen mod, so I would say they are reliable, but it might take a longer while to get your stuff.
average_male

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
cjfox wrote:

Hi there and sorry about the tough repairs of your Kronos.

I ordered from AliExpress a couple of years ago and got everything as specified. But the delivery is a bit long compared to others since I think it comes from Asia. That's where I order some parts for my LCD screen mod, so I would say they are reliable, but it might take a longer while to get your stuff.

Any chance you could reupload the pictures you posted on page 2 of this thread?
cjfox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm back. Hope springs eternal. I got my Kronos back to partial functionality. I'm assuming when the power supply blew, it took 2 of the circuit boards with it, because after replacing them, I got display back. I am still wrestling with the freezing problem, it runs fine for an hour approximately and then freezes with the SSD activity LED lit continuously. I tried messing with the power saving options in the BIOS, thinking that the BIOS might have been changed by the previous owner of the MB. I also tried reformatting and installation on the original 30gig SSD which I still had, but it was almost done and after an hour it froze with the LED activity lit, so I'm now pretty sure it's some kind of setting on the MB. Anyone know what the settings are on a stock Kronos? My understanding is it's a standard intel BIOS. Maybe mine is non-stock, the MB was an ebay purchase.
cjfox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Intel has removed the old BIOS updates from their site. I haven't had success with getting one to try updating the bios. I have been in touch with Korg Canada, who could not help me, their advice was to put in a D525 motherboard, the D510 is unavailable, which would require me changing out even more boards and using the Kronos 2 DVDs which I would have to buy. They also told me the BIOS was proprietary, but info on this forum indicates it's a standard intel BIOS. My Kronos with the ebay D510mo will run oerfectly for one hour then freezes. As long as I don't use it live, I guess I'm OK.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry you still have problems with your Kronos. About the Korg disks, I often saw a link here to images of them, they are probably still available somewhere. Hope you can fix your unit.
cjfox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I have the proper discs for my D510mo motherboard, if I replaced it with a D525 (Kronos 2) motherboard I would need other disks and a 3002 circuit board and wiring harness, modifying the chassis and a lot more work. Mine works, I just want it to not freeze!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked in the IMB-140 (K2's MOBO) manual and it mentions about a BIOS option called WDT Timeout Reset. Make sure this option is disabled if it exists in your BIOS, as it's about the Watch Dog Timer IC which can force a reset on your MOBO. I'm sure you already checked your BIOS options a million times, but just in case it can help next time you plug a monitor in the internal VGA port in your Kronos.
cjfox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think it's something like that, but I've tried all the settings in power management, but no change. I was looking for a bios update that might give me more options.
cjfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working woo hoo! The fix is in the BIOS, a standard Intel BIOS comes with the SATA port configured to IDE, you need to change it to AHCI. from the boot screen (at the VGA port, not the kronos screen) F2->Internal chipset config-> Configure SATA as -> AHCI. Hope this helps someone else. This is for the BIOS that comes with a D510 ( I now have a spare just in case).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: