Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahoy Pa1000 and Pa700 owners out there
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Ahoy Pa1000 and Pa700 owners out there Reply with quote

All this talk of the Pa5x, who wants to talk about pa700 and Pa1000?

Have you found out any new combinations that sound brilliant?
NEXO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahoy Pa1000 and Pa700 owners out there Reply with quote

the end...BYE
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahoy Pa1000 and Pa700 owners out there Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
All this talk of the Pa5x, who wants to talk about pa700 and Pa1000?..

Why one would talk about Pa1000? Because there is no answer, Korg hasn't done anything to eliminate shortcomings in the midrange for years!

NEXO wrote:
the end...BYE

So really it is better to say bye!!

As a reminder --> link to Thread "Problems Report for Pa1000/Pa700 (no wish-lists)"
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm Post subject: Re: Wish-List and Problems Report sticky thread for Pa1000
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=771690

Re: Wish-List and Problems Report sticky thread for Pa1000

siebenhirter wrote:
BR wrote:
I was wondering if we can have a Wish-Lists and Problems Report sticky thread for Pa1000 and Pa700.
Would be appreciated.

Problem:
Songbook with sb-entry-type style causes bumpy interruptions of sound in realtime-tracks with running styles by sb-selection with "StyleToKbd"=Off.
With StyleToKbd indicator is OFF sb-selection with entry-type style explicit should NOT SELECT an unintentional KbdSet automatically!
Styles in songbooks tile view and set list can not be selected successively without KbdSet changes automatically. Pa1000 disrupts playing realtime-sounds by loading KdbSet#1, so

Songbooks does not allow to keep the current KeyboardSet as is done in StylePlay.
It is asked for OS correction.

Wish:
Keyboard Sets Lock added (like Pa4x with [3.0])
A Keyboard Set 1-4 lock added to the Global > General Controls > Lock Control page.
When this lock is closed, the four currently selected Keyboard Sets are preserved, when choosing a different Style or SongBook Entry.
With this lock open, selecting a Style or SongBook Entry will select the four Keyboard Sets they contain.
Add / reimplement dynamic FillMode (like Pa4x with [1.2])
Fill Mode parameters added to the Style Play > Style Controls > Drum/Fill page.
Fill Mode parameters allow for automatically choosing a Variation at the end of each Fill, triggerd with FILL or BREAK buttons.
These settings can be saved to the Style Settings or a SongBook Entry, so you can have a different Fill Mode configuration for each Style or SongBook Entry.
Locking the Fill Mode (like Pa4x Version [1.2] ).
Assignable-Switches - add funktion to trigger Fill-Ins manually
(Fill-In1, Fill-In2, Fill-In3, Fill-In4)

Korg has never discussed any of these points. What should we think is to be expected with this lack of interest in customer needs, that unfortunately does not only apply to discontinued models?

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Well, considering 5x, older models are all we have! Reply with quote

As most of us know, the Pa-5x has issues; meaning things that used to be features on older models are not there on the 5x. Does this mean a "new OS Upgrade" will add the missing features; or that we are to live without them forever on the 5x? No one seems to know.

So, with the 5x uncertain, I am looking at other, older models for the functionality I want. It's between the Pa-1000 and the Pa-4X for me.

Pa-4x has Pitch Correction on Vocals, with options, the 1000 does not. (I am NOT an expert Vocalist!) The 5x has a completely different Vocal System, and NO ONE can/will tell me about the Pitch Correction options on the 5x. The 4x & 1000 can record Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence for song creation while the 5x does not. I'm leery of having to spend $500 MORE to get the Korg speakers for the 4x and 5x. People are saying the 5x has better sound than the 4x & 1000. The 1000 seems to have bizarre lockup problems reported too many times to ignore. Cost is an issue -- but not overriding reliability (with the 1000), but I like having speakers on-board.

Can you sense my dilemma? I'm presently looking at 4x, 1000, and slightly at 5x. {OK, and I've also looked at the Yamaha PSR-SX900} Can anyone help me out here to narrow my choices?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely sense your dilemma

If you are not in a hurry, I would at least wait a few months and see how the current "sad" PA5x develops. Overall I would like a PA5x but compared to my current PA4x, it would be a stupid exchange.
There's a lot to be "finished" and fixed on this new model.

I must say that a PA4x (which should be a bit cheaper now) would be an outstanding choice - I have no issues with mine at all.
Personally, I would go for the PA4x but, I repeat, personally - the PA1000 is also a superb machine.

Good luck with your decision.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: pa-4x; Pa-1000 or wait Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I definitely sense your dilemma

If you are not in a hurry, I would at least wait a few months and see how the current "sad" PA5x develops. ... personally - the PA1000 is also a superb machine.

Pete Very Happy

Do you consider the issues others have had, (it's difficult to quantify!!) with Pa-1000 are a few owners/former owners who have made a lot of noise, or is there some design flaw in the 1000, or is it imperfect manufacturing / poor QC causing the issues, well posted, on the '1000?

I'm willing to wait some time to see how the '5x pans out, but I have the itch for a new 'board! It concerns me that Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence are not in the Pa-5x's Video Training Manuals! If it were a Software Upgrade, don't you think even non-functional items would somehow be mentioned in the official Korg Video Training Manuals?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest as I have not owned or followed the PA1000 in detail so I cannot make a judgement on it.

Quote:
but I have the itch for a new 'board!

I had that itch too but relieved it and bought a Fantom-8 !!!!!

The PA5x can wait and so can I - at least until it is completed and fixed - I don't think that will happen quickly Confused

Take care
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Pa5x features Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
... I definitely sense your dilemma It concerns me that Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence are not in the Pa-5x's Video Training Manuals!

Obviously the Pa5x was launched prematurely to introduce a new device before another manufacturer like Yamaha does it!

However, it is grossly negligent to deliver the Pa5x to customers in a half-finished, incomplete state. Whether and with which features the Pa5x will be equipped after an OS update is unknown. You also cannot rely on whether and with which parameters missing features will be equipped. It is also not known whether and how to work with the parameters of these tools, most of which are still missing now.

Therefore, any question about features like the BackingSequence, the StepBackingSequence, etc. seems to be relatively pointless as long as related answers and product information come from relatively unreliable sources (advertising, PerformanceManual, verbal information from demos, youTube videos, guesses from forum postings, etc) or sources that only describe basic functions, which cannot answer whether and with which of the missing features the Pa5x will be equipped - and when that will be.

One can only guess and puzzle as long as concrete binding information from Korg is missing - unfortunately.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa5x features Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
tkarlmann wrote:
... I definitely sense your dilemma It concerns me that Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence are not in the Pa-5x's Video Training Manuals!

Therefore, any question about features like the BackingSequence, the StepBackingSequence, etc. seems to be relatively pointless as long as related answers and product information come from relatively unreliable sources (advertising, PerformanceManual, verbal information from demos, youTube videos, guesses from forum postings, etc).

One can only guess and puzzle as long as concrete binding information from Korg is missing - unfortunately.

Do you consider the Pa5x Video Training Manuals, produced by the same man who did the Pa4x & Pa1000 Video Training Manuals for Korg, Steve McNally, to be an "unreliable source"?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa5x features Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
Do you consider the Pa5x Video Training Manuals, produced by the same man who did the Pa4x & Pa1000 Video Training Manuals for Korg, Steve McNally, to be an "unreliable source"?

Yes, because none of the videos reference those features that are obviously missing (eg the various editing functions for styles and sounds, editing samples, etc.).

The videos may be suitable for a beginner, but they do not answer the essential questions that one asks about the Pa5x here.

I therefore added:
... unreliable sources (advertising, PerformanceManual, verbal information from demos, youTube videos, guesses from forum postings, etc) or sources that only describe basic functions, which cannot answer whether and with which of the missing features the Pa5x will be equipped - and when that will be.

Or about that did you find a reliable, binding answer in the videos?

tkarlmann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pa5x features Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
tkarlmann wrote:

Yes, because none of the videos reference those features that are obviously missing (eg the various editing functions for styles and sounds, editing samples, etc.).

The videos may be suitable for a beginner, but they do not answer the essential questions that one asks about the Pa5x here.

I therefore added:
... unreliable sources (advertising, PerformanceManual, verbal information from demos, youTube videos, guesses from forum postings, etc) or sources that only describe basic functions, which cannot answer whether and with which of the missing features the Pa5x will be equipped - and when that will be.

Or about that did you find a reliable, binding answer in the videos?

I think, perhaps, I did. First, Steve McNally states that the Video Manuals are meant to be an adjunct to the Online PDF Manuals; second, he states, clearly, that you have FOUR ways to record on the Pa4X, then he says, (in the Recording modules, for each respective model in the Video Manual), that you have (only) TWO ways to record on the Pa5X. (Steve went through a lengthy description on how to Record in Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence for the Pa4X).

Obviously Steve COULD re-record those Video Manuals iff major new features are added in the future, but then you need to rely on Software for 100% of anything added in the future. Also, these Videos I'm speaking about for the Pa5X are NOT linked on the Korg website, but they ARE for the Pa4X, and they are the exact same quality by the same guy, and those Pa5X 'Video Manuals' are on YouTube. Do you think features as major as the ones we're discussing will really happen for the Pa5X? ((I Hope so!)) Am I SURE that these and other features will not be added to Pa5X? No, of course not! I'm merely sharing information here -- that the Pa4X Video Manuals seem to define features totally lacking in the Pa5X.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Pa1000/700 without support / without update / without .... Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
.. Steve McNally states that the Video Manuals ... .

I think we are off-topic with evaluating Steve McNallys videos. Op's question was "who wants to talk about pa700 and Pa1000 ?".
In this context, I don't think it's purposeful to discuss details about the problems of the pa5x here.

Talking about Pa1000 I think it is better to remind again of postings from July 2019, where member BR asks for a Problems Report sticky thread for Pa1000 and Pa700 ( http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=771684#771684 ).

2019 BR meant that would help the users to report issues in one place and would help Korg team to see easily the reports, like we have in Pa4X section - and he would appreciate it.

We got the whole thread "Problems Report for Pa1000/Pa700 (no wish-lists)" as a sticky thread and by August 2021 this sticky thread had grown to four pages. But it did not help Korg team to see easily the reports - maybe problem reports from users with midrange models are not worth paying attention to?

After issues with Pa1000 user tony mads postet in April 2022: What is even more frustrating is the fact that KORG USA's reply is "upgrade to OS 1.5" When I purchased my keyboard OS 1.5 was already installed, so now what ?!?

It happened, that Korg was not able to discuss any of that problems collected from users on four pages, because otherwise there would have been at least one update for the Pa1000 to fix at least the worst problems, as was done with the updates of the Pa4x.
This forum is hosted by KORG USA but is noted, that KORG Forums is owned by a KORG product user and therefore if official support with a product is needed, local KORG Distributor must be contacted.

I can find the email address for support for my region at https://www.korg.com/de/support/ and I get the following answer from the Assistant Brand Manager there:

... bitte entschuldigen Sie die verspätete Rückmeldung, ich arbeite nur Teilzeit bei KORG in Marburg, die Antwort an Sie hatte ich leider aufgeschoben.
Herrn Lindemann erreichen Sie hier unter dieser E-Mail-Adresse leider nicht mehr.
In Sachen Pa1000-Update habe ich bis heute noch keine weiter reichenden Informationen, ich bedaure, Ihnen keine anders lautende Mitteilung zu geben.

Was ein umfangreiches Update für das Pa1000 angeht, da kann ich selbst nur vermuten, dass das Pa5X gerade Vorrang vor allem hat
und das Pa1000 auf der Prioritätenliste nach hinten gerutscht ist. Aber das ist keine offizielle Aussage........................

Sollte sich zu den o.g. Themen eine Änderung abzeichnen, werde ich Sie umgehend informieren.

Translated, this means that not only have I been waiting for Pa1000 updates for four years (but were immediately delivered to the Pa4x), but I should also continue to wait for an update to correct the worst shortcomings, because neither local dealers nor the support for Central Europe has any information about it .

Even if the Pa5x were to be updated satisfactorily, why should I ever believe that the current or any future Korg midrange arranger would ever be updatet?

"Ahoy Pa1000 and Pa700 owners out there - who really wants to talk about pa700 and Pa1000 ?".

duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Great video Reply with quote

Korg makes the video sound like a greatest in the world..
The keyboard sounds a little bit better but, it does not compare to the pa4x , that works,
Sell me a keyboard that does less,, then I’am a fool .
But one day ….Now I will wait two or three years for all the update it will be like the pa4x but sound a little cleaner…
When you buy a new keyboard you are usually stock with what you bought at that time..
The Korg pa700 or pa1000 or pa4x and so on .. there is 99% that , there will be no updates in the future. ( I hope I am wrong ) just look back at the history of Korg….
Korg is just a struggling to get the pa5x usable,, so updates on the old keyboards are out of the question…
Like all manufacturers would say just buy a new one,,.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Support Midrange - Update Pa1000 Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
... When you buy a new keyboard you are usually stock with what you bought at that time..The Korg pa700 or pa1000 or pa4x and so on .. there is 99% that , there will be no updates in the future. ... Korg is just a struggling to get the pa5x usable,, so updates on the old keyboards are out of the question…Like all manufacturers would say just buy a new one,,.

Hallo Duby,

I've always appreciated your arguments, but when you think the device always remains the device as you bought it at that time, then one should not expect that there would be updates for a purchased new Pa5x.

Apart from the fact that I do not want to discuss the Pa5x in the Pa1000 section of this thread, I do not agree with your arguments regarding the Pa1000.

This device has had complaints to Korg Support for five years - and for three years as well Problem report exists here for postings of users.

So Korg had enough time to respond to the complaints. Instead, since the Pa1000 came out, for example, in mails with Korg it has been confirmed to me that certain shortcomings should be corrected with an update, just like with the Pa4x. Corresponding updates were carried out on the Pa4x, but when I have urged also to update Pa1000, Korg&More always put me off.

They said that they would constantly try to find a solution from the manufacturer, but that as a distributor they actually had no influence on whether and when the shortcomings with an update would be fixed.
As you meant, maybe one is no fool to buy a keyboard that doesn't perform well - but one day after one will wait two or three years for any updates that will not come - why would he ever buy any midrange keyboard like the Pa1000 or its successor without being a fool?
I don't think it applies to the Pa1000 that updates are out of the question for that "old keyboard", because recent hardware of Pa1000/700 Type B (HDMI) is at the same level as the hardware of the Pa5x.

Due to some changes in the hardware components that Korg used in Pa1000/700, there are two different versions of Pa1000/700: the older Type A is up to SN #39999 including an RCA Video connector, while Type B is starting from SN# 40000 including an HDMI connector.

Type B of Pa1000/700 has been available since 2020. As often assumed, the internal operation of these arrangers is not organized just like a PC - assumed with samples streamed from disk, with CPU that runs tone generation software and samples held in main CPU's memory during sound generation.

That is not true for Pa1000/700 or Pa5x, because these instruments internally are organized like an embedded hardware device, called "SoC" and means

"System on a chip". SoCs used by Korg for Pa5x/1000/700 are from same Familiy "Sitara" of Texas Instruments and without different release dates.
Naturally there is a main computer inside SoCs, but it is an embedded processor with many input/output (I/O) interfaces integrated onto the same integrated circuit.

The number of features is larger in the Pa5x because it uses dual core CPU and two DSPs (single-core, one DSP core with Pa1000/700), but the SoCs of Pa5x and Pa1000/700 use absolutely identical subsystems (like ARM Cortex-A15, C66x DSP, Cortex-M4 Coprocessor etc).

Both the upper class and the midrange keyboards with its Sitara ARM applications processors are built to meet the intense processing needs of the modern embedded products and bring high processing performance through the maximum flexibility of a fully integrated mixed processor solution.

With that technology Pa1000/700 are no "old keyboards", but simple was forgotten to update their Type B-models with the essentials that have been necessary for years, as documented here in the problem report.

Korg's lack of support in the mid-range area is annoying, but as a customer interested in these products, after such a long time I expect at least the same update as is being carried out for the upper class.
If Korg is just a struggling to get the upper class of instruments usable, without to update the recent midrange models - I never would accept like manufacturers would say "just buy a new one".

I would buy a Pa1000 if the essential updates are available - unfortunately hard to believe that this updates happens.

duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: No arguments just saying Reply with quote

you know a lot about the pa1000 and the pa5x
and what you say , I like it and sound great ... and these keyboard can go to be so much more .. and I hope they do ...
but in the end . as you said ...

I would buy a Pa1000 if the essential updates are available ???? - unfortunately hard to believe that this updates happens.
so sad...

So if it happens , Great for all ( I have a pa1000 ) but it is hard to believe that it will happen...
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: