Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnifier for Kronos screen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Magnifier for Kronos screen? Reply with quote

Hi -

I bought a Kronos 88 recently but in the rig I 'm using, it's above another keyboard and so the screen is too hard to read - everything too small and the tilt is just a tad wrong so it darkens in the top half - and this is after I've optimised the position as best can in this project studio room.

So I'm wondering if magnifying the screen will work and whether anyone has explored that option and can recommend a solution?

I see on Amazon very cheap magnifying panes or panels, and even pairs of magnifying glasses to were on the head.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin .
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed a solution to adjust the Kronos LCD screen at any angle but it is very complicated and risky (see sig for a small pic). The easiest solution IMHO is still the cheap glasses you can buy at drugstore. You can also find online similar cheap bifocal reading glasses, up to even 6X.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic!! Alas I won't be able to go that far Smile

but thanks for the other suggestions. I'm actually on the 'cusps' of needing glasses - but of the iPad I think I'd be using glasses for reading all the time.

So - I do have a pair of 1.5x classes bought from Amazon - and - I managed to move the Kronos a few inches closed - and now they work! Everything's big and bright! Amazing! Thanks!
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to apply anti aliasing on text in the kronos global menu. It helps a little too in my situation.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magnifying screen can't really work, because you still need to get your fingers on to the actual screen in order to do things, and a magnifying screen above would get in the way of your fingers.

I'd look into the Kronos Remote app for iPad which duplicates (and expands on) most of the same functionality. You can get an iPad as big as 12.9" if need be. And there are various kinds of brackets/stands/arms that can allow you to place it almost anywhere you'd like.
average_male

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Kronos Service Manual and I'd venture to bet that the best approach to support an external screen (with touch) is to design a replacement for the KLM-3007 board.

The KLM-3007 board takes in the display signal generated from the Kronos' AM1806 (or AM1808) ARM9 Processor. The KLM-3007 mod would require some electronics knowhow (of course) to take this video signal and split it out to the existing monitor and to a separate monitor via VGA/HDMI/DP or USB-C (USB-C would be a heavier lift but a nicer approach as it could carry both the video and input touch data). The KLM-3007 mod would also require connectors and logic to mux (multiplex) touch data coming from existing touch panel and the newly added external touch panel (4 conductors) and send that data to the Kronos' KLM-3003 board connector.

From the KLM-3007 Mod board, there would be some wiring that needs to be made to the back of the case, using one of the above type of connectors for the selected protocol. Special wiring, perhaps just using the 4 conductors of a USB connector for the touch screen data (so that would be two connectors needing to be added to the Kronos, one for the video connector and the other connector for the touch panel data, or if USB-C was used, just one USB-C connector).

Here is the KLM-3007 input signals and a picture of the actual KLM-3007 board.

Wondering if there is an electronics forum one could pitch this idea to for a DIY type of project/quote and build. Perhaps get a GoFundMe type of pool going to get this working. I'd be interested in contributing and would find this to be a very useful feature.

The CH7038B http://www.chrontel.com.cn/upFiles/images/US/By%20Product/CH7038/Datasheets/CH7038B%20Brief%20Datasheet%20Rev_1.2.pdf would do exactly what is needed to take the RGB565 from the Kronos and split that out to both RGB565 (for Kronos LCD) and externally to either a DP or HDMI port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSWt1V0nu8
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It's a nice idea, but even with a multidisplay converter such a project would imply solving a few quite difficult issues. The first is that you might need a different "mod" depending on several variables. For example, older Kronos models and K2s have different PCBs : in a K1 the LCD backlight connector is wired, but not in a K2. Second, depending on the external touchscreen size, you have to fit its X/Y touch coordinates with what is shown on screen. Creating a custom circuit with something like pots to calibrate different sizes of external touchscreens would be quite a puzzle. Hopefully, there might exist some kind of converter for that too. Third, it would be complicated to calibrate an external screen X/Y touch coordinates while keeping the existing one in parallel. A solution for this would be to use a special connector/circuit to disable/enable the existing one when the external screen plug is connected. But I'm not sure I would dare try such a connect/disconnect when power is on without adequate protection.

In any case, I'm sure your idea can be done and that if would be very interesting. Before I even started to do the adjustable angle LCD mod on my K2, I first made sure that it was even possible to achieve by analyzing the different problems involved, so I just wanted to share some thoughts. Wish you the best of luck and keep us posted if you go ahead with it. Cool
litmister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Firstly, just wanted to say that I'm a long time lurker on this forum but this is finally the thread that pushed me to create an account. As an electronics engineer who works a decent amount dealing with video, the idea of adding an external display to Kronos is pretty interesting to me.

I think it would be relatively straightforward to build a "middleman" that connects between the existing display assembly and the rest of the system. This would split off the video signal, as well as intercept the touch signals. You could even (pretty easily) opt to use a mouse instead of external touch screen, and emulate a "touch" signal wherever you click. This would likely be easier than finding a large touch screen, and may be more convenient; you could have a large computer monitor on the wall or something, and then just have a mouse somewhere convenient for you.

With a little bit of work you could also get this to output HDMI. I think that would be the easiest, compared to DisplayPort or something over USB-C.

If I find the time I may get around to experimenting with this, as I think I have just about all the parts I would need lying around to at least try some stuff out.
average_male

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Someone with the skills and background to provide their input and expertise on this matter. Something like this is a out of my skillset and would require a lot of time.

As far as the mouse versus touch pad goes, they make 17.3" (and 15.6" noted in the pictures below) displays with touch (over USB-C as is the one the pictures) and seems this would be plenty large enough. Having a touchpad would be mirroring existing functionality used in the Kronos and user wouldn't have to shuffle things around to work with a mouse. Having a mouse would require extra workspace area (like a small desk or similar) around your Kronos.

Conceptually, here is what I had envisioned for something like this to work. See picture, I made (modded) a swivel-top desk that has a pull-out/extension so one could overlay the touch display over the Kronos when needed and pushed back when not [a static image is being displayed on the screen : ) ... for now? ]:

This swivel sliding top was a modification I made to this item sold on Amazon (purchased when it was $29): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNDV77N

And there is a chip that can manage RGB24 TTL to DisplayPort over USB-C and is why I noted USB-C as that can also transfer touch data. Here is the brief on this chip, wasn't able to locate a datasheet for it: http://www.lontiumsemi.com/UploadFiles/2021-03/LT8718_Brief_R2.pdf So one cable for video, power and touch data. Tricky part is managing the touch over USB and the two 4 pins from the touch screens and MUX-ing them into the Kronos processor.

Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts and approach on this porject as more information/progress becomes available.

litmister wrote:
Hi everybody,

Firstly, just wanted to say that I'm a long time lurker on this forum but this is finally the thread that pushed me to create an account. As an electronics engineer who works a decent amount dealing with video, the idea of adding an external display to Kronos is pretty interesting to me.

I think it would be relatively straightforward to build a "middleman" that connects between the existing display assembly and the rest of the system. This would split off the video signal, as well as intercept the touch signals. You could even (pretty easily) opt to use a mouse instead of external touch screen, and emulate a "touch" signal wherever you click. This would likely be easier than finding a large touch screen, and may be more convenient; you could have a large computer monitor on the wall or something, and then just have a mouse somewhere convenient for you.

With a little bit of work you could also get this to output HDMI. I think that would be the easiest, compared to DisplayPort or something over USB-C.

If I find the time I may get around to experimenting with this, as I think I have just about all the parts I would need lying around to at least try some stuff out.
litmister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That setup looks pretty slick! That LT8718 looks like it would really take a lot of the headache out of it too. I can't find anywhere to procure it, but might try emailing their sales department for some samples.

If you commit to touch-only (which, like you said, makes more sense anyways) and the RGB24 -> DP chip does what it looks like it will, then development would actually be pretty straightforward. Those 4-wire resistive touch screens are effectively two potentiometers that represent X and Y position. So I'm thinking of emulating this with digital potentiometers that would connect to the rest of the Kronos, and then some microcontroller that connects to both the USB touch panel and the internal one. That way there's no analog muxing going on, and it's way easier to calibrate everything to work together.

If I can get the LT8718 I might try putting a test setup together. That one really takes care of all the tricky design stuff, and everything else is relatively straightforward.
average_male

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted sales and they redirected me to their list of distributors, at which point I have a pending email out to Mark Lin. Given it’s Chinese New Year, it’ll be about a week or so before I get a response. Will post an update when I get more info.

litmister wrote:
That setup looks pretty slick! That LT8718 looks like it would really take a lot of the headache out of it too. I can't find anywhere to procure it, but might try emailing their sales department for some samples.

If you commit to touch-only (which, like you said, makes more sense anyways) and the RGB24 -> DP chip does what it looks like it will, then development would actually be pretty straightforward. Those 4-wire resistive touch screens are effectively two potentiometers that represent X and Y position. So I'm thinking of emulating this with digital potentiometers that would connect to the rest of the Kronos, and then some microcontroller that connects to both the USB touch panel and the internal one. That way there's no analog muxing going on, and it's way easier to calibrate everything to work together.

If I can get the LT8718 I might try putting a test setup together. That one really takes care of all the tricky design stuff, and everything else is relatively straightforward.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales Rep/Distributor responded today with details. Datasheet, price for sample ($5 each) plus what looks like PCB design files for importing into Eagle or similar design software? PM'd you about contact details.
Umut Erhan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on this? Very Happy

www.umuterhan.com
www.uesound.com -> Kronos Combi Pack & Sequencer Pack
average_male

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umut Erhan wrote:
any news on this? Very Happy

Unfortunately no. Was thinking about this again the other day and given my novice level of circuit board design skills and experience, it's not something I would have confidence footing the bill and tackling alone.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy in Europe manufactures these for a reasonable price (but you have to ship it)

Plug an iPad in to the back of the Kronos and download the app Kronos Remote

https://3dmixers.com/m/274725-korg-kronos-ipad-nanopad-holder-slider

[img]https://3dmixers.com/m/274725-korg-kronos-ipad-nanopad-holder-slider[/img]

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: