Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Details on Style Creation and Editing in New Manual.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Details on Style Creation and Editing in New Manual. Reply with quote

Hi,
just downloaded the the new Korg manual and finally found details on Style /Pad. Editing and Creation.

Can anyone confirm if the current version of Korg PA5X already has these functions, ie you can already do what’s in the manual as far as recording /editing goes, or is it more to do with the next update.

Thank you

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on Style Creation and Editing in New Manual. Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
Hi,
just downloaded the the new Korg manual and finally found details on Style /Pad. Editing and Creation.

Can anyone confirm if the current version of Korg PA5X already has these functions?

Rikki,

I'll try to check on this today. Just to clarify, you are referring to the information in Chapter 13? Or did you mean Chapters 6 and 7?

---

I have been checking KORG.com about once a week to see if they updated their manual again, thanks for catching this.

No version listed - and looks like they are calling this Users Manual vs Performance Guide

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave , I think it’s chapter 29, starting page 726, you’ll need the new manual. “ Recording and editing styles and pads.”
Basically the info I’d been waiting on before considering purchasing one.

If I remember correctly, you were interested in recording styles, so would be worth your while checking it out.

It mentions some of the main functions I used to use, so sounds promising.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
Hi Dave , I think it’s chapter 29, starting page 726, you’ll need the new manual. “ Recording and editing styles and pads.”
Basically the info I’d been waiting on before considering purchasing one.

If I remember correctly, you were interested in recording styles, so would be worth your while checking it out.

It mentions some of the main functions I used to use, so sounds promising.

Thanks Rikki - and Yes, you are correct I am looking to understand Style Recording.

Ideally, I wish I could simply select or create a drum track, loop it - while I work on adding a Bass track - continue looping as I keep adding instruments. Once the general sound is there I could then edit the individual tracks to create my music.

Perhaps this is why so many people have gone the DAW route.

Just seems with two powerhouse instruments this should be easier. As it is, the KRONOS is probably the better of the two keyboards to do what I want, but I want to play the 5X. So looking to create the Styles with the 5X to play over them.

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave , check page 755, sound like loop recording, but since I can’t try it don’t know if you can hear other tracks.

I just tried recording a style in real-time on my sx900, records that way ie record drum track, then record bass etc while drum track is playing.

I would imagine PA5x does it too.

My hobby was converting and editing styles, so not all that familiar with real-time recording.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never dove this deep into the 4X.

But so far everything in the new User Manual is working.

However - this Guitar Mode is incredible. Maybe this existed before in the 4X, but I never saw it, way cool!!!

Page 759

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
I never dove this deep into the 4X.

But so far everything in the new User Manual is working.

However - this Guitar Mode is incredible. Maybe this existed before in the 4X, but I never saw it, way cool!!!

Page 759

Hi Dave, that’s great. Korgs’s are amazing with their style creation and editing functions.
The Guitar mode goes way back to PA800 ( 2008/2009?). IF memory serves me correct. ( short of going back thru my old posts ).I think it may have been part of the first major upgrade they did for the pa800/pa2x. It was exciting days exploring the pa800.

Having been a Technics ( KN) tragic for many years, after they stopped making them, I was hard pressed to find a new keyboard I enjoyed, till I rediscovered Korg . The PA800 was it. Haha.

The guitar mode gets a bit trickier with intro/ending where there’s a chord progression involved, but for variations etc, it is brilliant. Well worth learning how it works.

Did the loop recording work for you?

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
Did the loop recording work for you?

It did - I was able to create a Pad by playing from Factory sounds. But I'm trying to create a Pad (meaning 1-4, or the Matrix Buttons) to play a Sample.

I can Sample, and create the Multisample, I just can't figure out how to save it where it can be read from the Pad Editor (Pad/User/filename) This has to be possible, just haven't figured out how yet...

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Check pages 963 to 969, might help.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:

It did - I was able to create a Pad by playing from Factory sounds. But I'm trying to create a Pad (meaning 1-4, or the Matrix Buttons)
to play a Sample.
I can Sample, and create the Multisample, I just can't figure out how to save it where it can be read from the Pad Editor
(Pad/User/filename) This has to be possible, just haven't figured out how yet...

Dave and the most of Pa5X users , you confuse 1-4 main Styles Pads with Matrix Pads , they are not the same !
Main 4 Styles Pads (written on main screen) are independent for each style and are written in them , while Matrix Pads 16 X 3 are Global
for all styles , won't change when you navigate between factory or user styles and are written in Setting info per KST !

- All "Pad" references in Pa5X editing menus are only for 1-4 main Style Pads and not for Matrix !
- 4 Styles Pads have their own buttons 1-4 close to styles buttons and nothing to do with Matrix.
- Global Matrix Pads can only be edited at screen Matrix page when you expand editor and you can only assign sound , user or factory !
- All PAD Sound Banks (factory or User) can be used by both Main 1-4 Pads or global Matrix Pads.

- For using an importing sample in Pads , you must import/record a sample , then save it , then creating a multisample with this sample and
save it , then create a new user Pad , assigning created multisample and save it in a Pad User bank.
Afterwards you can assign this pad at either main 1-4 Styles Pads or global Matrix Pads.

Matrix Pads at current OS are unfinished and you can only assign a Sound/Pad , later many other functions will be implemented ...

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Dave and the most of Pa5X users , you confuse 1-4 main Styles Pads with Matrix Pads , they are not the same !
Main 4 Styles Pads (written on main screen) are independent for each style and are written in them , while Matrix Pads 16 X 3 are Global
for all styles , won't change when you navigate between factory or user styles and are written in Setting info per KST !

- All "Pad" references in Pa5X editing menus are only for 1-4 main Style Pads and not for Matrix !
- 4 Styles Pads have their own buttons 1-4 close to styles buttons and nothing to do with Matrix.
- Global Matrix Pads can only be edited at screen Matrix page when you expand editor and you can only assign sound , user or factory !
- All PAD Sound Banks (factory or User) can be used by both Main 1-4 Pads or global Matrix Pads.

- For using an importing sample in Pads , you must import/record a sample , then save it , then creating a multisample with this sample and
save it , then create a new user Pad , assigning created multisample and save it in a Pad User bank.
Afterwards you can assign this pad at either main 1-4 Styles Pads or global Matrix Pads.

Matrix Pads at current OS are unfinished and you can only assign a Sound/Pad , later many other functions will be implemented ...

Hope this helps

Thank you as always Antony

Yes, there is confusion between the Pads 1-4 and the Matrix Pads. I am aware of their differences, or at least some of them. Ideally, I'd like to simply assign a sample in WAV format to a Matrix Pad. So far, it seems you can only do this via Factory Files. You mentioned Factory/User, and I agree I just haven't been able to Save anything to the User Bank.

Because of this I was attempting to utilize Pads 1-4 to see if I could do it that way. But you are absolutely correct, my ideal objective is a simple sample assigned to a Matrix Pad.

As for the confusion, PAD is a bad term. It took me some time to understand the concept of a Pad, or a Synth Pad (a musical over/undertone) in music. Then we (KORG) create the PAD buttons (1-4) which seem to be used to add elements to your production, not really used as PADS in the same term as I see it. Lastly KORG calls the Matrix Buttons PADS, likely based on their soft feel, such as a Drum Pad. All makes sense, but adds to the confusion...

-----

In reading through the new manual pages 900+ I've learned a lot, and realize how much more I have to go. While this process seems ridiculously difficult to simply assign a sample to a button, I realized through MultiSamples I could actually re-produce anything at KORG Level quality. Meaning, I could actually sample C4 from my piano at home, create a multisample and re-create my entire piano. Now..... I also know (or believe I do) that I just way over simplified the actual process, but the concept is the same. In actuality I would sample all 3rds and 5ths to create a more acurate representation. You could even go further, and create your own RX Piano, to add your physical attributes... So all incredibly interesting, and powerful.

AntonySharmman wrote:

Just to make sure I'm clear on this. I was trying to create my Multisample in Pads 1-4, so I could store the Style/Pad. From there I could use it within a given song, but was hoping it might make it accessible to the Matrix Pad Sounds via the PAD Sound Banks - since it would then be stored there.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe you are saying the current OS will not allow a User to assign a sample to a single Matrix Pad? If so, I find that very heard to believe, especially for you.

As much as people have given this keyboard a bad rap from the beginning, I think this is a Super Powerful workhorse of a machine. I'm amazed at what it can do. On the down side, I'm equally amazed that some things which I think should be so simple, aren't...

Sorry for such a lengthy post - and please keep the comments coming. I'm here to learn. I'll keep reading the manual, keep experimenting, and continue to listen to the advice of others here on the forum.

Again... Thank you Antony for your time.

Rikki too Very Happy

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never directly assign a sample nowhere in PaSeries and it's absolutely logical ...
A sample must be internally saved , addressed with parameters in a multisample container mainly for scaling purposes
in order to assign proper key and pitch and then you can create a SOUND or PAD that can be directly assigned in Matrix Pad.

This workflow was always the rule , and multiple samples f.e. of a piano per key & per velocity layer creating the relative multisamples
and then a SOUND with 24OSC with velocity orientations and 24 filters requires a vast experience & knowledge for DIY !
Actually this is skilled sound developer's job , using studio , special key velocity tools and room microphones !

What I wrote is that in Matrix you can assign a SOUND or PAD only , no parameters , no Volume , no FX , only original saved
or PAD settings are used.
In 4 Styles Pads you can use all above parameters and FX independently of saved PAD Bank settings.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
You can never directly assign a sample nowhere in PaSeries and it's absolutely logical ...
A sample must be internally saved , addressed with parameters in a multisample container mainly for scaling purposes
in order to assign proper key and pitch and then you can create a SOUND or PAD that can be directly assigned in Matrix Pad.

This workflow was always the rule , and multiple samples f.e. of a piano per key & per velocity layer creating the relative
multisamples and then a SOUND with 24OSC and 24 filters requires a vast experience & knowledge for DIY !

Thank you again Antony. I feel as if I am agitating you, and that is certainly not my wish, so my apologies in advance. My reference to re-creating a piano, was merely a statement that it COULD be done, and that is truly amazing. I believe this capability is the reason for the "workflow rules" you referred to, so precise scaling can be done. I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to do it.

AntonySharmman wrote:
What I wrote is that in Matrix you can assign a SOUND or PAD only , no parameters , no Volume , no FX , only original saved
or PAD settings are used.
In 4 Styles Pads you can use all above parameters and FX independently of saved PAD Bank settings.

I'm beginning to understand the workflow, but still running into some trouble with getting the 5X to save to the proper location to be accessed by the Matrix. I am going to try the TimeSlice as suggested by Rikki, but again this all seems way to difficult for a single WAV.

If I record a sneeze, and want to assign that recording to a Matrix Pad, I feel that should be an easy process. The workflow I'm experiencing is I need to create a New Song, Import my Sample, Create a Multi-Sample, Save the Multi-Sample... Here is where I run in to trouble. Once I save the Multi-Sample I can not access it unless I create a PAD, and save it as a PAD.

This does seem lie it should be easier - I don't want 88 different sneezes, just one simple recording.

As always I truly appreciate everyone's help here - I do hope I'm not offending anyone with my learning curve. I'm a newbie, and have never claimed to be any different, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to challenge, learning or growth.

davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALL for bearing with me. I feel like I just gave birth...

Time Slice - spilt up the Multi-Sample as the name implies. Would work if you wanted to assign a key to each part of the sample.

Creating Sounds from MultiSamples (Page 959) - Took me down the right path. With a little trial and error - I was able to assign a WAV to a Matrix Pad.

This may be worthy of a YT video... Perhaps I can put one together this coming week.

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The explanation of sound developing stuff was an example of the magnitude of sampling art , without any other meaning !

If you read 308 page of latest Pa5X Performance Guide you will see how you can assign a created custom Pad from User Banks.
Therefore , first create a custom Pad from your custom multisample.

Do not experiment with time-sliced samples yet , this do not work in current OS , 'cause the required mid-file is not created after time slicing !
If you want to learn about time-slicing , read Advanced Edit manual of Pa4X.
Experiment with Pa5X only with imported or recorded samples !
Also an imported stereo sample must be less than 10 sec duration if compressed , else it will be saved corrupted (another current bug).

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: