Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4x sound degradation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erwinor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: PA4x sound degradation Reply with quote

I always had the impression that Pa4x is smearing sound transients and yesterday I decided to make an experiment.
I made a beat with fixed velocity at 127 in song and style mode.Then I recorded internally to mp3 and imported into Logic.You can cleary see and hear that style has a problem with transients, its like there is some kind of clipping that chops of the initial attack of the sound.

My drum kits play well in sound and song mode but in style mode the sound is weak.......

PS: no fx were applied in any mode and both files were normalised

Test files
https://mega.nz/file/mxsmXChL#t6SlvwsOcEq2Rpu_db50uTtV78es0_AYI1w7jo17OBk

fatih89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I analyzed the two audio files. I chopped the kicks and snares and phase aligned them. I heard no (significant) difference.

After that I inverted one of the channels and listened to the difference (ch1 - ch2 phase inv). What I heard was only some high frequencies, which is pretty normal when recording even the "same" audio source twice, especially since you recorded the audio with the internal mp3-recorder and converted them to wav-files.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: PA4x sound degradation Reply with quote

erwinor wrote:
I always had the impression that Pa4x is smearing sound transients and yesterday I decided to make an experiment.
I made a beat with fixed velocity at 127 in song and style mode.Then I recorded internally to mp3 and imported into Logic.You can cleary
see and hear that style has a problem with transients, its like there is some kind of clipping that chops of the initial attack of the sound.

My drum kits play well in sound and song mode but in style mode the sound is weak.......

PS: no fx were applied in any mode and both files were normalised

Prototype wav1 (I guess) is not properly time sliced , at the end of loop there is a noise waveform that must be deleted in external audio
editor before inserted in Pa4X sample editor.
This noise at the end of loop gives the impression of issue in transient at first measurement.

Also if you want to compare imported wav then you can only record L/R outputs and not convert the already loosy KMP to low bit-rate MP3
and then back to wav , since you have already lost frequency information that can't be recovered with converting MP3 waveform back to wav !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: