Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What model of piano was sampled for Stereo Grand 2-way SW-1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: What model of piano was sampled for Stereo Grand 2-way SW-1? Reply with quote

I have been using the "Stereo Grand 2-way SW-1" piano patch as my "go to" piano for live work all the time I have owned my Kronos 73 Mk1 and I'm pretty sure I was using it on the M3-88 I had before that.

Over that time, it's kinda become my signature piano sound. I am now at the point of retiring my Kronos to move to a computer running VSTs along with relatively lighter-weight MIDI controllers. I have been trying several Piano VST plugins and can't find one that satisfies my ears in the way the "Stereo Grand 2-way SW-1" patch does! I've tried PianoTeq, Arturia Piano and all of those in the NI Komplete Ultimate collection.

Does anyone know what model of piano was sampled for the aforementioned patch or is it is available in any of the current Korg Collection VSTi plugins? I currently have only the Legacy Collection.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' 2 Way Stereo Grand SW1 sounds very similar to the OASYS Piano Program also present in the Kronos, which is unsurprising since the two programs use the same Multisamples, grouped under the so called ROMs (or stereo ROM), although in the latter, additional Multisamples are used for the top of the velocity range. The OASYS also had additional piano sounds in the EXs1 and EXs2 expansions, and these used different Multisamples still.

The stereo ROM Multisamples probably owe their origins to the Korg M3 and M50, both of which use the same Multisamples. The Korg Collection VST hasn't yet reached the M3 and M50 in Korg timeline terms, and the Multisamples used for the Korg Triton series, which predates the M3 and M50, are likely to be different. Some of the notes played using the Kronos 2 Way Stereo Grand SW1 sound quite similar to the Kronos' Japanse Grand (rumoured to be the Yamaha C(7), but this seems only to be the case for some notes, and then across only a narrow velocity range.

This leaves the possibility of going down the route of sampling the Kronos 2 Way Stereo Grand SW1, and incorporating those samples into a VST, as being the only way to getting as close to the original sound as possible, with its corresponding concerns regarding the legality of doing this.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
This leaves the possibility of going down the route of sampling the Kronos 2 Way Stereo Grand SW1, and incorporating those samples into a VST, as being the only way to getting as close to the original sound as possible, with its corresponding concerns regarding the legality of doing this.

I would say that there is no legality issue with sampling for your own use. Only if you plan to sell the results.

samriccijr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave and List!

I have a 4 or 5 velocity by minor thirds multisample of M3 Stereo Grand in Kontakt 5 and SF2 formats. I can upload it to Dropbox if you are interested. Please pm your email and preferred format, and I will link you to it.

I used bs-16i on my iphone and an evolution controller to play this piano sound for gigs that I did not want to bring my M3. It worked nicely, even though I had to cut it down to 3 velocities to fit the iPhone Ram size limitations.

I sold the M3 and got a Kronos, so I retired the M3 piano samples. I made a German Grand Full Tines Duke Ep equivalent using the Kronos.

My take: if you own the keyboard, you can sample it for your personal non-commercial use (like a personal sound font with a controller on a gig). If you sell the keyboard, Retire the samples.

Please maintain good sampling ethics (no resell, no share, your own personal signature performance use, etc. ....)

Best, Sam in NJ USA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: