Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Editor not connecting to SV2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bblair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Sound Editor not connecting to SV2 Reply with quote

I have a new SV2, cannot seem to connect it to the Sound Editor software. Software installs as expected, program launches. when it attempts to connect it takes me to the backup page not the sound page.

i've tried with the SV2 already powered on, off, connected before launch of software and after.

Tried 2 different computers, mac and PC. Tried 2 different USB cables.

what am I doing wrong?
jejefunkyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be sure to have installed the right USB driver on your computer, otherwise the SV2 will not connect to the editor. Go check Korg's website, there's a dedicated SV2 download page where you can grab all the drivers.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/839/#software

You need to have the right operating system on your computer.
Bblair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: fixed Reply with quote

there was a system update for the SV2 that is on the Korg site. once i ran that everything connected smoothly on my mac.
LisaLane32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read that you can use the SV-2 editor to conveniently view and edit all the sound parameters and general settings of your SV-2. When you are finished editing, your sounds and favorite settings can be written to the SV-2 or a backup file on your computer. But it's not that simple; I get constant errors, and I don't know what has to do with it.
rymix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone else who may happen upon this post (e.g. Google search), there is a good chance you are suffering from a bug/undocumented feature in the Korg Windows 10/11 USB MIDI drivers software.

Tim Shoebridge discovered this and articulate the solution brilliantly in his YouTube video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVy2aqQm3U8&ab_channel=TimShoebridge

In case this video disappears or if someone needs text instructions, I'll do my best below.

NOTE! These instructions will uninstall drivers from your platform. You must be in a position to reinstall any altered drivers. Please collect together the latest drivers for your MIDI devices before continuing.

1. Install the Korg USB MIDI Driver (from here, correct at the time or writing) https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/285/

2. Install the SV-2 Editor software https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/839/4479/ version 1.0.0 at the time of writing

3. Connect your SV-2 to your Windows 10/11 PC prior to opening the SV-2 Editor software

4. Open SV-2 Editor. If all you see is the Backup tab and the Editor cannot communicate with your SV-2, chances are you have the same problem I was seeing. If so, continue to 5. If not, why are you even reading this?

5. Manually open the Korg driver uninstaller software. By default it is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver\UnInstDrv64.exe (You are nearly definitely using a 64-bit OS so ignore the non-64 version of the .exe)

6. Korg has a weird 'USB MIDI driver order' thing going on. As far as I can tell this is just some Korg weirdness. In the uninstaller you will see a number of MIDI devices listed from midi0 to midix depending on the number of MIDI devices you have on your system. There are pagination arrows if you have more than 10 devices installed.

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT BIT - YOUR KORG SV-2 DRIVER MUST BE IN A TOP 10 SLOT

Even if your SV-2 driver is installed perfectly well, if it's not in the top ten slots shown in the Korg USB MIDI uninstaller software, your SV-2 Editor software will not see your keyboard and will be unable to communicate with it.

If you see a driver named KORG SV-2 in the top ten (i.e. midi0-midi9) then I don't know what to tell you. Contact Korg Support.

If you see a driver named KORG SV-2 in a slot midi10 or higher, you need to do some tinkering. Continue...

7. Unplug the SV-2 USB cable. And unplug any other USB MIDI devices you intend on uninstalling in the next step.

8. Uninstall all KORG SV-2 instances by checking the box next to them and clicking Next. If like me you'd tried reinstalling the SV-2 USB driver several times, you will likely see several instances of KORG SV-2 in your list. Complete the uninstallation then re-open UnInstDrv64.exe

9. Now you need to remove some of the non-Korg drivers. NOTE! this seemingly does indeed uninstall drivers from your platform. Make sure you have the software to hand to reinstall if required. Honestly I assumed this numbered MIDI list was just some weird Korg affectation but no, apparently it's a Windows-level platform thing. I don't know what else to say. I'm just some guy on a forum. Proceed at your peril.

Click on Option and uncheck Delete KORG MIDI Device only.

Go back to the list and delete enough drivers to free up a slot in the top 10. Complete the uninstallation .exe

10. Plug the SV-2 USB cable in again

11. Re-open UnInstDrv64.exe and (hopefully) observe your KORG SV-2 driver in a top 10 position. If so, cancel out of the uninstaller.

12. Open SV-2 Editor. This time it will be able to communicate with your keyboard.

13. Hooray.

14. For me, all I needed to do was re-plug-in any USB MIDI devices I'd uninstalled in step 9. Windows dutifully reinstalled the drivers and all is well. Your mileage may vary.

Sorry for the wordy, convoluted instructions but I figured we need to record this for posterity. Korg Support seems to be unaware of this problem (or at least unaware/unwilling to give these instructions as they by definition alter non-Korg devices on your platform; I suspect this freaks Korg out).

Hopefully this problem will go away in a future release of the drivers/SV-2 Editor. But until then these mid-2022 instructions may be the solution for you if you cannot see your keyboard in Windows 10/11.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-2 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: