Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a CONDENSER MICROPHONE for AUDIO RECORDING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KorgUserPlayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Using a CONDENSER MICROPHONE for AUDIO RECORDING Reply with quote

I'm the owner of the KROSS 61 w|station and I've read in the Quick Start Guide that the KROSS workstation doesn't support any of the condenser mics because they require a phantom power supply. The only hole that Kross does have to connect a mic fo recording audio is a 1\4" phone-jack, which only supports dynamic mics.

A condenser mic uses a different type of input-output connectors/jacks (and different types of cables) than a dynamic one and also has a 48V supply voltage that makes it impossible to connect it to the Kross.

The question is:

Is there any possibility to connect a CONDENSER MIC to the instrument (may be by using some special equipment or/and adapters) ?

P.S. I've heard of a DI-Box tool, but it doesn't seem to work with that 1\4" phone-jack.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ondenser mics get their bias supply from an internal battery, and these will work just fine when plugged directly into the Kross, with a suitable adapter if necessary e.g. XLR to 1/4" jack, or 1/8" to 1/4" jack.

If using a mic that requires 48V phantom power, then a phantom power injector could be used. Something like:

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/peripherals/music-media-webcams/music-equipment/11366-phantom-power-injector-for-single-condenser-studio-recording-microphones-5015972220214.html
KorgUserPlayer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I can't open the link you gave.

Are there other online stores selling this injector to know what it looks like, what's the price etc ?

I've just found some XLR-male to BALANCED (TRS) 1/4-male" jack on Amazon and they said in the description that it must NOT be used to connect a CONDENSER MIC with 48V to 1/4" jack.

The KROSS station also has an UNBALANCED(TS) 1/4"-female input that not allow you to completely eliminate noise. So that's the problem!

There is some information on the Internet that states that you should not connect a CONDENSER MIC to any of the TS or TRS inputs so as not to cause any serious problems with your KEYBOAD STATION.
This can be dangerous and the QUALITY of the recording will not be as good as when using a standard XLR-XLR cable connected to an audio device (audio interface).

Maybe there is a way to connect a condenser microphone with 48V somehow else, for example through a mixer console connected straightly to the Kross?

P.S. Seems that I still can't find a proper solution to the problem...
[/b]
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Yes. Run you condenser mic to a mixer that provides phantom power. Most do. Take the mixer output to the synth audio in.

Cheers

Stuart
e-mail stuartpryer@gmail.com
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phantom power injector in the link is the Chord PH481. Several other online stores carry the product. Hopefully an internet search will find a link that works. The power injector output isolates the 48V supplied to the microphone, so it shouldn't damage the Kross' input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: