Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clavioline sound on 1960's song Telstar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Clavioline sound on 1960's song Telstar Reply with quote

I remembered a 1960s song called [u]Telstar[/u] from long ago and got to wondering what on earth made that sound. It appears it was something called a Clavioline that was a forerunner of synthesizers. (At least according to Wikipedia.)
There are several programs on the Kronos with a similar name but they don't sound like that record. I'm wondering if any of you have tried to duplicate that sound and, if so, how are you did it.

Thanks in advance,

John
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the Telstar version you mention but I've grown to remember the one from The Ventures with organ. The Clavioline was indeed incredible for its time with an impressive array of different timbres/presets. Vangelis often used it on his first albums including 666, Earth and so on. I have a few basic Clavioline programs on my Kronos but never had the time to refine them.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread relating to the Clavioline sound here:

www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126192

With a link to a Clavioline PCG file, about 5 posts down in the thread:
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Incredible.

That sound is spot on. I continue to be amazed at the talent here and how willing all of you are to share it.

Best regards,

John
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I know about the Telstar version you mention but I've grown to remember the one from The Ventures with organ. The Clavioline was indeed incredible for its time with an impressive array of .

I had forgotten that the Ventures had organ parts. This makes perfect sense, of course. My brother became obsessed with the Telsta song so I must've heard it 100 times!

I was a child at the time, but it is really hard to remember anything other than the space program that generated so much common excitement. Telstar changed everything about communications. AT&T bill labs was really underappreciated for what it contributed. nobody knew where this stuff came from, it just appeared.

Thanks
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Being an elderly fellow I couldn't resist posting on your thread. Two names came to my mind when I saw the word 'Telstar' which were Jet Harris and Tony Meeham. I'm going to do a little research and comment further. I do believe there was also a connection with Cliff Richards band 'The Shadows' a la Hank Marvin. I was seven when this came out and was probably the first single my parents ever bought me. I played it to death, biggest regret purchase they ever made, LOL !!
Chris
Update, Apparently the closest Jet Harris & Tony Meeham got to the Tornadoes was when they toured with them in 1963. They did both play in the Shadows.
Jogger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi,
Being an elderly fellow I couldn't resist posting on your thread. Two names came to my mind when I saw the word 'Telstar' which were Jet Harris and Tony Meeham. I'm going to do a little research and comment further. I do believe there was also a connection with Cliff Richards band 'The Shadows' a la Hank Marvin. I was seven when this came out and was probably the first single my parents ever bought me. I played it to death, biggest regret purchase they ever made, LOL !!
Chris
Update, Apparently the closest Jet Harris & Tony Meeham got to the Tornadoes was when they toured with them in 1963. They did both play in the Shadows.

Your post got me thinking.
I grew up around that time and yes this sound had an effect on me too.
Think I'll try programing it just for the sake of messing around with it.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just use a Vox or Farfisa "cheesy" organ patch, instead of spending a bunch of time trying to nail the Clavioline sound. 99.9% of the audience will not be able to tell the difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: