Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestate background Arp runs forever, cannot turn it off!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Wavestate background Arp runs forever, cannot turn it off! Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to the Wavestate, but a long time Korg user.

Having a really annoying issue that may be user error, but probably not. If I am in a basic preset in Arpeggiator latch mode, and I move to another patch to add a layer, the original Arp plays perpetually and I lose all control over it. I cannot stop it or change the sound and it plays in the background of whatever else I am playing/doing It's like it's hung up in an infinite loop and I cannot get back to it to regain control. I have tried everything the manual has to offer that could be related, nothing helps. It occasionally stops by itself after a long time (or by a fortuitous pressing of random buttons) but normally we have to shut down the machine and start again. It doesn't seem to do it on all presets.

Been messing around with synths since 1982 (Polysix, first synth), so not exactly a novice, but this is driving me CRAZY. Any ideas?

Cheers, Chris

I should mention that we have the latest OS updated

UPDATE: could it be related to the Shift+Latch update to performance hold on the latest OS update?? It seems using this shortcut button combination post-OS2.0 results in holds on the whole performance which seems to somehow render layers of the performance no longer editable. I dunno, just riffing...it surely can't be by design though, having a loop playing without any means of shutting it off is a pretty annoying thing to come across!

ANOTHER UPDATE: OK I think I have figured out what is causing this. If I use the SHIFT+LATCH button combination the current ARP will latch at the Performance level (by design?). If I then move to another program, the latched performance arp will continue to play and there appears to be no way to get back to it to stop the arp or edit it. I cannot imagine that this is by design because why would anybody want an element playing endlessly beyond all control. SO, this is either (i) user error on my part (possible), (ii) a bug in my own machine, or (iii) a bug in the 2.0 OS.

I'd love to get feedback on this, telling me I'm an idiot and correcting my approach is completely acceptable. Anyone else have this issue? Cheers.
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: PERFORMANCE HOLD BUG? Reply with quote

Nobody else has this issue? Anyone? Really hoping somebody here can advise. Helpdesk basically treated me like a 5 year old - pointed me to the manual and the fundamentals of Arpeggiators Rolling Eyes
CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavestate background Arp runs forever, cannot turn it of Reply with quote

TonesForTelepaths wrote:
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to the
I'd love to get feedback on this, telling me I'm an idiot and correcting my approach is completely acceptable. Anyone else have this issue? Cheers.

When I send long sequence of fast midi notes on some presets, they keep playing even when I send a midi PC and change preset.
The only way to stop them is to restart Wavestate. Sad
Rupert T Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a similar issue. I'm a new user as well - I just bought mine a month ago. Apart from using a VCS3 back in the 70s and mucking about on Audiotool, this is my first synth.

When I turn the machine on I'm able to browse every sample in "WaveSeq ALL" and each plays as a single layer. But as soon as I press PERFORM, I can't go back to WaveSeq ALL without every sample playing the same performance I've just been playing. I can go back to PERFORM to explore and play again, but when I press SELECT to explore all the single layer samples, I encounter the same problem again.

I'm sure the solution is very simple and it's because I'm being a bit stupid. Like OP I don't mind if somebody suggests I need a new brain. (I did ring Currys earlier...)

An observation! Every week on Ebay sees barely used Wavestates being listed by owners who say things like "It wasn't suitable for my project" or "No longer needed". I'm old enough and wise enough to know what this is really about, in fact a couple of sellers have admitted as much in pms - these are very seductive machines for reasonable money but they are really quite complex. Lots of folks buy these, their initial excitement then tempered when they hit a brick wall a few weeks later.

You can make great sounds immediately - but it seems grasping even a third of its real potential is downright challenging for many owners.

Has there ever been a Dummies or Beginners thread on this forum?
Bigjohnson2inch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right . Pressing shift + Arp activate performance hold. Just pressing arp with play arp on that layer. And what I believe performance hold does is loop the wave sequence of the layers set to that Keyrange in the performance .My recommendation is to check out the key ranges of the layers with in the performance. By doing so you can configure which layers are on which keys. Kind of like keyboard splits. Initially all layers play all keys but you can adjust them.

Performance hold was placed on there recently by design because you could only hold the performance with a damper pedal and every time you took your foot off the pedal it would stop. Which is not good for live use if
u have to move around. So performance hold is there for live situations.

I’ve had mine for about a year and it’s still kind of intimidating. Baby steps are the key to unlocking this unique synth. Another recommendation is when you plan to program wavesequences ,use the software. It gives a birds eye on it all ,so much easier to program. Not that it’s too difficult on the panel, it’s just less steps with the software. I hope I helped. Good luck.
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I agree Bigjohn, the issue(?) is triggered by the use of performance hold. However, I am still not sure why one loses control over this after navigating to another patch. My understanding is that the Perfhold will disengage once a new key is pressed or new patch selected but it does not. If I navigate away to another patch after initiating PerfHold there seems no way to get back to it to turn it off. Or am I missing a key step?
Bigjohnson2inch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I’m kinda getting what you are saying. So you play a performance patch put the performance hold on then go to change another performance patch and the previous patch is still playing? This is due to the design of the wavestate. Once again live type of feature.

What happens is that they made it so that the sound wouldn’t stop when the new patch is on. Then you can play the new patch while the old one plays until you fill all the voices with the new patch. I think it goes like this previous voice>new voices then when you start new voices on a new patch it extinguishes the old voices. So when you have a arp on a previous patch it will continue to play until you start using all the voices for the new patch.. That’s for performance patches.

On the program layer level you can set key ranges for each layer. So on lower keys you could have a drum beat (layer 1 ) wave sequence and layer 2 have a multi sample to play with the beat on higher keys. I’ve never experienced previous sound playing on program layer scrolling through multi sample or individual wave sequences, only performance patches. If that doesn’t help and you’re still stuck could you please write your steps so I can try on mine so we can solve this together.

I’m happy to help as I’m always interested to see how people use this Synth.
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again BigJohn. Yes I think it is as you describe. Given that this is by design, I'm still a bit baffled as to why, especially in a performance situation, you would want to have an element playing beyond control. Of am I missing the method to go back to the original perfhold element to be edited/stopped?
thark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried this. SHIFT+LATCH and the current arp plays latched. Switching to another patch the arp keeps playing but as soon as I touch a key it stops and the new patch starts playing. This being the case, it can't be a software bug or everyone would be experiencing it.

Keith
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith. The problem occurs when you switch to a different patch while the current one is latched. For me, after doing so I can no longer get back to the original patch and it plays continuously with no apparent way of stopping it. Maybe this is how Performance mode is designed to work. But it's odd though, because say in a performance situation you accidently SHIFTLATCH the wrong patch and in the flow of the moment switch to a new patch without stopping the first, you'd be stuck. Again, this may be by design, I'm a studio boffin not a performer so it is possible I just don't get the Performance workflow...

BTW my work around is to not use performance mode - but I can't help but think this is limiting my options for this fabulously deep machine. I love the machine, just sold my much loved Wavestation because I love the State so much - just annoyed by things I can't quite get my head around!
Bigjohnson2inch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that’s what I would do. From what I know performance mode will play wavesequences based upon which keys are set in the keyrange for that layer.
If you want to just arpeggio the layer hit arp, and in the menus somewhere should be arp hold. That will be able to arp the layer without activing performance mode.
This machine is designed to drive you crazy with its numerous functions because you gotta remember everything you did. I recommend watching some videos on patch creation. Reading about the arp section in the manual. It might give you some insight on how to do some workarounds for your workflow. Everyone has a different setup ,I work different from you, being open to different ways unlocks our brains to find ways to resolve limitations .
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want arps to stop when changing presets, then set the SST setting to 0 instead of the default 5 seconds.
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QuiRobinez. Unfortunately your suggestion does not fix the issue. I am going to try to break down the issue differently:

-If I am on a preset, hit the shiftlatch button combo, then hit a key the patch latches and plays. If I reverse this by hitting shiftlatch again it stops.

-If I am on a preset, hit the shiftlatch button combo, then hit a key the patch latches and plays. If I move to another patch the first patch continues to play and I can add to the sound using the new patch. However, I lose control over the original patch playing in the background. Even if I navigate back to the original patch, I still cannot stop it from playing.

-Changing the SST to 0 seems to have no effect on this issue.

To me this is a bug. I don't know why anybody, especially in a performance situation, would want a feature by which a patch can be made to play beyond all ability to stop or change it.

Still waiting for Korg Helpdesk to suggest something.

I do really appreciate all the feedback - this is making me crazy. I love this synth but I'm not sure I can live with this issue from a philosophical stand-point. It just seems wrong. Why is this like this? Arrggg!
Bigjohnson2inch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this is design of the wavestate. It’s not built like a workstation keyboard where you can add on to first sound using other patches then go back to first patch. I get what you’re saying and can understand how frustrating it can be.
Each patch will initialize to its original settings after you switch patches. Korg Designed it so that way if you switch a sound the previous sound will continue to play and not stop abruptly like other synths. The previous sound will continue to play its voices until the new voices start playing and get rid of the old ones.
Sorry to be the bad guy but what your trying to do is not feasible with this machine, you will need another wavestate as only one patch at a time can be played. there is good news wavestate native has all the same patches as the hardware. And you can save patches to transfer tho the hardware and vice versa. You don’t even have to buy it either, itgives you a 20 minute demo instance which you can keep reloading. They even give you discount for it when you register the wavestate to korg.
Personally I just tweak the setting in WS native then sample what I like. Then use the librarian sample builder to build the patch then transfer to hardware.
TonesForTelepaths

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again BigJohn. That indeed is bad news and absolutely baffling. Not sure what is gained by not having the ability to stop the original patch from playing continuously, but if that is how they designed it, I guess that's that. It is absolutely crazy though. Only way to stop a latched patch if you navigate away is to shut down the machine? Wow Korg, wow. I don't use computer based synths at all, and I can't live with this annoyance - bad engineering irritates me. So unless a tweak gets released the WS will probably get shelved and I'll move on to the Argon8 (which really excites me).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: